Friedman: Leafs have received calls on Tyson Barrie

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Last year l, Kadri played at a sub 50 point pace and roughly 20 goals.
People were unsure if it was solely usage and role or (as I saw many people write) possible signs of slowing down.

This year he’s playing well, back to his 30 goal 60 point pace and, so far, knock on wood, hasn’t been in the news for negative reasons.

Why wouldn’t his stock rise?

He's trying to convince himself that the Leafs are victims. It's quite a feat in the sport of mental gymnastics, and I believe he is going for the gold.

Mar 26, 2010
I see Barrie running back to Colorado after this season anyway. You could almost bank on it.

The Leafs are Better off cutting their losses and trading him now. It was a really terrible trade that Toronto ended up on the short end of.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last year l, Kadri played at a sub 50 point pace and roughly 20 goals.
People were unsure if it was solely usage and role or (as I saw many people write) possible signs of slowing down.

This year he’s playing well, back to his 30 goal 60 point pace and, so far, knock on wood, hasn’t been in the news for negative reasons.

Why wouldn’t his stock rise?

Oh I agree, based on his play his stock has gone up. But let's not pretend that his stock didn't shoot up to the sky before he ever played a game for the Avs.

Anyhow, Kadri was a great player for us for years, I always liked him and I always stuck up for him when others were dumping on him. Well, at least until he got suspended for the 2nd time in the playoffs, I really wanted him gone after than and I was very pleased that we got as much as we did for him.

I hope he continues to play well for you and most importantly, I hope he can keep his composure in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Oh I agree, based on his play his stock has gone up. But let's not pretend that his stock didn't shoot up to the sky before he ever played a game for the Avs.

Anyhow, Kadri was a great player for us for years, I always liked him and I always stuck up for him when others were dumping on him. Well, at least until he got suspended for the 2nd time in the playoffs, I really wanted him gone after than and I was very pleased that we got as much as we did for him.

I hope he continues to play well for you and most importantly, I hope he can keep his composure in the playoffs.
As to your first paragraph... based on what exactly.

The trade thread at the time was one big mosh mash of people liking for the Avs to hating it for the Avs.

Some believed he would rebound with a bigger role, some thought he was legitimately slowing down.

Opinions were all over the spectrum.

Interesting that you guys believe in this Kadri’s stock up instantly after the trade... meanwhile are we going to pretend that Avs fans didn’t have to read about Selke-level Kerfoot for a few months.

Seems to work both ways.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Its not that it rose or fell. He was a 2C producing at a 60 pointish pace, got pushed to 3C by Tavares, and we all expected him to go back to that 60 point pace if given a 2C role again.

Pretty predictable. The Leafs are the ones who sold short on him.

For a couple of years there he was great, probably one of the top #2C's in the NHL but then he got suspended in the playoffs, had a pretty crappy season and then got suspended in the playoffs again so his stock was lower then it had been in a very long time.

I thought it was a good trade for the Leafs, probably a good trade for the Avs as well, seemed to fit the needs of both teams perfectly. Barrie has been terrible, if you want to judge trades with the benefit of hindsight good for you but that's not the way it works IRL. And if that's the way you are going to do it, then stay tuned because players have ups and downs all the time so you're going to have to wait until everyone's career is done to really know who won the trade.

Win win for both teams IMO.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He doesn’t carry the puck?

I’ve heard it all.

Barrie drop passes to a rushing Forward. It's the same play every time playing with the AVs, but playing for another team they expected PMD. With PMD like Girard or Makar, the AVs are much more potent with their rushes.

Surprised he's doing this poorly, but knew he was over-rated. Sakic maximized the return and glad he's no longer on team.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Barrie drop passes to a rushing Forward. It's the same play every time playing with the AVs, but playing for another team they expected PMD. With PMD like Girard or Makar, the AVs are much more potent with their rushes.

Surprised he's doing this poorly, but knew he was over-rated. Sakic maximized the return and glad he's no longer on team.

Barrie drop passes on the PP like pretty much every NHL team. He doesn’t do that at even strength.

Ugh. Not sure why I bother.

Reactions: Hornstar

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I see Barrie running back to Colorado after this season anyway. You could almost bank on it.

The Leafs are Better off cutting their losses and trading him now. It was a really terrible trade that Toronto ended up on the short end of.

Barrie will never come back, except for an Old Timers Game.

Deficiencies exposed seriously harming his salary demands. Always been over rated and benefited from the AVs opportunities. No chance any team agrees on the $8M+ per asking price. AVs will be among the last teams he'll consider.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Barrie needs a new coach. Babcock is a moron and trying to make him a defensive man. Wrong coach for the leafs and barrie

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't regret the trade but I do miss Barrie

He clicked really well in our offense, so many little Landeskog tippers came because Barrie got the shot through

Reactions: Hornstar

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
With how he has played this year, what is he even really worth?

The smart move (if you believe he’s the player the Avs sold us), and the route I believe Dubas will follow, is to play him another 20 games or so and see how he shakes out. At that point I think Dubas looks to move him. I, on the other hand, would trade him straight up, right now, for Travis Hamonic no questions asked.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Fact!

Doubt many AVs fans would now regret the trade and Leaf Nation wants him gone.
Some members of Leaf nation want him gone others would like to give him a chance. Still others thought Babcock didn't use him to his strengths and wanted the Leafs to trade him for his sake. Now with Babcock fired, they may want to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->