Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mantha was lazy and not living up to his contract, Bertuzzi works hard every shift and scores close to 50 points per season when healthy. big difference between Bertuzzi and Mantha.
That is from Detroit's POV. What is Bert's POV on the situation? Takes 2 sides to come to an agreement especically as the player approaches UFA. More leverage on the player side vs coming out of ELC.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Detroit is still in asset accumulation mode in the short-term. The best and possibly second best player on the next good Wings team hasn't been drafted yet. Now is not a great time to overpay for a player's prime years. Save that for the captain.

Get the pick/prospect and sign a free agent looking to rebuild value in his place.

Reactions: BHD

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Didn't realize he's already 26 and due a new contract, Bertuzzi doesn't really fit Detroit's timeline and should probably be traded. I doubt Toronto is the only team interested so I expect a good return.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That is from Detroit's POV. What is Bert's POV on the situation? Takes 2 sides to come to an agreement especically as the player approaches UFA. More leverage on the player side vs coming out of ELC.
Bert has said numerous times that he loves playing in Detroit and wants to play his entire career there. He lives with his Uncle Todd there in the Detroit area so he know's the area well. There's noway Yzerman is giving him a one year deal. And Bertuzzi taking Detroit to salary arbitration makes no sense. After missing 47 games this past season. he'd only get a one year deal at his current $3,500,000 and i don't see Yzerman allowing that to happen.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah we would ask for Sandin, We're not moving Bertuzzi without one of Toronto's big prospects being involved. If Dubas wants Bertuzzi he's going to have to pay dearly.

Which is fine but Sandin is a regular now so he's not likely the guy.

Now if you said Amirov that might be different because he's not making the team this year.

Baring injury Sandin is it is HIGHLY unlikely to be Sandin

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
The Leafs have Dermott as a chip. I can see him being apart of any package bringing over Bertuzzi. I don't see Bertuzzi commanding a massive given contract situation.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Looking at the Mantha return I'm probably asking for Robertson or Sandin plus Toronto's '22 1st.

Honestly I'm not in love with either Robertson or Sandin, so I'd be more curious to hear what other teams would offer.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Ledge And Dairy

Ball is completely in Bertuzzi's court. If he wants out, than Yzerman will likely be looking to trade him.

However, I expect him to sign a 2-3 year contract where he'll get an extra a bit more money to incentivize him to stay, which will give Detroit a bit more flexibility.
They went to an arbitrator last year, there could be some bad blood between them

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Which is fine but Sandin is a regular now so he's not likely the guy.

Now if you said Amirov that might be different because he's not making the team this year.

Baring injury Sandin is it is HIGHLY unlikely to be Sandin
Realistically i could see Yzerman asking for Amirov+Dermott+Toronto's 2022 1st round pick. Gives us a young up and coming LW in Amirov along with a 2nd pairing LD in Dermott and a late 2022 1st round pick in a strong draft. That's minimum i see Yzerman taking.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Surely not a meaningful trade chip for a gritty 20g 20a winger in his prime.

Hard to tell on his prime to be honest. He just had back surgery and the gritty guys tend to fall apart by 30 years old, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Maybe the 22 1st or Amirov are the primary pieces.

I think TOR fans don't quite understand the value of having a player like Bertuzzi while DET fans need to understand he's not a young buck and had a big injury.

The 1st round pick is JT Miller return territory which is fair and a trade I believe Yzerman did make.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Torontos time is now. Bertuzzi seems like a great fit for what they need in the playoffs. As a blackhawks fan he reminds me of Shaw with a bit more skill. That is veryyy useful in the playoffs.

Ledge And Dairy

Going to salary arbitration means nothing, Case in point Tomas Tatar took Detroit to salary arbitration then signed for like 4 years @ $5,400,000 i believe then Holland dealt him to Vegas their 1st and 2nd and 3rd round picks. No hard feelings there.
1 example doesnt make it mean nothing. But we will never know since that info is behind closed doors

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Bertuzzi is 26 and a RFA who is a year out from UFA. He could opt for salary arbitration and then hit UFA in 2022 if he wants.

Really it's now Bertuzzi and Larkin left that are over 22 that would be a part of the Wing's future. Just a matter of how much longer it will take for that future to arrive. Maybe best to give himself the option of staying or going by not committing right now.

Larkin, Bertuzzi and Vrana, Hronek and possibly Fabbri but that's stretching it a little

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Going to salary arbitration means nothing, Case in point Tomas Tatar took Detroit to salary arbitration then signed for like 4 years @ $5,300,000 i believe then Holland dealt him to Vegas their 1st and 2nd and 3rd round picks. No hard feelings there.

No hard feelings except that they traded him six months after the arbitration hearing.

Players that go through an actual arbitration hearing (not simply filing for arbitration but going through with the hearing) are almost always traded within a year. This is the case pretty much across the league.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Unless Nylander or Marner were returning as part of a Bertuzzi package (Washington's 1st plus a prospect) the Leafs have nothing of any real value to the Wings.

Lousy prospect pool / No picks themselves / Older dmen who dont fit theWings timeline

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
With Detroit's cap flexibility and contract status this year, they could likely put together a roster that could make the playoffs within a season or two. In that case you want a guy like Bertuzzi.

If Yzerman is seriously following this slow-burn multi-year rebuild plan, they are likely going to lose Bert anyway. No one is going to want to waste their prime years on a team that isn't going to try to win for 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad