Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Frank Corrado to a 1 year 1 way 600k contract.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Happy for Corrado. A good bottom pairing guy with a R shot and size. Don't know why people are harping on him so much.

I can see us running with 8D in our 23 man roster next year.

Still need a bit of room for the ELC bonuses.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bringing up an example of how management and our fans quickly turned on a very good prospect doesn't mean someone thinks every young player is as good as that prospect.

The point is that there's people who put down players for no good reason. Corrado was a healthy scratch for almost the first half of the season here, naturally he didn't look all that great when he finally got into a game.

He did however look like a potentially perfectly suitable 3rd pairing D who can fill a gap over the next 18-24 months until some of our youth matures. The perfect role for a waiver pickup who came at no cost on a very cheap deal.

Not every player in the system has to turn into something for them to have a role in helping us move forward.

This! A cheap deal on a young guy for one year. Worst case is we move on from now him and one of the currently developing players takes his spot next year

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Okay maybe I need to give his passing more credit but I'm telling you this guy is freaking slow man. His foot speed is not quality whatsoever. I think a lot of fans have the misconception about Corrado as this mobile puck mover and it's just not the case. Only way he makes the team is if the Leafs carry 8 D.

NHL teams usually go through 10 defencemen minimum over the course of an 82 game season.

I would say a #8 guy would get into 40-50 games minimum.

#8 might seem like a nothing in July but you're 1 or 2 games and a few bumps and bruises from needing that depth in the organization.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
He's obviously making the comparison between Corrado and Stralman based on the way people wanted to dispose of them, not based on skillsets.

Players get dispensed of all the time? I would argue evaluating what players to keep in your organization is more key than evaluating other teams players. I just personally think Corrado is not very good.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
As for Corrado, I like the signing, it's a good price. But he's going to be hard-pressed to make the team.

Barring a trade, Leafs have to ice Polak, Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev, and probably Hunwick.

It would be crazy to think Marincin suddenly falls off the map, so that's 6 already.

You've got room for 7-8... We can demote Cowen if he's not able to be bought out.

So you've got Carrick, Corrado, for sure... Maybe another guy like Valiev, Lööv, or Dermott, not to mention some of our 2016 overagers...

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Okay maybe I need to give his passing more credit but I'm telling you this guy is freaking slow man. His foot speed is not quality whatsoever. I think a lot of fans have the misconception about Corrado as this mobile puck mover and it's just not the case. Only way he makes the team is if the Leafs carry 8 D.

I just don't think he's that slow. He doesn't have the top speed of a Rielly or Gardiner but he skates well, which allows him to keep up with the flow of the game. At least, that's my opinion from watching him last year

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
If we didn't sign these types of depth players people would be complaining that we have no depth. We don't want to be bringing the kids up and down all year if/when players start getting hurt

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Happy for Corrado. A good bottom pairing guy with a R shot and size. Don't know why people are harping on him so much.

I can see us running with 8D in our 23 man roster next year.

Still need a bit of room for the ELC bonuses.

Bonuses are applied to the cap the following year, AFAIK.

And we can also bury contracts like Michalek, Lupul, etc, as the $925K relief to the cap is more than pretty much all our ELCs and prospects.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Nice to see some people take the full context out of posts and don't simply draw a line from player to player as a child would in the same discussion. Context is very important when trying to have a rational discussion among adults. Unfortunately you don't need to be an adult to pollute a fan forum.

Are you referring to me ?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Players get dispensed of all the time? I would argue evaluating what players to keep in your organization is more key than evaluating other teams players. I just personally think Corrado is not very good.

Glad your personal opinion has decided Corrado is not good enough to make the Leafs. Time to cut ties.

Really dodged a bullet on this 1 year 600k contract.

Mad Brills*

they now have 8 waiver eligible dmen. Something is going to have to give.

Mr Hockey*

Yes, we get it. You love Marincin and hate Gardiner.

I dont hate Gardiner, I dislike uninformed fans overhyping players. :nod: I read in here people saying Corado is a poor skater lol

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I dont hate Gardiner, I dislike uninformed fans overhyping players. :nod:

Same.

Gardiner is a bad example of that though.

He's received a ton of hate on these boards in the past. He was very much underrated until his advanced stats brought light into how effective he is.

Ironic, similar story with Marincin.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Are you referring to me ?

Well we're only on page 3 of this thread and you've already posted the following:

He's bloody useless.

Corrado doesn't skate well, doesn't pass well and doesn't shoot well.

His foot speed is not quality whatsoever.

I just personally think Corrado is not very good.

In a thread where people are discussing a league minimum salary for a depth defenceman.

I would say those opinions start to border on child like based on the fact you've spent more time putting down the player then anyone has ever spent praising him due to the reality of him being a depth player and almost 100% of the fans here understanding that.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Well we're only on page 3 of this thread and you've already posted the following:

In a thread where people are discussing a league minimum salary for a depth defenceman.

I would say those opinions start to border on child like based on the fact you've spent more time putting down the player then anyone has ever spent praising him due to the reality of him being a depth player and almost 100% of the fans here understanding that.

Okay buddy thanks for calling me a child haha you're the man you are

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Holy smokes didn't realize I couldn't share my opinion. Relax

Just wondering what your basis for him not being good enough for a 1 year - 600k contract is.

His advanced stats are plenty good enough, he showed a vast improvement throughout the year, and he's a RHD (the thing everyone is constantly clamouring we need).

I'm not his biggest fan either, but I've been proved wrong before and the stats don't lie.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Just wondering what your basis for him not being good enough for a 1 year - 600k contract is.

His advanced stats are plenty good enough, he showed a vast improvement throughout the year, and he's a RHD (the thing everyone is constantly clamouring we need).

I'm not his biggest fan either, but I've been proved wrong before and the stats don't lie.

I've yet to see anyone say they are a huge fan of him in terms of being a future top 4 guy.

I think everyone sees it for exactly what it is....depth guy, who showed good character in a tough spot last year, getting a league minimum deal to be a depth guy again.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Bonuses are applied to the cap the following year, AFAIK.

And we can also bury contracts like Michalek, Lupul, etc, as the $925K relief to the cap is more than pretty much all our ELCs and prospects.

I thought any excess salary cap CAN be transferred to the next year (only if you don't have the cap space on the current year). It would be best to not put us 'in debt' on future years if we can help it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad