Friedman: Leafs have received calls on Tyson Barrie

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Says there has been plenty of interest. Leafs so far has rejected the idea, but both Barrie and the Leafs have realized it hasn’t worked out as hoped as of yet. However the Leafs don’t want to move him yet.

Says Barrie hasn’t requested anything, but this is an important year for him and he’s a UFA at the end of the year.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Problem is hes unsigned... so your going to get rental pieces most likely for him... and the leafs dont need picks and prospects they need pieces thatll help now

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If they're trading him it has to be a defensemen back, or assets they can use to flip for a defensemen.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A Barrie trade for a shutdown defender would make sense. Would be difficult to make the cap work though

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Hasn't Barrie been pretty adamant about going to FA? He's going to be a pure rental, right?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Barrie's a pure rental that's going to want a huge extension, and he has been pretty awful this year for the Leafs. I don't know that they'd get back much for him, relative to what they paid for him.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
A Barrie trade for a shutdown defender would make sense. Would be difficult to make the cap work though

Ideal, but I have trouble seeing this happen. Which teams have a surplus of good shut-down dmen (good shot suppressors, not roman polak/zaitsev-esque) and are looking for pp quarterbacks?

Reactions: JackFr

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Meh idk if I'd trade him

He just is not working on the leafs. He’s not the #1 guy on the pp and the 2nd unit is funny because whoever is coaching the pp is insistent on stacking the first unit with tavares, marner (when healthy), matthews leaving only nylander on the 2nd unit. Barrie is being carried by muzzin and his pp time can be replicated by dermott or muzzin.

Reactions: TML1990

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ideal, but I have trouble seeing this happen. Which teams have a surplus of good shut-down dmen (good shot suppressors, not roman polak/zaitsev-esque) and are looking for pp quarterbacks?

Exactly. Plus is needs to be to a team who either only needs Barrie for the remainder of this year or are ready to really open their wallets to be able to ensure they can keep him. Seems counter-intuitive, when any team interested in signing him for next year would be miles ahead to just let him marinate on the Leafs while his open market value tanks.

Reactions: travis scott

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That was some awesome defense by Barrie there lol

+/- isn't a good stat, but the fact that Barrie is a -10 in 22 games for the Leafs should give you a good idea for how he has played for the Leafs this year

Reactions: Duffman955

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not for a rental. If Toronto wants to add then maybe but to Calgary for Hamonic makes the most sense for both teams(even though I'm enjoying both teams drown)
Idk about this.

Our PP is hot for now, but has Klefbom really been a good offensive D for our top unit? The fans say to just put Bear there, but I think Tippett must have not seen enough in practices, and manning the blueline is a big responsibility that perhaps isn't fit for a rookie, since there is a lot of danger of shorthanded chances that the point-man has to protect against. Barrie is at least a veteran.

As for Larsson, he's not a rental but he's only got 2 years so it's not a far cry from Barrie's status.

As for Barrie to Calgary, it feels like the same problem in Toronto. At least in Edmonton, he'd be used as the top option for offense. In Calgary he'd have competition and there is risk he would get too many D-zone minutes to be successful.

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad