Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Frank Corrado to a 1 year 1 way 600k contract.

ForSpareParts*

I honestly don't see him being much better than Percy.

What does Frank Corrado offer to the Leafs?

Faster skating?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Agreed. Moreover, I see Corrado ahead of Polak on the RHD depth chart.

That's not happening. If that was true, we wouldn't have signed Polak in the first place.

Polak is much better than Corrado, and provides things that the Leafs sorely need, hence why we decided to snatch a more or less guaranteed spot from Carrick in order to bring him in.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Confused as to why people didn't want him back. He was benched for the first half of the season, and then when he started getting into games his advanced stats were slowly but steadily improving.

Our biggest position of need is RD, everyone screams about us needing a RD, but when we have to develop RD ourselves it's time to just cut them? I get there doesn't seem to be a spot for him, but I'm sure that's what we were saying about Stralman way back when.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Thanks for the insight.

Always good to see fans of rebuilding teams rip into developing players and call then bloody useless.

Thank god our management has a clue now to ignore these comments so as to not throw away another Stralman because "he's useless".

You are out of your mind if you think he's another Stralman. Corrado doesn't skate well, doesn't pass well and doesn't shoot well. Not every young player turns into something

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
You are out of your mind if you think he's another Stralman. Corrado doesn't skate well, doesn't pass well and doesn't shoot well. Not every young player turns into something

I'm going to politely disagree with you. I think he's a pretty mobile skater and is a decent puck mover. His shot might leave something to be desired. Not saying he's a future Norris winner but he's worth a shot on a cheap 1 year deal. Still only 23 years old

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Holland I still have an appreciation for.

Corrado, didn't really stand out to me as someone we need in any way.

Who is Holland ahead of on the depth chart for you?

Even taking Michalek/Laich out of the equation...

You immediately have to renege on him as a C. Leafs have Hyman and Froese who are way better options at 4C and have Gauthier coming up the pipeline. He's not supplanting Matthews/Kadri/Bozak/Nylander for the top 9 C position.

So as a winger, he's "maybe" battling with Soshnikov/Greening/Leivo/Brown for a spot.

He's definitely not better than Soshnikov, Babcock seemed to like Greening more, and so it comes down to Leivo/Brown/Holland for the 1-2 seats in the pressbox.

Not sure but I think Holland will have to spend a good chunk of time on the Marlies working his way back up to the NHL.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Bringing up an example of how management and our fans quickly turned on a very good prospect doesn't mean someone thinks every young player is as good as that prospect.

The point is that there's people who put down players for no good reason. Corrado was a healthy scratch for almost the first half of the season here, naturally he didn't look all that great when he finally got into a game.

He did however look like a potentially perfectly suitable 3rd pairing D who can fill a gap over the next 18-24 months until some of our youth matures. The perfect role for a waiver pickup who came at no cost on a very cheap deal.

Not every player in the system has to turn into something for them to have a role in helping us move forward.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

He's obviously making the comparison between Corrado and Stralman based on the way people wanted to dispose of them, not based on skillsets.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Every NHL team should have 8 NHL dmen, not sure the backlash here. The guy is sitting in the press box or playing for the Marlies while he waits to get the call. Like someone said earlier, this buys our prospects another year. No need to rush Loov or Valiev this year in case of injury.

If he gets snagged on waivers, so be it.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I'm going to politely disagree with you. I think he's a pretty mobile skater and is a decent puck mover. His shot might leave something to be desired. Not saying he's a future Norris winner but he's worth a shot on a cheap 1 year deal. Still only 23 years old

Okay maybe I need to give his passing more credit but I'm telling you this guy is freaking slow man. His foot speed is not quality whatsoever. I think a lot of fans have the misconception about Corrado as this mobile puck mover and it's just not the case. Only way he makes the team is if the Leafs carry 8 D.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
He's obviously making the comparison between Corrado and Stralman based on the way people wanted to dispose of them, not based on skillsets.

Nice to see some people take the full context out of posts and don't simply draw a line from player to player as a child would in the same discussion. Context is very important when trying to have a rational discussion among adults. Unfortunately you don't need to be an adult to pollute a fan forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad