Friedman: Leafs have received calls on Tyson Barrie

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sorry but this is just a pathetic argument. "sometimes you just need name recognition".... If you play for Toronto you instantly get name recognition. If you had good past years or if you won a cup you get name recognition. Those things do not show that you are a good player now. Or do you still think Brent Seabrook is a top 4 D?
Bergeron, the player I used as an example when you can use name recognition doesn't play for Toronto, he plays for Boston.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
But by the statistics you provided it appears Kadri is better, but you have a point-scoring doesn't always measure the players.
Correct. Kadri’s defensive game is so far superior to Kerfoot that it makes the difference not even worth discussing.

Kadri is almost doubling Kerfoot’s production while being far and away Colorado’s best defensive forward.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Correct. Kadri’s defensive game is so far superior to Kerfoot that it makes the difference not even worth discussing.

Kadri is almost doubling Kerfoot’s production while being far and away Colorado’s best defensive forward.
Kadri is a good player no doubt. You forget he was a Leaf. But Kadri being a good player doesn't make Kerfoot bad. Besides, Barrie is the player in the deal who hasn't fit in with Toronto.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but couldn't they just take the futures for Barrie and then try to flip them for another rental - one who would be a better fit? I don't necessarily agree with the idea that a D-man has to be coming back.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but couldn't they just take the futures for Barrie and then try to flip them for another rental - one who would be a better fit? I don't necessarily agree with the idea that a D-man has to be coming back.
They could do that and trade for a back up or call up player in the minors. Or just for some cap flexibility.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Barrie is a better player than he has shown so far this year with the Leafs, but I always maintained that he was the wrong type of player for the Leafs. He should be easy to trade should the Leafs want to go that route, but getting a return that is ready to play now might be tough. The only team likely to be interested in him will be contenders, and they will only want to give up futures.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wonder if Van is one of the ones that is calling.... Not sure what value they could give. They were close on him at the draft. Now that they look like they may be a playoff team I wonder what would get it done from them

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Sorry leaf fans, but you're not going to fool any Avs fans into thinking Kerfoot is good defensively. While I think it'd be easy to point out threads started by leaf fans about how good Kadri is defensively.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
I could see something around Heed+ for Barrie. Both are expiring UFA & it would give SJS a RD depth of Karlsson-Burns-Barrie which fits their uptempo puck moving/attack game. Heed plays more of the defensive style the Leafs need & makes less $, alleviating some of the cap crunch and they’re feeling. Idk just spitballing here

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mirtle is now suggesting that a Barrie trade request may happen.
The Tyson Barrie situation is a good example of the dressing-room issues at play. Elliotte Friedman reported on Saturday night’s broadcast that Barrie had not requested a trade. But based on what I’ve been hearing in recent weeks, that still may happen. He is clearly not happy in Toronto, and his camp has had recent talks with the front office about the situation.
Barrie is goalless and on pace for the worst season of his career, right when he’s about to hit unrestricted free agency, at a position (right defence) where the demand is often through the roof. They were expecting a big payday north of $45-million, long term. That’s suddenly in jeopardy.
Mirtle: The pros and cons of the Maple Leafs moving on from...

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This thread is full of revisionist history. At the time of the Barrie/Kerfoot deal the collective thought was that Toronto had added awesome depth to their d-line and acquired a 3rd C replacement for Kadri AND Colorado retained on Barrie. Now I realize the first 20 games haven't unfolded the way most suspected but the Tor/Col trade was seen by many around the hockey world as a clear Toronto win. Now I'm a Vancouver fan, and the Toronto bias surrounding all things hockey makes me mad, and I do enjoy watching them suffer a little, but lets not paint this as a clear win for Colorado. Secondly cream always rises to the top. Barrie is extremely talented and yes he has taken some time to fit into the Leafs and his play has suffered but let him get his feet under him and used to his team and systems. He will begin to produce again and he will impact the game positively through the PP and his ability to move the puck.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Barrie for Justin Schultz. Both UFAs at the end of the season. Toss in a mid round draft pick to balance it out either way.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
This thread is full of revisionist history. At the time of the Barrie/Kerfoot deal the collective thought was that Toronto had added awesome depth to their d-line and acquired a 3rd C replacement for Kadri AND Colorado retained on Barrie. Now I realize the first 20 games haven't unfolded the way most suspected but the Tor/Col trade was seen by many around the hockey world as a clear Toronto win. Now I'm a Vancouver fan, and the Toronto bias surrounding all things hockey makes me mad, and I do enjoy watching them suffer a little, but lets not paint this as a clear win for Colorado. Secondly cream always rises to the top. Barrie is extremely talented and yes he has taken some time to fit into the Leafs and his play has suffered but let him get his feet under him and used to his team and systems. He will begin to produce again and he will impact the game positively through the PP and his ability to move the puck.
If Babcock continues to force Tyson to play a puck-passing role, it will continue to fail for him.

Barrie’s strength lie on his decision making, while the puck is on his stick and he’s moving his feet.

If all Babcock wants are outlet and stretch passes, I very much doubt it’s going to change for Barrie. He’s forcing him to play in a manner that isn’t to his strengths. He was never a really good stretch passer to begin with. Anyone who’s watched him recently could tell you that.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
At this point the Leafs need to ride it out. His value is too low at this point to bring anything back other than MAYBE a second round pick. Which doesn't exactly solve any of the Leafs problems.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Man, who could've seen this coming? He was pretty consistent with the Avs, it's not like playing with a new team is like learning rocket appliances. Players almost always come through big in their contract year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Babcock continues to force Tyson to play a puck-passing role, it will continue to fail for him.

Barrie’s strength lie on his decision making, while the puck is on his stick and he’s moving his feet.

If all Babcock wants are outlet and stretch passes, I very much doubt it’s going to change for Barrie. He’s forcing him to play in a manner that isn’t to his strengths. He was never a really good stretch passer to begin with. Anyone who’s watched him recently could tell you that.

Honestly curious if it's instructions by Babcock to specifically NOT carry the puck, or Barrie being a bit tentative with a new club, and his early struggles not helping his confidence any.

Rielly seems to rush the puck up the ice when he sees some room. So if Babcock's giving all his defense a red light, you'd see him carrying it less often than he does.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
At this point the Leafs need to ride it out. His value is too low at this point to bring anything back other than MAYBE a second round pick. Which doesn't exactly solve any of the Leafs problems.
Yep. Not to mention it would be extremely embarrassing for Dubas after trading Kadri for him.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Honestly curious if it's instructions by Babcock to specifically NOT carry the puck, or Barrie being a bit tentative with a new club, and his early struggles not helping his confidence any.

Rielly seems to rush the puck up the ice when he sees some room. So if Babcock's giving all his defense a red light, you'd see him carrying it less often than he does.
It’s not solely about rushing the puck.

Barrie was given the freedom in the Avs system to carry the puck.

We have no idea what Babcock’s offensive game plan is but it seems from a lot of leaf fans to be a lot of dump and chase.

It depends how restrictive the offensive strategy is. In Colorado, it appeared Tyson was allowed to carry at will and very encouraged to jump into the play. Much like you see Makar doing right now.

There’s clearly a disconnect.

Reactions: obZen

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It’s not solely about rushing the puck.

Barrie was given the freedom in the Avs system to carry the puck.

We have no idea what Babcock’s offensive game plan is but it seems from a lot of leaf fans to be a lot of dump and chase.

It depends how restrictive the offensive strategy is. In Colorado, it appeared Tyson was allowed to carry at will and very encouraged to jump into the play. Much like you see Makar doing right now.

There’s clearly a disconnect.

The D isn't allowed to skate the puck past our blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad