Rumor: Leafs interested in Bert + DET interested in Hyman? 1st post updated

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think Liljegren is not going to make an NHL roster. He feels like the Charles Hudon of defensemen. Looks like he should do well, but never really does. And the 2022 1st might as well be a 2nd rounder, although with how deep that draft is, it could be okay. I think we can do better than this if other teams are interested.

So basically a bottom pairing RD and a late 1st round pick for Bertuzzi, No thanks Bertuzzi is worth more then that to us.

He's 22 and has been trending in the right direction to be a middle pairing guy. And Detroit can't be saying no to flipping wingers for players in more in demand positions. Especially for a guy that 1. has a bad back, and 2. hasn't shown interest in staying in Detroit long term.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
The Leafs to me have four pieces that interest us: Sandin, Robertson, Amirov, '22 1st (I'm assuming this wouldn't happen before the '21 draft?).

I would want two of those. I'm not a big believer in Amirov as a top 6C in the NHL, so for me it'd be Sandin or Robertson and a 1st. Leafs fans will probably balk at that, but to me that essentially lines up with the Mantha return.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bert is one of the guys I would like to see stick around but he is not untouchable. Steve makes the move for the right offer and I will not fault him. Not sure if Toronto will be the dance partner for this tango. As others have pointed out will they have anything to offer to make a deal worthwhile?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I don't think any team would be willing to pay what the Wings ask for Bert should be.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling he might bolt as soon as he hits UFA. No one wants to waste their prime years playing on a team that is gonna be on the outside of the playoffs for another 5 years.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Will Bert even be 100% (or close to it) by the time the season starts? Isn't he coming off back surgery?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Will Bert even be 100% (or close to it) by the time the season starts? Isn't he coming off back surgery?

I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty one way or another.

That’s the issue at play. We have no idea how much impact the back injury will have on Bert, and that’s compounded by the fact that this is his final year of team control.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Starts at Robertson for me. Bertuzzi is in the same division as Toronto and under team control. Hes tough and can play in the top 6. Wouldnt surprise me if he put up 65-70 point playing in Torontos top 6 at all

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bad timing to trade Bert, I’m sure Toronto is interested because they might get him for way less than he’s actually worth.

DatsyukianDekes13

May 22, 2020
Unless nylander or marner were returning as part of a Bertuzzi pckg(Washington's 1st plus a prospect) the Leafs have nothing of any real value to us.

Lousy prospect pool
No picks themselves
Or older dmen who dont fit our timeline

There is nothing in the Leafs prospect pool that would be of interest to Detroit. Pass

Bert is great, but some Wings fans are being a little too protective over a winger who is 26, has back issues, and likely isnt staying long term. If we got an offer involving one of Robertson/Amirov then we should probably take it. I doubt Sandin is involved, but if he is I would easily do Sandin for Bert 1 for 1.

Reactions: DInTheB

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Totally fine with moving Bert especially if take another winger at 6th overall in the draft.

However I think there are alot better options than the leafs. Teams with better prospect pools and young NHL players or even a hockey trade. Like Bertuzzi for Girard.

Reactions: njx9 and golffuul

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is Marner as valuable without Matthews or Tavares as his center? I get the feeling that if he were on Detroit we're seeing a 20-40-60 soft as brie cheese winger instead of the guy that ran up the score in the north division.

He's been pretty solidly productive for a few years now. I think Marner actually has more value if you don't have a Matthews or Tavares next to him because he can play that role offensively. Paying him $10m, though, on top of having those two to center the top two lines...I think that's where you get less value from him as you could stick lesser (cheaper) players in that spot, still get production from it because your centers cam lift those other guys up,

If you're Toronto and can turn Marner into Bert+ another similar level of player while not adding any real net salary...I think that's a win for them.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's been pretty solidly productive for a few years now. I think Marner actually has more value if you don't have a Matthews or Tavares next to him because he can play that role offensively. Paying him $10m, though, on top of having those two to center the top two lines...I think that's where you get less value from him as you could stick lesser (cheaper) players in that spot, still get production from it because your centers cam lift those other guys up,

If you're Toronto and can turn Marner into Bert+ another similar level of player while not adding any real net salary...I think that's a win for them.

Marner has been solidly productive playing with Auston Matthews. Detroit has NOBODY of that caliber, and so you get an 80-90 point PLAYMAKING winger playing with a top 5 NHL center on a high octane, offense-first team to playing with a top 45 (maybe) center on a defense-first bottom feeder team. Marner's production would take a shit in Detroit. You'd be paying $10 mil for $6 mil of offensive production. Maybe even worse.

It'd be great for Toronto to trade him. I hope it's not to us though.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't think he fits on the Leafs roster, the amount of money they'll need to give him in the future would be better spent on defense with all they have already spent on forwards. Unless Bert really wants to play there and takes a really team friendly deal, I don't think they'd be smart to make that deal. Maybe if they're going to shed some salary back to us like Kerfoot, but obv it'll cost them a lot more to swing a deal like that.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'd really prefer to keep Bert but after what Yzerman pulled off with the Mantha trade I'm a bit more open-minded.

Pretty much the same way I feel. Bert has proven himself to be a core type player and he is also at a great age for the team. I think Bert is the type of players teams only trade when they are in cap trouble or have incompetent management that have no idea how to get a functioning core together.

That said we are also talking about Yzerman who is able to work impressive amounts of value into trades of all levels. So I maintain complete trust in the Yzerplan. Players like Bert are a great bluchip asset for him to work with and also the calls that come in for Bert might lead to other unrelated trades. I think Bert's success has all kinds of benefits and its just wonderful to have him on the team.

Edit: I didn't realize Bertuzzi went to arbitration that could change things. Does anyone know if any equivalent players in Tamapa went to arbitration and how Yzerman reacted? I know its in the rules but Redwings tend to take good care of their core players. If Bert forced the issue that might have ruffled some feathers.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Totally fine with moving Bert especially if take another winger at 6th overall in the draft.

However I think there are alot better options than the leafs. Teams with better prospect pools and young NHL players or even a hockey trade. Like Bertuzzi for Girard.
This is the type of move I'm hoping for. Young Top4D/Top6C, ready to breakout. Though Girard needs to add 15lbs of muscle @minimum. His p/gp were very good this season & 2 solid postseasons.

Reactions: Go Wings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pretty much the same way I feel. Bert has proven himself to be a core type player and he is also at a great age for the team. I think Bert is the type of players teams only trade when they are in cap trouble or have incompetent management that have no idea how to get a functioning core together.

That said we are also talking about Yzerman who is able to work impressive amounts of value into trades of all levels. So I maintain complete trust in the Yzerplan. Players like Bert are a great bluchip asset for him to work with and also the calls that come in for Bert might lead to other unrelated trades. I think Bert's success has all kinds of benefits and its just wonderful to have him on the team.

Edit: I didn't realize Bertuzzi went to arbitration that could change things. Does anyone know if any equivalent players in Tamapa went to arbitration and how Yzerman reacted? I know its in the rules but Redwings tend to take good care of their core players. If Bert forced the issue that might have ruffled some feathers.

I don't think Bert is a long term core player for this team. He's a 2nd liner that may score low 1st line numbers (60ish points/82gp) on a better team and those aren't the core guys you build around in this league unless you want to end up a perpetual bubble team or unless they play damn strong defense.

That said, I like Bert and think he's one of our better players. But he's not irreplaceable. I'd give him another year or two as a member of this team before he's moved for an upgrade at another position (defense maybe) or a 1st round pick and/or a prospect.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Which Bertuzzi would we be getting back next season? Same old scrappy dynamic Bert? Or back surgery "mostly" worked, non-contact, lost his edge Bert?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Which Bertuzzi would we be getting back next season? Same old scrappy dynamic Bert? Or back surgery "mostly" worked, non-contact, lost his edge Bert?
A bit of both is my guess :(

That's the only reason besides (potential UFA flight-risk & overpay/overterm) that I'd entertain moving Bert now. Let the other team take the risks (but only for a full value haul, i.e. Top6C/Top4D young player/prospect + late 1st).

All GM's know the Bertuzzi's of the NHL have way more value than their counting stats/pts/+/-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad