News Article: Leafs have Sidney Crosby to thank for Frederik Gauthier

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Why the hell does anyone care what this guy will or will not make if he busts as a Maple Leafs player and instead goes to Harvard?

Seriously, people piss and moan here about the most mundane things.

It's not that. The debate was started when a poster said that he wasn't wise to choose an NHL route over going to Harvard. I argued that in one NHL ELC, he can make more than an average Harvard graduate makes in a lifetime.

As much as I respect higher education, I think Gauthier made the right decision. I am going into teaching, my whole career will be about preaching the importance of education, but if Freddy was my student, I would have given him the same advice as Sid did. It is a much greater life opportunity than any Harvard degree.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's not that. The debate was started when a poster said that he wasn't wise to choose an NHL route over going to Harvard. I argued that in one NHL ELC, he can make more than an average Harvard graduate makes in a lifetime.

As much as I respect higher education, I think Gauthier made the right decision. I am going into teaching, my whole career will be about preaching the importance of education, but if Freddy was my student, I would have given him the same advice as Sid did. It is a much greater life opportunity than any Harvard degree.

ECL+2 year x 2-4mil contract>>>>>>>>>>>>Life after University(in most cases)

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

I agree, this was a wise move for Gauthier. In the real world these days a degree won't get you much if you are just entering in the work force. Experience trumps all, so why become a pro hockey player with a degree only to find out when you retire that all of your knowledge is obsolete?

The piece of paper is nice but that can be done part time if he really is motivated. Until you get to the executive level, the degree isn't all that material anyway, so there shouldn't be a rush.

Athletic ability however is a finite time window.

EDDIE20*

With all the *****ing and moaning in this thread, it would be interesting to know how many here would pass up a potential NHL career and all the perks that come with it.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I cant wait until his 2nd full season in the q, he was wayyy above ppg for the 1st like 45 games then slowed a bit due to fatigue, but he can literally work that out.
Yah, hopefully he excels his offensive game some more. To be fair, even if fans got who they "wanted" they'd still complain

holden57

Feb 3, 2011
......... he had better numbers then lucic in junior...... He'll be great in 2 years, lucic only got 19 points in his 1st yr junior..... to say is was a mediocre pick is just ignorance

I wonder why NHL teams have scouts when apparently all they have to do is look at a players point totals to determine how good they'll be. To say he'll be great in 2 years because he had better stats than Lucic in junior hockey is ignorance.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I wonder why NHL teams have scouts when apparently all they have to do is look at a players point totals to determine how good they'll be. To say he'll be great in 2 years because he had better stats than Lucic in junior hockey is ignorance.

Agreed, but on the flip side everyone saying he's a 3rd line offensive dud is also only looking at the point totals and expecting more.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

LOL its not just lucic, look at the average for players 1st years in the chl, it drastically jumps the next year in most cases, the fact that he only got 8 points in his last 20 games or whatever shows that there is clear room for improvement when he gains more stamina to counteract the fatigue of his 1st real season. I guarantee you right now that he will be even better next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Another gem, this thread...

People will ***** about anything around here it seems. The kid hasn't even stepped on the ice yet and he's labelled a failure. Nice... Can I please borrow your crystal ball?

As for going to school, he has enough brains to get into Harvard. Say he plays hockey for a few years and it doesn't work out, Harvard will still be there. You don't see anyone dismiss Stu Grimson and Ken Dryden (among others) for furthering their educations once they were done with hockey.

And yes, he doesn't speak English very well. So what? Neither does Ovechkin and no one rags on him for it.

because he doesn't play for the Leafs, duh.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
The jury is out on this kid. However his interviews were very odd.

1) didnt watch hockey
2) didnt have a favorite team
3) was going to pick between football and hockey, and chose hockey
4) wasnt sure if he wanted to go to Harvard or QMJHL

Didnt sound like he tried to get to where he was, almost as if it fell into his hands... Either that or this is just a kid that succeeds at w.e he does. Seemed like hockey was just an element to his life, not his entire life like a lot of these players. Hopefully he is motivated and doesnt suddenly decide to take up knitting.

This simply means that he's an incredible athlete. A lot of players choose between 2 sports when they get drafted. Look at Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco. He was supposed to go into Baseball but took on football instead.

As for not watching hockey, I am positive he watched enough hockey as a kid and growing up. His favourite team is definitely the Habs he just didn't want to be an idiot and expose it to everyone. He explained that he never thought he'd ever wear a Maple Leafs jersey but when he go drafted he said he was extremely happy.

Listen to Matt Finn's interview last year. He expressed that he was a diehard Leafs fan and loved watching Sundin and all those greats play. Had he been drafted by Montreal do you think he would have said that?

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Same thing happens every year. People here need anything to complain about. Complaining that the Leafs passed on Paajarvi and took Kadri and then last year with Rielly. Doesn't matter who it is, people here will find something wrong.

What has Paajarvi done? Kadri has certainly out-played and out-scored him.

holden57

Feb 3, 2011
LOL its not just lucic, look at the average for players 1st years in the chl, it drastically jumps the next year in most cases, the fact that he only got 8 points in his last 20 games or whatever shows that there is clear room for improvement when he gains more stamina to counteract the fatigue of his 1st real season. I guarantee you right now that he will be even better next year.

What? A player in Major Junior hockey will get better as they get older? Way to go out on a limb there.

ALine

May 14, 2012
What? A player in Major Junior hockey will get better as they get older? Way to go out on a limb there.

I really don't know what else could be asked for. Our prospect progressing steadily every year. Ill take that!

mikebel111*

shinkaruk is hugely overrated. he has a ton of question marks.

love our pick

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Toronto Star.

In Bergevin's post draft scrum he also specifically hinted trying to move up to no avail. Would have been nice to get a 2nd out of Montreal.

Had the Leafs moved down, they were rumored to like Emille Poirier and Ryan Hartman.

Montreal wanted to move up to draft Morin...they were lookig at top 10 pick

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Toronto Star.

In Bergevin's post draft scrum he also specifically hinted trying to move up to no avail. Would have been nice to get a 2nd out of Montreal.

Had the Leafs moved down, they were rumored to like Emille Poirier and Ryan Hartman.

First off I don't hate the Gauthier pick, but I did not think Shinkurak would be there. To hear they would have moved down and still not taken him is showing a continuance to me of Leaf management mentality of not valuing offensive skill. On a Canuck board, fans there are generally over the moon getting Shinraruk as I think they should be. Where does offensive skill rank?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad