News Article: Leafs have Sidney Crosby to thank for Frederik Gauthier

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
......... he had better numbers then lucic in junior...... He'll be great in 2 years, lucic only got 19 points in his 1st yr junior..... to say is was a mediocre pick is just ignorance

I agree.......kid has a passion he will be seen as a steal real soon. A big body center who can skate and think.....who plays a 200 ft game. We drafted a gem.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Then you have some crazy good qualifications beyond your degree, or you know some serious connections.

Because as a recent graduate (B.Sc. from UofT no less) who has applied to many jobs in the past year, I can tell you that getting a 60K offer for an entry level position with just a bachelor's degree is very rare.

I'm sure sciences is a much harder field to break into and obtain a higher paying job, you'd probably need a masters before people start seriously considering you.

Well if thats how much U of T business graduate earns in average right after graduating then I must have been one crappy student, I'm barely earning half of that. I know you never said anything about 60 -70k being the average but your making it sound like it is.

I'm aware not everyone makes that off the bat, most are around the 30-40k region if even that.

Like I said earlier, my cousin graduated from Harvard business school and was offered many jobs in the US and all had major signing bonuses that were capable of paying off the loans for Harvard Business School (which is a hell of a lot of money), so yes Harvard gets you a hell of a lot more. Saying that it is NOT normal for a UofT or whatever grad to get a 60k job right off the bat, much less START at 60k unless you are in sales of some kind or earn bonuses and or commissions. It is NOT a realistic statement to say someone is getting that in base salary much less pay for a masters. That is just nuts. You either have sweetheart deals from family/friends or you have bought in to some university/parent propaganda on the values of higher education. The salary you talk about does NOT happen right off the bat; the masters comment is just a joke.
Anyone who works in business knows that. It's like pro sports actually, why pay someone a lot when you can get someone straight out of university for much cheaper. Unless, of course, you are a hot commodity (HBS) but a bcomm does not make you that.
I work for a major corporation in an upper management type role and know many that work for others in similar roles who hire people like you, so I know what I'm talking about

It's not unrealistic, these are just the jobs I've scoped out already and will be applying to similar ones within the year. I haven't been offered any deals, my only mention of family is my father who is the head of the treasury department for a large corporation. He hires students (with similar GPA's and qualifications to mine) about to complete their bachelors on a yearly basis and the starting pay is just above 60, with the company paying for your masters. So maybe you're aware about how your corporation works, but it's surely not how all work. Obviously this isn't the norm, I have a lot of friends who have just graduated living off 30k yearly if even that, but I'm just saying the jobs exist.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If this kid is as good defensively as people say, and develops into a modern era Bob Gainey, will anyone care what line he plays on?

EDDIE20*

Another gem, this thread...

People will ***** about anything around here it seems. The kid hasn't even stepped on the ice yet and he's labelled a failure. Nice... Can I please borrow your crystal ball?

As for going to school, he has enough brains to get into Harvard. Say he plays hockey for a few years and it doesn't work out, Harvard will still be there. You don't see anyone dismiss Stu Grimson and Ken Dryden (among others) for furthering their educations once they were done with hockey.

And yes, he doesn't speak English very well. So what? Neither does Ovechkin and no one rags on him for it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lmao again I still agree but that's seriously a joke, most entry level business jobs I'll be applying for (with a good chance of getting) start at around 60k with them paying for your masters, this is all from a Bcom and Ryerson U. My dad does hiring for the treasury department at Unilever from universities like Waterloo and U of T and these business students start off with 60k entry level positions, Harvard gets you a hell of a lot more without even factoring in the potentials from networking.

this is hilarious.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm sure sciences is a much harder field to break into and obtain a higher paying job, you'd probably need a masters before people start seriously considering you.

I'm aware not everyone makes that off the bat, most are around the 30-40k region if even that.

It's not unrealistic, these are just the jobs I've scoped out already and will be applying to similar ones within the year. I haven't been offered any deals, my only mention of family is my father who is the head of the treasury department for Unilever Canada. He hires students (with similar GPA's and qualifications to mine) about to complete their bachelors on a yearly basis and the starting pay is just above 60, with the company paying for your masters. So maybe you're aware about how your corporation works, but it's surely not how all work. Obviously this isn't the norm, I have a lot of friends who have just graduated living off 30k yearly if even that, but I'm just saying the jobs exist.

unless your 'father' gets you a $60k job, the real world is going to give you the weggie of your life when reality kicks in. Use him if you can, and go work for his company.

It is not the norm, and i have seen many people who are seriously connected (parents are presidents of finance/insurance companies) get lower paying jobs (still $40+), and were overpaid, and unqualified the day they walked into the office, and still were overpaid, and unqualified the day they were fired for being incompetent, with an unrealistic sense of entitlement because of who their father is/was.

BTW, please edit out the company he works for, because, it would take me about 15 mins of searching on linkedin to find out who he is.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
No they didn't. They wanted to move up to take Morin.

they didnt move up, we didnt move up ...we have who we have, they, they likewise.

does it even matter who wanted which player? may turn out, Det, Tor, and Mtl all picked the wrong player, and it was was/cal or the ducks/columbus (between and after picks) who picked the right guy.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Don't hold your breath. Those same people who hate the draft will say they were behind him since day 1

True, but I think hes going to be much more then a d'amigo or ashton esque, I think he could be a 2c one day.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Anyways, I would still love to see freddy and barkov have an english conversation 1 on 1, it would be glorious

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I know both the Habs and Flames forums were disappointed to see us draft him. He's a 6'5 220lb center at 18 years old and already has good skating and defensive awareness... you would think we took a 5'3 winger with drinking problems. Just ridiculous. I'll take a chance on that package at 21 every year.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
And yes, he doesn't speak English very well. So what? Neither does Ovechkin and no one rags on him for it.

"i swea a gah"
Ya people ragged on him for a while :laugh: but people shouldn't harp on someone for not speaking English well. its just stupid and completely ignorant. Listen to Mats Sundin on draft day and listen to him when he left the Leafs. Completely different and lost that Swedish accent completely

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
True, but I think hes going to be much more then a d'amigo or ashton esque, I think he could be a 2c one day.
Even if he doesn't reach his full potential, he still has his defensive game that could take him to the NHL. Even if its a 4th line centre, you can have another Mcclement possibly by the sounds of it

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
unless your 'father' gets you a $60k job, the real world is going to give you the weggie of your life when reality kicks in. Use him if you can, and go work for his company.

It is not the norm, and i have seen many people who are seriously connected (parents are presidents of finance/insurance companies) get lower paying jobs (still $40+), and were overpaid, and unqualified the day they walked into the office, and still were overpaid, and unqualified the day they were fired for being incompetent, with an unrealistic sense of entitlement because of who their father is/was.

BTW, please edit out the company he works for, because, it would take me about 15 mins of searching on linkedin to find out who he is.

I have no intention of getting a job via my dad, but thanks for the heads up on the company name. I'm well aware that it isn't the norm in terms of entry level positions and I'm also well aware of the realities of expected pay however I was just highlighting a possibility that comes from obtaining a bachelors at a non ivy league school if you work your ass off. Another poster in this thread stated that the average Harvard graduate made 55 thousand dollars a year, all I was trying to get across is this is just ridiculous IMO because of my own experiences and that of someone close to me.

BTW since you mentioned Linkedin, took me 30 seconds to find entry level job postings in Toronto that start off at 50k in the "student and recent grad" section. Again, not the norm but do exist.

Last edited:

EDDIE20*

And since when is $60K considered good money? It's a living wage these days. Most university graduates I know are so far in the hole in debt that their first few years of working mean nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Lol you guys seriously overrate Harvard.

It all depends what he was going to study.

There are always lots of useless degrees everywhere.

Happy to have Gauthier in the system, I love young players who are solid defensively. Kid could be our very own ROR or Couturier.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lol you guys seriously overrate Harvard.

It all depends what he was going to study.

There are always lots of useless degrees everywhere.

I don't think he had selected a "major" or whatever you call them, but he said his strengths are math, science and psychology. He actually made reference to being mentally prepared and focused to be able to keep progressing.

Harvard is just a school but it's no easy to get in there. You need the grades. Idiots can go in there but they usually don't make it out with a degree.

EDDIE20*

I don't think he had selected a "major" or whatever you call them, but he said his strengths are math, science and psychology. He actually made reference to being mentally prepared and focused to be able to keep progressing.

Harvard is just a school but it's no easy to get in there. You need the grades. Idiots can go in there but they usually don't make it out with a degree.

Sounds like Gauthier has his head screwed on straight. Plenty of NHLers return to school once their careers are done. No shame in that.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Even if he doesn't reach his full potential, he still has his defensive game that could take him to the NHL. Even if its a 4th line centre, you can have another Mcclement possibly by the sounds of it

I cant wait until his 2nd full season in the q, he was wayyy above ppg for the 1st like 45 games then slowed a bit due to fatigue, but he can literally work that out.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Why the hell does anyone care what this guy will or will not make if he busts as a Maple Leafs player and instead goes to Harvard?

Seriously, people piss and moan here about the most mundane things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad