31 Thoughts: Maple Leafs' fortunes will decide deadline approach - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2020-1-29_11-14-47.png

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
"They are investigating every good defenseman on the market."

I continue to think this is more about that and people expecting moves from Guerin than about Toronto being that hot after Dumba specifically. The Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott stuff has been hammered to death and back again, but I also think it's a really awkward fit for what Toronto should be looking for.

From the Wild's end Russo's mentioned that they've also asked about Brodin, which makes a lot more sense if the Leafs aren't all that worried about handedness. I still don't think they have the right pieces to offer, but that's the guy you get to play next to Morgan Rielly for the next umpteen years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You now know how CAR fans felt last year when every other thread on this board from Nov 2018 to last season’s deadline was dedicated to one of Pesce or Hamilton to TOR for Zaitsev + Johnsson/Kapanen. It will only get worse...

Wild fans have been dealing with it for at least two years already.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can already tell how this thread is going to go. Leafs fans are going to offer their standard offer for every player (usually including Johnsson, Kapapen, Bracco and 2nd round picks), Wild fans will say they want Nylander and Leafs fans will say "we're not giving up Nylander for someone having a bad year". It will just go in circles like that until this thread gets locked.

If Nylander was comfortable as a center in the NHL and Dumba wasn't having a bad year, I think Dumba for Nylander would make sense. That's about all I see as making sense, though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You now know how CAR fans felt last year when every other thread on this board from Nov 2018 to last season’s deadline was dedicated to one of Pesce or Hamilton to TOR for Zaitsev + Johnsson/Kapanen. It will only get worse...
Mercifully this isn't likely to be as drawn out as that was.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
If Minnesota sells low on Dumba… god damn.

Minnesota IIsn' selling low. Please click this thread.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Friedman also added that he doesn’t think that the <a href="#MNWild hashtag on Twitter">#MNWild</a> will trade Matt Dumba unless they get a huge return back for him. On the <a href="#Habs hashtag on Twitter">#Habs</a>, he doesn’t think the math works out for them to make the playoffs. He believes their big decision will be Jeff Petry, who has 1 more yr left.</p>&mdash; Spinorama Hockey (@spinohockey) <a href="">January 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Ginger Papa

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
"They are investigating every good defenseman on the market."

I continue to think this is more about that and people expecting moves from Guerin than about Toronto being that hot after Dumba specifically. The Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott stuff has been hammered to death and back again, but I also think it's a really awkward fit for what Toronto should be looking for.

From the Wild's end Russo's mentioned that they've also asked about Brodin, which makes a lot more sense if the Leafs aren't all that worried about handedness. I still don't think they have the right pieces to offer, but that's the guy you get to play next to Morgan Rielly for the next umpteen years.

I'd rather Brodin tbh. Dumba is basically a better Barrie.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Minnesota IIsn' selling low. Please click this thread.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Friedman also added that he doesn’t think that the <a href="#MNWild hashtag on Twitter">#MNWild</a> will trade Matt Dumba unless they get a huge return back for him. On the <a href="#Habs hashtag on Twitter">#Habs</a>, he doesn’t think the math works out for them to make the playoffs. He believes their big decision will be Jeff Petry, who has 1 more yr left.</p>&mdash; Spinorama Hockey (@spinohockey) <a href="">January 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks. As it should be.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Different skillsets and I think Dumba still has upside to him, but similar category of player. There's a risk/reward equation with both guys that tends to pay off big... but you want responsible players out on the ice with them.

What would the cost be for Brodin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad