News Article: Leafs have Sidney Crosby to thank for Frederik Gauthier

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Uhhh he went first round that pretty much guarantees a decent paying AHL job and probably time in the NHL. From the looks of him he will be NHL ready in 2yrs tops.

Higher education grows your mind and is a lot more valuable than the two years you'll save in the best case scenario of making it to the NHL. Going to Harvard, and being an alumni, is worth far more than the 2-5 years of what he'd make in junior or the AHL.

He should have gone the NCAA route. He'd have the best of both worlds, an education from the best education institute in the world, a budding pro-sports, career, and no debt. At 22.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Higher education grows your mind and is a lot more valuable than the two years you'll save in the best case scenario of making it to the NHL. Going to Harvard, and being an alumni, is worth far more than the 2-5 years of what he'd make in junior or the AHL.

He should have gone the NCAA route. He'd have the best of both worlds, an education from the best education institute in the world, a budding pro-sports, career, and no debt. At 22.

It's possible that his career takes a different turn at Harvard, which is by no means a hockey powerhouse, and he never even gets drafted to the NHL let alone in the first round. Who knows. Can't criticize his decision when he will make no less than $3 mil in 3 years on an ELC soon. Even with a Harvard education, most people don't even make $3 million in a 40 year working career.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
If you were selected by the habs or sens, would you honestly stand infront of a gazillion media members and be like 'My favourite team is the Leafs since I was 5 years old, I've watched them since I was a kid and my favourite player is Mats Sundin, I'm so dissapointed they didn't pick me, etc etc etc.'

Its Obv Fredrick's favourite team is the Habs, he's not going to say that publicly like that dumb Adam Erne kid and be hopeful about getting drafted by them. The Toronto Media would kill him if Fredrick expressed any love to Montreal.

Do you care that Kadri grew up a Habs fan? Obviously not

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
If you were selected by the habs or sens, would you honestly stand infront of a gazillion media members and be like 'My favourite team is the Leafs since I was 5 years old, I've watched them since I was a kid and my favourite player is Mats Sundin, I'm so dissapointed they didn't pick me, etc etc etc.'

Its Obv Fredrick's favourite team is the Habs, he's not going to say that publicly like that dumb Adam Erne kid and be hopeful about getting drafted by them. The Toronto Media would kill him if Fredrick expressed any love to Montreal.

I would be honest. Kadri was a habs fan and said so. However also said his loyalty immediately changed. I find it more odd that he wasnt really a hockey fan, then if he were to have said he liked the Canadiens as a child.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010

Nazem Kadri and his dad were huge Habs fans while Kadri was growing up. Now he wrecks them on a regular basis :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not like he will go brain dead in two years. He can still study while he plays. You make it sound like because you join a team you stop reading, it's just not the case. He will be able to study regardless and if he so chooses will have the funds to complete his learning where he likes.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Why are you throwing Lucic into this? Gauthier is nothing like him.

Um having not only watched the u18 highlights like some of you other "Experts" and actually watching this guy play hockey regularly, his offensive poise is very lucic like and uses his size effectively and is a force in the corners

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

He'll get paid an absurd amount of money for somebody his age. If hockey doesn't work out, he can always go back to school with plenty of money left over.

Who knows, Sid my feel bad and pay for his education.:D

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
My god did this guy run over a dog or something? The dislike of this guy is nuts, any decision he's ever made is going to get twisted into something terrible.

Will try to remotely stay on topic by actually saying props to Crosby. Thanks to him get a pretty good prospect.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
It's not like he will go brain dead in two years. He can still study while he plays. You make it sound like because you join a team you stop reading, it's just not the case. He will be able to study regardless and if he so chooses will have the funds to complete his learning where he likes.
This is going way back but a friend of mine growing up played in the Ottawa area with Denis Potvin when he was coming up. My friend went to another Ivy league college on a full hockey scholarship and ended up marrying(and later divorcing) the daughter of a very rich guy who eventually owned an NHL team whom he met at said Ivy league college and then went on and made a fortune in real estate with all the connections. I think Gauthier should have gone to Harvard.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Phaneuf is a dope and he plays hockey just fine. Forget Harvard. He's not Will Hunting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is going way back but a friend of mine growing up played in the Ottawa area and played with Denis Potvin when he was coming up. My friend went to Yale on a full hockey scholarship and ended up marrying(and later divorcing) the daughter of the guy who then owned the Islanders whom he met at Yale and then went on and made a fortune in real estate with all the connections. I think Gauthier should have gone to Harvard.

Networking can still be done during and post hockey. He can still go to Harvard if it doesn't pan out for him. If he were slated to be a 3rd rounder I would agree with you. This is a very talented first round hockey talent here.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
What the hell did I just read.
What I'm saying is that having a degree from a place like Harvard isn't going to hurt you one bit and the way the NCAA is probably won't hurt your draft position that much. But if your hockey career doesn't pan out having all the connections you have made at one of those schools will certainly help you out later on in life. Making a few million in your early '20's sounds great but unless you get that second NHL contract what are you going to do the rest of your life?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's possible that his career takes a different turn at Harvard, which is by no means a hockey powerhouse, and he never even gets drafted to the NHL let alone in the first round. Who knows. Can't criticize his decision when he will make no less than $3 mil in 3 years on an ELC soon. Even with a Harvard education, most people don't even make $3 million in a 40 year working career.

Uhhh I agree with most of what you said except your estimated earnings potential, this is Harvard were talking about.... I'd be very surprised if even a handful of Harvard graduates didn't make 3 mil in 40 years.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Networking can still be done during and post hockey. He can still go to Harvard if it doesn't pan out for him. If he were slated to be a 3rd rounder I would agree with you. This is a very talented first round hockey talent here.

I"m not knocking his talent but if having the Harvard degree to fall back on if things don't work out which is generally the norm in the NHL wouldn't have been a bad thing.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
What I'm saying is that having a degree from a place like Harvard isn't going to hurt you one bit and the way the NCAA is probably won't hurt your draft position that much. But if your hockey career doesn't pan out having all the connections you have made at one of those schools will certainly help you out later on in life. Making a few million in your early '20's sounds great but unless you get that second NHL contract what are you going to do the rest of your life?

If Gauthier is worried about failing in his hockey career, then he simply will.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Really don't get the hate for the kid. At 21 he was right where most scouting agencies and experts had him, some had him several picks higher, and he fills an organizational need to a tee.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Toronto Star.

In Bergevin's post draft scrum he also specifically hinted trying to move up to no avail. Would have been nice to get a 2nd out of Montreal.

Had the Leafs moved down, they were rumored to like Emille Poirier and Ryan Hartman.

Thank ****ing god that didn't materialize :laugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Uhhh I agree with most of what you said except your estimated earnings potential, this is Harvard were talking about.... I'd be very surprised if even a handful of Harvard graduates didn't make 3 mil in 40 years.
Most people who work a government job will make more than that in 40 years and retire with a pension worth another million at least. Lebanese Leaf if you think people who go to top Ivy league schools don't have a head start on the average civil servant you have a lot to learn

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This is going way back but a friend of mine growing up played in the Ottawa area with Denis Potvin when he was coming up. My friend went to another Ivy league college on a full hockey scholarship and ended up marrying(and later divorcing) the daughter of a very rich guy who eventually owned an NHL team whom he met at said Ivy league college and then went on and made a fortune in real estate with all the connections. I think Gauthier should have gone to Harvard.

He can still go if he chooses, but earning potential is pretty damn high as a top NHL player. You may be almost guaranteed a high earning potential from Harvard, but you still need to make it through the schooling. What if he choose Harvard NCAA, hockey interest and dedication fizzled and then ended up dropping out/being bottom of class. Basically, there's upside and downside to every decision and you took an extreme positive. Meeting a mega rich girl, gaining connections and making a fortune in real estate. What if he doesn't make elite connections and just ends up grinding away at a job (albeit a high paying one) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad