Friedman: Leafs interested in Matthew Dumba

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m not sure he would and while I don’t think it’s a matter of value, I’m not sure he should either. IF you believe Kaprizov is going to be a 30-40 goal scoring, 80+ point winger, it’s not worth trading Dumba to upgrade to Marner.
Marner is a 100 plus point winger, who plays the right way, and does PK. I can’t think of another such player except for Marchand.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Marner is a 100 plus point winger, who plays the right way, and does PK. I can’t think of another such player except for Marchand.

That’s great but it’s not really relevant to my point.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Let me get this straight: So there is a debate whether or not to have Kaprizov or Marner. Kaprizov has never even played in the NHL and he's more valuable than a 22-year old who scored 94 points last year and is on pace for 100 points this season?

Marner has a higher ppg in the NHL than Kaprizov does in the KHL. What in the world am I reading right now?

Reactions: SnizzNasty16

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That’s great but it’s not really relevant to my point.
If Kap is to score 30 and put up 60 plus points, would he be able to do that and PK too? My point is it’s highly unlikely that Kap will be able to do what MM can already do. Marner saves money off the cap because he’s a multi purpose player.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Kap is to score 30 and put up 60 plus points, would he be able to do that and PK too? My point is it’s highly unlikely that Kap will be able to do what MM can already do. Marner saves money off the cap because he’s a multi purpose player.

Marner likely wouldn’t PK in Minnesota as it is now, so I’m not really concerned about whether or not Kaprizov will or can.

And I never said Kaprizov is going to be a 25 goal, 100 point player like Marner, I said IF you believe he can be a 30-40 goal, ~80 point player, it’s not worth adding Dumba to that to get Marner.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
You Toronto fans bringing this up again? Wild aren't trading Dumba for kapanen or Johnson! They don't need either

I'm not a Toronto fan and I was speaking hypothetical.

I was merely showing how Dumba would change the makeup of the Leafs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Let me get this straight: So there is a debate whether or not to have Kaprizov or Marner. Kaprizov has never even played in the NHL and he's more valuable than a 22-year old who scored 94 points last year and is on pace for 100 points this season?

Marner has a higher ppg in the NHL than Kaprizov does in the KHL. What in the world am I reading right now?

Nobody is really saying that he's more valuable.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Draisaitl doesn't play the game the "right way"? Or is it ok for us to start calling him a center again?

Also, wouldn't Marner need to get 50 points in the next 31 games to hit 100 points for the first time?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Draisaitl doesn't play the game the "right way"? Or is it ok for us to start calling him a center again?

Also, wouldn't Marner need to get 50 points in the next 31 games to hit 100 points for the first time?

Yes he would.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Does Draisatl PK, and is he a plus player 5 on 5?
Marner is a more important player to winning than Draisatl.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Nobody is really saying that he's more valuable.

Marner is good, really good but I am not going to sacrifice Kaprizov & dumba then cap space for the foreseeable future.

Wild have way too many long term contracts & big money on contract to take on Marner.

Marner : 11mil
Spurgeon:7-8 mil
Suter & Parise: 6-7
Zucco : 5-6
Fiala
Elk
Greenway
Luke
Etc.. will all need long term money and contract

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry guys, that's my bad. I should have said "pacing for"...he's got 50 points in 40 games for a pace of 102 over 82 games.

I think you did say pacing for. Regardless, I didn’t take exception with your presentation of the point. Just confirming for the guy that keeps calling him a “100 plus point winger that PKs and plays the right way” that he probably should hit 100 before he’s called a “100 plus point winger”.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think you did say pacing for. Regardless, I didn’t take exception with your presentation of the point. Just confirming for the guy that keeps calling him a “100 plus point winger that PKs and plays the right way” that he probably should hit 100 before he’s called a “100 plus point winger”.
That's fair.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Does Draisatl PK, and is he a plus player 5 on 5?
Marner is a more important player to winning than Draisatl.

Drai has the 2nd most PK minutes over the last two years in Edmonton. So yes... [checks standings] I see us sitting 8th in PK and Toronto is 25th.

Being a plus player is highly dependent on your team. In the last 5 seasons, the Oilers have a grand total of 23 individual seasons of players with a positive 5v5 goal differential (meaning only ~4 guys on the team have positive 5v5 each year)... it's been a shitty team... and both Connor McDavid, Matt Benning and Leon Draisaitl have three of those seasons each. So yeah... he's a positive 5v5.

Winning? What would either of our teams know about that? Call me when its 2004 again and you've won a playoff series.

In short:
100 points: yes, he's done it and baring injury will do it again this year. Marner has not and would need to increase his scoring pace to make it this year.
EVENS: Drai has been one of few EV+ oilers, incl 3 of 5 seasons. Marner has been EV+ 1 of his three complete seasons and is presently +4.
PK: Drai PKs on the a top-10 PK. Marner PKs on a bottom 10 PK.

Nobody's casting shade on Marner here... but be careful you have a leg to stand on before doing the same with Drai.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Drai has the 2nd most PK minutes over the last two years in Edmonton. So yes... [checks standings] I see us sitting 8th in PK and Toronto is 25th.

Being a plus player is highly dependent on your team. In the last 5 seasons, the Oilers have a grand total of 23 individual seasons of players with a positive 5v5 goal differential (meaning only ~4 guys on the team have positive 5v5 each year)... it's been a ****ty team... and both Connor McDavid, Matt Benning and Leon Draisaitl have three of those seasons each. So yeah... he's a positive 5v5.

Winning? What would either of our teams know about that? Call me when its 2004 again and you've won a playoff series.

In short:
100 points: yes, he's done it and baring injury will do it again this year. Marner has not and would need to increase his scoring pace to make it this year.
EVENS: Drai has been one of few EV+ oilers, incl 3 of 5 seasons. Marner has been EV+ 1 of his three complete seasons and is presently +4.
PK: Drai PKs on the a top-10 PK. Marner PKs on a bottom 10 PK.

Nobody's casting shade on Marner here... but be careful you have a leg to stand on before doing the same with Drai.
While true, Marner has only played 40 games this season...he's on a 102 pace over 82. Means nothing, just thought i would add that info.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If it makes anyone feel better, I would personally put Marner and Drai in the same tier and would love to have either on my team.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

More accurate to say he is paid more for being so good all around. Its not like he can play the minutes of two players.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
drai is exactly what the wild need and they would give alot for him, not that the oil would ever trade him...…..

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

No, no debate other than the one random fan whose been spewing non-sense for 22 pages.

Marner >>>>>>>>>>

Reactions: smitty10

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
No, no debate other than the one random fan whose been spewing non-sense for 22 pages.

Marner >>>>>>>>>>

Spewing bs? Good for you not to even take into effect the unrealistic nature that wild have one of the worst cap space in league & Kaprizov will be under wild contract longer than Marner

Wild literally have 10 mil to resign 2 restrictre free agents, bring on 1-2 centers & have money for youngster players but please add more money to wild book & trade a potential superstar on a cheap deal in Kaprizov and Dumba

Like some of you here are complete unrealistic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
More accurate to say he is paid more for being so good all around. Its not like he can play the minutes of two players.
Actually MM does play the minutes of two players. He’s great 5 on 5 and on the PP. plus, he kills penalties. Not many, if any, 100 point guys play PK. That’s like being two guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad