Friedman: Leafs have received calls on Tyson Barrie

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I want to see how he does under a new coach. Babcock just neutered some of our players on a team that lacks balls to begin with.

Glad Kadri is working out for the Avs, I knew he would. Was always one of my favourite Leafs.

Reactions: kihei

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Some members of Leaf nation want him gone others would like to give him a chance. Still others thought Babcock didn't use him to his strengths and wanted the Leafs to trade him for his sake. Now with Babcock fired, they may want to keep him.

Barrie can be a very effective player under the proper situation. Partner with Reilly on the PP and ES to drive the offence. The added incentive of being a UFA, he should have better numbers.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Barrie will likely get some PP1 time now. Rielly can run PP2 and be the horse.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I see Barrie running back to Colorado after this season anyway. You could almost bank on it.

The Leafs are Better off cutting their losses and trading him now. It was a really terrible trade that Toronto ended up on the short end of.

FACT.. I can bank on this not happening at all.. Colorado is set at defense. With Makar, EJ, Girard, Byram, Timmins, Z, Cole. I next big contract we throw at a defensive player is Makar for his extension.

Mar 26, 2010
FACT.. I can bank on this not happening at all.. Colorado is set at defense. With Makar, EJ, Girard, Byram, Timmins, Z, Cole. I next big contract we throw at a defensive player is Makar for his extension.
Another fact, Toronto will NOT be re-signing Barrie either. Zero chance!

Toronto will be walking away from him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure yet, but I think you are 100% right. Toronto will be all in on re-signing Muzzin.

$5M AAV.... does that get it done?

I think he is worth $6M+ but is he the type to want to leave money on the table to stay? Comes down to circumstance of the multiple offers he gets from all teams and then he weighs his options. He's a great two way D man and that's rare to acquire so I bet teams will be in on him.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Mar 26, 2010
I think he is worth $6M+ but is he the type to want to leave money on the table to stay? Comes down to circumstance of the multiple offers he gets from all teams and then he weighs his options. He's a great two way D man and that's rare to acquire so I bet teams will be in on him.
Very good chance Toronto loses all of Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie as they are all UFA’s July 1st.

I honestly could not care less about Ceci and Barrie (I want them gone anyway).

Muzzin will be top priority for Dubas to get re-signed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very good chance Toronto loses all of Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie as they are all UFA’s July 1st.

I honestly could not care less about Ceci and Barrie (I want them gone anyway).

Muzzin will be top priority for Dubas to get re-signed.

It will be difficult again.

- 10 players signed with $16M in cap space. Add $3M for inflation brings it to $19M
- Key RFA's to sign are Dermott & Mikheyev? So lets say 12 players signed with $17M in cap space.
- Insert Sandin and Liljegren? 14 players signed with about $15.2M left.

Lets say they can lock up Muzzin for a $6M AAV. That's 15 players signed with $9.2M in cap space. 8 players left in order to reach the 23 man roster. That's about $1.2M/player on average.

I think one of Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnson, or Kapanen will need to be moved for a RD somehow. It's too tight. If the cap grows more than $3M, then that creates a bit more flexibility but still very hard to sign Muzzin and another impact guy on the RD side.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Mar 26, 2010
Fully agree.

I would actually like to see Tavares or Marner traded and free up $11M in cap. I know some fans may think I am crazy to propose moving either of them, but I think Tavares has started to regress and only going to get worse from here. He was also Babcocks boy.

As far as Marner goes, I don’t think he is even tradable with his Cap hit. most overpaid player in the nhl.

So yeah, Toronto has some big decisions to make.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
It will be difficult again.

- 10 players signed with $16M in cap space. Add $3M for inflation brings it to $19M
- Key RFA's to sign are Dermott & Mikheyev? So lets say 12 players signed with $17M in cap space.
- Insert Sandin and Liljegren? 14 players signed with about $15.2M left.

Lets say they can lock up Muzzin for a $6M AAV. That's 15 players signed with $9.2M in cap space. 8 players left in order to reach the 23 man roster. That's about $1.2M/player on average.

I think one of Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnson, or Kapanen will need to be moved for a RD somehow. It's too tight. If the cap grows more than $3M, then that creates a bit more flexibility but still very hard to sign Muzzin and another impact guy on the RD side.

One of Kapanen or Johnsson will be moved imo. Much cheaper options on the team (Soup, Moore, Bracco, etc). Pretty sure Keefe likes Bracco.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One of Kapanen or Johnsson will be moved imo. Much cheaper options on the team (Soup, Moore, Bracco, etc). Pretty sure Keefe likes Bracco.

Trading top 6 talent or top 9 talent for top 4D cap space or a top 4D young potential is obvious. Dubas can fight that all he wants but I think most understand this is how they unblock the roster balance within the cap space.

The other thing that could be huge for the Leafs is if the cap grows substantially with Seattle and the new TV deal. In the meantime, it's not going to be easy

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Fully agree.

I would actually like to see Tavares or Marner traded and free up $11M in cap. I know some fans may think I am crazy to propose moving either of them, but I think Tavares has started to regress and only going to get worse from here. He was also Babcocks boy.

As far as Marner goes, I don’t think he is even tradable with his Cap hit. most overpaid player in the nhl.

So yeah, Toronto has some big decisions to make.
Who could take on that cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad