Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going to salary arbitration means nothing, Case in point Tomas Tatar took Detroit to salary arbitration then signed for like 4 years @ $5,300,000 i believe then Holland dealt him to Vegas their 1st and 2nd and 3rd round picks. No hard feelings there.
Arbitration ensures the player gets a contract for the upcoming season if the 2 sides can’t come to an agreement on their own. Bert could also just sign his $3.5 mill QO if he doesn’t have much of a case for an increase.

he is coming off an injury plagued season so what is his leverage on securing a long term deal into his 30’s?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't follow you guys that closely, how did he hurt his back?
Nobody knows. One day he was just on the injury report and day-to-day. That lingered for weeks which led into months. All without telling anyone what the injury was until the season was over (maybe it started to come out with a wee or two left)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If i was the leafs id figure out something around

Tkachuk for marner /shrug

Would have been perfect if they could have gotten
Bennet + tkachuk
for marner

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Can't see Toronto parting ways with Sandin or Robertson, they are the closest to being ready for our Roster (Sandin penciled in for 6th dspot and Robertson should be on the 3rd line this year) -- Lilly I think anyways is ready for some NHL minutes, he looked well in the AHL and I could see that being the piece Toronto moves trying to upgrade the top 6, I think 2022 1st/Lilly/Armiov/Hollander are the pieces the Leafs are looking to move when it comes to upgrading the top 6.

Stevie Y should be doing his job and asking for one of Robertson or Sandin, but I don't think Dubas has any interest in trading them for Bertuzzi, especially coming off a back injury. Or at least he shouldn't anyways, we need to start plugging in our younger ELC players into the lineup.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
While the Leafs may have a few decent pieces: Sandin, Robertson, Amirov, 1sts ('21/'22) only Sandin checks our Needs box. We're flush with wingers on the roster & in the system. While Robertson may be an upgrade on some, possibly Amirov TBD, they're not young projected Top6C's/ Top4D's.

Bert is a unique player whose value us much greater than his counting stats, GM's & most fans know this. (look at Hyman).

So a futures package of: LD Sandin + 1st ('21/'22-DET chooses) + Amirov (prefer Robertson) + Mikheyev + Kerfoot?/Cap Dump to fit cap.

for

Bertuzzi (signed/extended to a team friendly deal)
DET 2nd

this Top6 would scare the sh*t outta most teams:
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
If you think Tyler Bertuzzi wil return a blue chip prospect, last year's mid 1st rounder, additional 1st round and 2 useful roster players i would expect to be disappointed.... Not even in the ballpark. With his injury history he is a 20 goal, 45-50 point guy who is a UFA in not too long.

I can't think of recent package that is close to that package in value....

Reactions: paulhiggins

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Looking at the posts from Leafs fans in this thread... we're not going to see eye to eye on what this trade would look like. If we're trading Bert, presumably we'd try for a sign and trade so it's not as a rental. Most of you guys aren't willing to offer Sandin or Robertsson. Most Wings fans wouldn't be willing to move Bert for Sandin or Robertsson without another decent add ('22 first). Liljegren, Amirov, Hollander and the '22 1st are fine pieces, but I see them more as the add in a Bert trade than the basis for one unless it's all of those pieces or something. The kid's a gamer and it was obvious how important he was to our team when we were forced to play without him. Now I know you guys will say "that's nuts, we're not moving Sandin and a 1st for a 20 goal winger coming off a back injury" and that's fair. If you were Dubas, you'd have every right to refuse. Just as if I were Yzerman, I'd have every right to refuse anything less than that. We're not our GMs though, so if there is a Bert to the Leafs trade, one of us will be disappointed with the return... It could be me, but Yzerman doesn't have a history of disappointing me. If anything, he always gets more than I want.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If you think Tyler Bertuzzi wil return a blue chip prospect, last year's mid 1st rounder, additional 1st round and 2 useful roster players i would expect to be disappointed.... Not even in the ballpark. With his injury history he is a 20 goal, 45-50 point guy who is a UFA in not too long.

I can't think of recent package that is close to that package in value....
Remember Bert's been playing for a lottery team, so that "45-50pt player" is actually 60+ on a good team, certainly the Leafs foster a wide-open offensive style...Bert paced for 57pts in 19-20 iirc. Was off to a hot start this season too.

Now as far as trade value, Leafs can keep Amirov, Kerfoot & Mikheyev, we don't need them, I was just trying help with your cap.

Sandin + '22 1st + '22 2nd

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If i was the leafs id figure out something around

Tkachuk for marner /shrug

Would have been perfect if they could have gotten
Bennet + tkachuk
for marner

Marner is significantly better, now if Tkachuk could be brought in to play with Marner and Matthews that's different, I'd empty the cupboards for that.

Tkachuk Matthews Marner would be unstoppable.

But Tkachuk for Marner? Marner is worth more

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Remember Bert's been playing for a lottery team, so that "45-50pt player" is actually 60+ on a good team, certainly the Leafs foster a wide-open offensive style...Bert paced for 57pts in 19-20 iirc. Was off to a hot start this season too.

Now as far as trade value, Leafs can keep Amirov, Kerfoot & Mikheyev, we don't need them, I was just trying help with your cap.

Sandin + '22 1st + '22 2nd
There is no guarantee at all that he produces that much more on a team where he won't get 3+ mins of PP a game and likely wont play close to 20 minutes a game... I also said that is his production considering injuries.

The leafs moved AJ last summer (a worse player than Kerfoot who also plays wing not both wing and center) and got value back (around 2nd rounder). They were on near identical contract. I dont see a problem moving either Mikheyev or Kerfoot and Leafs will most likely get value back. Certainly not paying a mid 1st to move them.....

That is still way too much to be honest. Look at past players who have returned blue chip, 1st, 2nd round picks who are close to UFA. They are all better than Bertuzzi. 2nd line players don't return that value especially when their contract situation is up in the air.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Looking at the Mantha return I'm probably asking for Robertson or Sandin plus Toronto's '22 1st.

Honestly I'm not in love with either Robertson or Sandin, so I'd be more curious to hear what other teams would offer.

Robertson > Bertuzzi. No chance in hell Leafs add a 1st to Robertson for Bertuzzi. Robertson can't be on the table, we have the massive 4 contracts on forward already, we need guys on cheap deals who can chip in. Sandin could be moved for the right piece, Robertson shouldn't be touched imo. I think he's better than Bertuzzi and still on an ELC, and can produce.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He is? Is this because he punched Avs Matt Calvert after Calvert speared him in the gut?
Or has he done other nasty stuff that rates a scum bag title?

For some reason I thought it was Bertuzzi that had a filthy hit on Gauthier in the minors, but it was Dotchin. Betuzzi isn't that bad. He also had a reputation in minors but I think he's smartened up since playing in the NHL. A little tougher to be a bully at this level.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Robertson > Bertuzzi. No chance in hell Leafs add a 1st to Robertson for Bertuzzi. Robertson can't be on the table, we have the massive 4 contracts on forward already, we need guys on cheap deals who can chip in. Sandin could be moved for the right piece, Robertson shouldn't be touched imo. I think he's better than Bertuzzi and still on an ELC, and can produce.

Just to confirm- we're talking about the Nick Robertson who has one (1) career NHL point at the moment, right? He's better than Tyler Bertuzzi?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's possible but Mantha did that and now he's in Washington

I don't think Bertuzzi would be under the illusion that he's guaranteed to stay in Detroit if he signed that contract.

Factor in Bert's age and style of play. 26 years old now, UFA at 27 in 2022. He's not a guy that teams would lock up past age 31/32 with his style of play. So, doing a deal til he's 28/29 likely not in his best interests. But, he needs a productive season to get the term he desires.

See how it plays out with him.

He also has a lot less wear and tear, considering he only made the NHL as full-timer 3 years ago. There's quite a few reasons why he would want to wait 2-3 years, which he'll still be in his prime at that point. One would be that the flat cap would be at an end/nearing an end, so teams would have more flexibility and there would be more money to work with around the league. I think what you're saying is wishful thinking, every team wants a player like Bertuzzi. If he's putting up a 50+ point pace for the next 2-3 years and shows he can play physical, he's going to be highly sought after and most likely become overpaid.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If this happens, its gonna start with at least one of Sandin or Robertson assuming Bertuzzi has agreed to an extension. Its an in division trade so its not going to be for something around Mikheyev or Dermott or any other player thats actually worse than Bertuzzi. I doubt a 2022 1st rounder is much of a center piece either I also wouldnt be surprised if a cap dump of some kind came back to Detroit and Toronto added an extra pick to make it work easier. Or that could be salary retention on Bertuzzi I guess.

Bertuzzi is exactly what Toronto needs. A top 6 junk yard dog that can actually play, not a washed up Simmonds or a fourth line Clifford type

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Realistically i could see Yzerman asking for Amirov+Dermott+Toronto's 2022 1st round pick. Gives us a young up and coming LW in Amirov along with a 2nd pairing LD in Dermott and a late 2022 1st round pick in a strong draft. That's minimum i see Yzerman taking.

No, it doesn't.

Sandin+ '22 1st + Mikheyev + Kerfoot (useful cap dump)

is what I'd expect Yzerman to fetch.
Guys these are way too much for a middle 6 player. Dermott for Bertuzzi. Or Sandin for Bertuzzi+

Lol typical leaf thread. I want your good player but only willing to give up as scrubs. If you want a bigger laugh check out their board. They think some combination of Mikheyev/dermott/Kerfoot is more than fair :laugh:
Have you even seen the offers some fans expect? essentially 2 1sts+Mikheyev lol

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
If it doesn’t involve Sandin or Robertson why does Detroit do it?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Guys these are way too much for a middle 6 player. Dermott for Bertuzzi. Or Sandin for Bertuzzi+

Have you even seen the offers some fans expect? essentially 2 1sts+Mikheyev lol

Some Red Wings fans have suggested laughable prices in this thread, but suggesting Travis Dermott for Tyler Bertuzzi 1 for 1 is equally if not far more laughable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad