Friedman: Leafs have received calls on Tyson Barrie

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
If they fired babs and had a coach that realized it’s 2019 and not 2006, and stayed with the leafs, we’d see a completely different player than we have this season

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Idk about this.

Our PP is hot for now, but has Klefbom really been a good offensive D for our top unit? The fans say to just put Bear there, but I think Tippett must have not seen enough in practices, and manning the blueline is a big responsibility that perhaps isn't fit for a rookie, since there is a lot of danger of shorthanded chances that the point man has to protect against. Barrie is at least a veteran.

As for Larsson, he's not a rental but he's only got 2 years so it's not a far cry from Barrie's status.

As for Barrie to Calgary, it feels like the same problem in Toronto. At least in Edmonton, he'd be used as the top option for offense. In Calgary he'd have competition and there is risk he would get too many D-zone minutes to be successful.
Isn't Klefbom on pace for 50+ points?
I'm not saying the Oilers couldn't use Barrie but it will cost more than 4.1m to find another top 4 RHD this summer and 50+ games of Barrie with McDavid/Larsson is going to drive his price up in FA

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Idk about this.

Our PP is hot for now, but has Klefbom really been a good offensive D for our top unit? The fans say to just put Bear there, but I think Tippett must have not seen enough in practices, and manning the blueline is a big responsibility that perhaps isn't fit for a rookie, since there is a lot of danger of shorthanded chances that the point-man has to protect against. Barrie is at least a veteran.

As for Larsson, he's not a rental but he's only got 2 years so it's not a far cry from Barrie's status.

As for Barrie to Calgary, it feels like the same problem in Toronto. At least in Edmonton, he'd be used as the top option for offense. In Calgary he'd have competition and there is risk he would get too many D-zone minutes to be successful.

Flames could use barrie at the #1qb with gio and Andy as the #2 unit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Isn't Klefbom on pace for 50+ points?
I'm not saying the Oilers couldn't use Barrie but it will cost more than 4.1m to find another top 4 RHD this summer and 50+ games of Barrie with McDavid/Larsson is going to drive his price up in FA
I don't care what the points pace is. I watch the games and he's not good enough. With players like McDavid and Drai, the amount of points you are guaranteed with max minutes on the PP with them is huge.

Not enough point shots getting through. Too slow to initiate offense. The PP is hot now because our top players are hot, but when our PP goes cold, it goes too cold. A true offensive D back there would smooth that out.

Reactions: Homesick

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Flames could use barrie at the #1qb with gio and Andy as the #2 unit.
okay. I don't really follow the Flames so I'll yield to you on that. I just see a ton of offensive talent there already, and look at supply vs demand, lol. But I don't watch what the dynamic is on the Flames so sure.

And perhaps on the Oilers, we'd wait anyway. See how Larsson mixes in first on this Tippett team that's clicking now. And maybe Toronto would want to see that first before trading for him anyway.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs are not in a good position to deal. I would never make a deal from a position of weakness. Dubas was already fleeced by Sakic on Barrie this summer, he should be careful here or he could make a bad situation even worse.

Reactions: milehigh11

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It certainly wouldn’t be smart of them to do it, but there have been rumblings around his name for a while now.

Sure when he wasn’t playing well. He’s looked good this season and is finally playing above the value of his contract. I don’t think Dubas thinks of moving him unless a top pairing defenseman is coming back (which isn’t happening).

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Unless the Leafs have given up on the season (obviously not), what trade can they make where they add a solid defenceman that better fits team needs in exchange for Barrie, without blowing through their remaining salary space? That needs to be someone coming in with $2.75M cap hit or less.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
why would the leafs trade their most consistent player

Because he is easy to shut down when it matters. Skate into the zone, curl up, look for pass to hopefully a rushing player. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Anyway Barrie will be gone from Toronto soon enough, there is zero chance he re-signs there now.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs are not in a good position to deal. I would never make a deal from a position of weakness. Dubas was already fleeced by Sakic on Barrie this summer, he should be careful here or he could make a bad situation even worse.

People seem to forget that we got Kerfoot in the deal too who is signed longer for cheaper and has one less goal than Kadri with much less offensive opportunity.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He hasn't been fleeced. Though it is true Barrie has not been good with the Leafs, Kerfoot has been very good. Leafs have a lot going on f talent to deal with if they choose to.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Because he is easy to shut down when it matters. Skate into the zone, curl up, look for pass to hopefully a rushing player. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Anyway Barrie will be gone from Toronto soon enough, there is zero chance he re-signs there now.

for someone so easy to shut down... so few teams seem to be able to.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Unless the Leafs have given up on the season (obviously not), what trade can they make where they add a solid defenceman that better fits team needs in exchange for Barrie, without blowing through their remaining salary space? That needs to be someone coming in with $2.75M cap hit or less.
I think Hamonic retained or Gudas are the obvious ones on expiring contracts.

Reactions: deckercky

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If the Leafs were stupid, Larsson would make sense. But Larsson is closer to Zaitsev than Hjalmarsson.

Hamonic seems like the only logical lateral move here.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Barrie isn’t returning any player of value.... so it’s a dump.
He is an excellent defencemen so he should return something of value. Though if you judge him by his 22 games with the Leafs- he hasn't fit here (yet). Thankfully GMs will look at his entire body of work.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think Hamonic retained or Gudas are the obvious ones on expiring contracts.

No joke Gudas might be exactly what the Leafs need. Maybe not for Barrie necessarily but he is the type of player that is decent and puts the fear of god into the opposition.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Kerfoot was on a 32 pt pace after 20 games. Explain very good.
You are a Leaf fan. You have been watching. He has scored some nice goals. He has been fiesty. His line with Soup and Moore has been the Leafs best on some nights and certainly the most consistent. If Barrie ever gets goig in Toronto, we are in good stead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad