Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Frank Corrado to a 1 year 1 way 600k contract.

Mad Brills*

Care to explain this opinion?

7D, with a RHD as your 7th is a good idea, and polak is reportedly not going to play every game. So dumping someone babcock overuses for even a 5th is a good idea, because there's a 0% chance he's back in 2017/18. And trade someone upfront so you don't have to use LTIR this year.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
7D, with a RHD as your 7th is a good idea, and polak is reportedly not going to play every game. So dumping someone babcock overuses for even a 5th is a good idea, because there's a 0% chance he's back in 2017/18. And trade someone upfront so you don't have to use LTIR this year.

I can totally see this happening, but who was this sourced from?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I thought any excess salary cap CAN be transferred to the next year (only if you don't have the cap space on the current year). It would be best to not put us 'in debt' on future years if we can help it.

Carrying over a couple million to next year would have little impact, they'll have plenty of room with no significant RFAs to sign.

Mad Brills*

Carrying over a couple million to next year would have little impact, they'll have plenty of room with no significant RFAs to sign.

true, but instead of 15 million for example, in cap space, you'll have 10.

It matters.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It matters.

Yes but what put us in the position to lose all that cap space?

Our youth playing to their peak projections as rookies.

Either way, it could be a very good thing to be in the position you speak of.

ForSpareParts*

Same.

Gardiner is a bad example of that though.

He's received a ton of hate on these boards in the past. He was very much underrated until his advanced stats brought light into how effective he is.

Ironic, similar story with Marincin.

I got interested in him when EDM fans got ticked off about the deal with Toronto.

No. That is not true.

I guess I took notice of him when he started playing with Rielly.

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007
Need to sign Manrincin to a 2 yr contract or we'd have to expose Carrick as part of the expansion draft:

All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Or we can just trade for someone or extend one of Corrado/Polak/Hunwick. Still a long ways away.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Depth signing. Likely doesn't play much. Our organizational depth at the pro level is weak on D, so you need guys like this who can bounce back and forth from Marlies to Leafs.

Mr Hockey*

Corrado will be healthy from the start of the coming season, should be lots of competition on our D this season.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007

It matters.

You don't stock pile cap space from year to year and allow it accumulate. So if you are not spending to the cap, 10 million or 15 million in cap means diddly squat.

Mad Brills*

Or we can just trade for someone or extend one of Corrado/Polak/Hunwick. Still a long ways away.

since zaitsev is exempt, just go 3d/7f or 8 skaters and 1D, and sign corrado again while exposing him.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
This is hilarious. When we took him from Van you all were screaming about how stupid they were to let a 3/4 guy off on waivers. Now he's a 7/8 and will play with the marlies (even though hes on a one way deal!?!?). What the hell is wrong with our fan base. Embarassing

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is hilarious. When we took him from Van you all were screaming about how stupid they were to let a 3/4 guy off on waivers. Now he's a 7/8 and will play with the marlies (even though hes on a one way deal!?!?). What the hell is wrong with our fan base. Embarassing

I don't remember anyone calling him a 3/4 guy. Even his potential was never that high. He had 4/5 potential, and still has it, but he's a long ways away from that. He's a 6/7 guy right now, but here he is a 7/8 guy. He won't play for the Marlies, but he is a 7/8 guy here.

Also worth mentioning that the Leafs signed Holl to a contract. 24, RHD, and was good enough for the Marlies to warrant a contract instead of Percy.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's not the worst thing in the world to have a young kid battle it out for a spot on the roster.

I'm not confident in what to expect out of Zaitsev and Carrick this year. Not to say that they won't make the team, I'm just not sure what's going to happen with them.

And if he doesn't make the team and gets put on waivers, then so be it.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Good signing (not that a 600k/1-year deal can be a bad one).

Corrado is coming off a tough season but he also had some injury trouble with the Canucks prior to being claimed by the Leafs. That's why Babcock sat him for over a month: He spent the time in the weight room trying to build his strength back up. Now he's got a full summer to do just that and will hopefully be healthy at training camp.

This will in all likelihood be a make or break year for him. Either he's got NHL talent or not. RHD have become some of the most valuable commodities in the league. If there's potential there, here's hoping we can find it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
As a $600k depth defender, I wonder if Corrado would be a target by a cap crunched team at the end of training camp if someone suffers an injury...

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I prefer going with 13 forwards and 8 d-men to 14 forwards and 7 d-men. Corrado's probably #8 on the depth charts but at that price you can't complain.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Playing: Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, Zaitsev, Hunwick and Marincin/Polak.

7/8th D: Corrado.

I dont like him but you cant complain about a 600k signing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I prefer going with 13 forwards and 8 d-men to 14 forwards and 7 d-men. Corrado's probably #8 on the depth charts but at that price you can't complain.

13 forwards is best.
You can easily call up Rychel,Brown,Lindberg,Kappy (if all waiver exempt) in the event of Lupul,Michalek,Laich injuries.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I don't remember anyone calling him a 3/4 guy. Even his potential was never that high. He had 4/5 potential, and still has it, but he's a long ways away from that. He's a 6/7 guy right now, but here he is a 7/8 guy. He won't play for the Marlies, but he is a 7/8 guy here.

Also worth mentioning that the Leafs signed Holl to a contract. 24, RHD, and was good enough for the Marlies to warrant a contract instead of Percy.
Canucks fans were positive that he was a top pairing stud and that he was going to be a star. how things have changed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00