Rumor: Leafs heavily scouting Carolina

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Our LW depth is ass and people wanna move Marleau and it'd be even more ass.

For that reason I'd rather move Kapanen, as I view him and Johnsson similarily.

Would want to expand it to include Zaitsev and add Ferland as a rental but that's probably asking for way too much.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
AJ has great upside, but I'm doing it.

Worst case scenario we can trade Nylander for picks+prospects and just sign a winger in the offseason if need be.

That way we have an amazing D, our winger depth takes a hit, but we also restock on prospect+picks and we basically upgrade on Nylander, obviously sign the winger first and go from there though.

Wut?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Our LW depth is ass and people wanna move Marleau and it'd be even more ass.

For that reason I'd rather move Kapanen, as I view him and Johnsson similarily.

Would want to expand it to include Zaitsev and add Ferland as a rental but that's probably asking for way too much.
Carolina would never take Zaitsev. They already have 3 other RD, and that would mean they would be stuck trying to move him.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Johnson + Zaitsev + prospect (not Sandin) + 2nd?

Don't think Carolina touches that.

If we can move zaitsev for free it would be nice

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Johnson + Zaitsev + prospect (not Sandin) + 2nd?

Don't think Carolina touches that.

If we can move zaitsev for free it would be nice

Not free but we're likely going to have to add a pick or prospect and possibly take back some other type of salary. $4.5M won't just disappear.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Plot twist: Dubas moves Gardiner in a separate trade and uses some of those assets to acquire Pesce....

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Pesce
Hainsey - Oz

:sarcasm:

Reactions: AppsSyl

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
If we want a decent 2nd pairing we sort of do because Zaitsev isn't cutting it

I'd love to see a Rielly Pesece Muzzin Dermott as our top 4 next year. (Hainsey Gardiner UFA)

We might have to revisit the trade in the offseason after the RFAs are signed tho.

Reactions: Kiwi

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Plot twist: Dubas moves Gardiner in a separate trade and uses some of those assets to acquire Pesce....

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Pesce
Hainsey - Oz

:sarcasm:

Id like to see Rielly back to his strong side.

Rielly - Pesce

Muzzin - Hainsey

Dermott - Oz

With Zaitsev and Gardiner gone

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A defenseman (either Gardiner or Zaitsev most likely) would have to go the other way, or in a separate deal. Carolina does not need defense, so that would be a huge sticking point on their end.

That being said, it should not be hard to find a taker for either Gardiner or Zaitsev. Just a matter of the return more than anything. We need some futures, possibly even to add on top of Johnsson to get this deal done. The trade of one of those two guys could be the assets they need to get Pesce and maybe Ferland (who I think they would target as well).

That may be tough to swing, but Dubas has 20 days to do it so who knows.

I will just say if the Leafs did something like Johnsson + Gardiner's assets in a separate deal + B prospect (i.e. Rasanen or SDA) for Pesce + Ferland, I think the Leafs end up better now (which makes dealing Gardiner worth it) and have the better piece long term (Pesce vs. Johnsson). Meanwhile, Carolina eases up their log jam, gets short term and long term scoring depth for relatively cheap, and gets probably 3 higher end future assets as well.

At the draft, they can look at dealing Zaitsev and Brown for some futures and then looking at cheaper replacements. Maybe Dermott or Rielly end up on their off-side for next season, but at least they'll have a full summer and training camp to adjust.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Also to throw it out there, Miro Aaltonen (remember him) is still Leafs property. He has 40 points in 55 games, which is first on his team (one ahead of Alex Semin, and 16 more than 3rd place, so he's one of their headliners) and can play all three forward positions with two-way skill (he can play PP and PK). I think his stint with the Marlies really helped his defensive game. He had 44 points in 59 games two seasons prior with his KHL team (he was third then) and a much worse +/- despite similar production.

Last year with the Marlies, he was a top 6 center who put up 43 points in 63 games including 13 points in 20 games in the playoffs. He was one of the most underrated performers, and had he been highlighted like Johnsson had been, and not gone through a couple of slumps/injuries, he probably could have gone a PPG last year. People wanted him as our 4C over Lindholm before he went back to the KHL.

He'd be 26 by the start of next season, so he is someone who could easily and immediately make the jump to the NHL on either the 3rd or 4th line. I originally thought he would be an ideal cheap replacement for Par Lindholm, who likely gets a better offer from another NHL team, but he could be an option to replace Johnsson as well. I wouldn't be shocked if he step into the Johnsson role immediately, be a two-way presence (maybe even play on the 2PK), and even put up 40 points if he's given PP time and good linemates.

He'd be more than willing to come back and have a legit shot at the NHL. With the role we can promise him, he'd have a good chance to make a pay day and a long term career with us or another team after one year in the NHL.

Reactions: Lauro

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I might prefer to trade Kap to AJ. We're deeper on the right side than the left side. Kap will probably command a higher salary this off season. Johnson's game is also more east-west which I feel will be more effective in tight-checking, playoff type games than Kap's north-south game, and Johnsson is fast enough to play north-south as well.

It's close but I probably keep Johnsson. Plus Kap might have more name brand appeal to Carolina as the son of Sami.

Reactions: Visnovsky

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd wait to see what we do with Gardiner in the summer. I wouldnt mind a Dermott-Gardiner pairing. They looked amazing together against the pens

They rarely played together, and the things that stick in everyone's minds are the two goals they picked up (although really, Gardiner did nothing except make a simple pass to Dermott on both of them, and Dermott's amazing shots were what made things happen). I think they got hemmed in a few times and after that Babcock decided not to do it anymore, except on the odd offensive zone draw.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dermott-Zaitsev though. I think the games they played together when Gardiner was out were Zaitsev's best games this season. I think he ended up like doubling his season production in the course of like 3 games too. Gardiner-Hainsey makes a lot more sense anyways. Hainsey would be more than willing just to sit back and cover Gardiner most of the time.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I might prefer to trade Kap to AJ. We're deeper on the right side than the left side. Kap will probably command a higher salary this off season. Johnson's game is also more east-west which I feel will be more effective in tight-checking, playoff type games than Kap's north-south game, and Johnsson is fast enough to play north-south as well.

It's close but I probably keep Johnsson. Plus Kap might have more name brand appeal to Carolina as the son of Sami.

If we are trading Kapanen, it would mean less of a plus for sure.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Any trade where we lose a forward from the roster I would love it if we could get a forward back to keep our depth in line.

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
OK count me as not getting the Pesce love. dude hasn't really don't anything to get excited about. is he a shut down type guy or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad