Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Giordano (50% retained) and F Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd | Part II

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Has young face if you look pass the Grey and bald. Very good genetics he can play into his 40s and will re sign

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I dunno how the locker room is...I have no connection as I did in the past but it seems like the boys are a lot calmer and get their urgency rolling when they are lacking it after this trade. He wasn't looking the best last game but he's seemed to have settled as the game progressed. Mark of a veteran for sure.

Yes the Lily pairing is great... But I think Gio has just expedited what a lot of us saw in him.

of all seasons they should have done a documentary for this season. Would love to see the behind the scenes for Gio giving leadership pep talks and reactions to Auston's historic run

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Blackwell has been okay, kind of makes you wonder where Joey Anderson is, since this is the kind of player he's supposed to be.
Blackwell seems to be a level above Anderson, same game but just better at it. He's like a waterbug skittling all over the ice whereas Anderson seems to be just a bit behind at the NHL level.

That said there must be droves of HF poster that must be tickled pink seeing #11 finally on the 4th line

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gio is as advertised, calm, exp and provide great leadership for his partner and the forwards in front of him.
Blackwell is a surprise to me bc of the way he plays, he is the type that will score those game winning playoff goals, always buzzing and always want to make something happen during his shift.

I'd like to see Gio stabilize things for another couple of years and really infuse the blueline with his defensive leadership and culture. Carry that into the next era. Even a guy like Rielly never technically had this kind of high end defensive mentorship from a (recent) Norris winner. Love Gio.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I think this Giordano trade was the best deal anyone made at the deadline.

This guy was playing 21-22 minutes a game with Seattle, but gets a bit of a break here playing 19 on average. It's huge to have a player on pairing 2 or 3 who is still capable of being a top pair, #1 guy.

I want Giordano to extend another year already. He's fit in seamlessly.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
When a guy with his pedigree can just come in and play a steady, solid game with easier matchups, it elevates his defensive success by default.

Hopefully he helps the Leafs achieve a lengthy playoff run . He is a D Man with the right attitude and sacrifice. Any offense is pure bonus.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since trade deadline.

#2) 85.0 points percentage

#1) 61.4 goals percentage
#1) 59.9 expected goals percentage

#1) 4.88 goals for per 60min
#4) 3.79 expected goals for per 60min
#2) 13.17 shooting percentage

#15) 3.07 goals against per 60min
#2) 2.54 expected goals against per 60min
#25) 88.83 save percentage

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I imagine he'll probably re-sign with the leafs on a 1/2 year contract similar to Chara - guessing around the same money he's making retained (3.3M?)

We really need to get rid of Muzzin and Mrazek in the offseason though. Free up 9M in capspace to be used elsewhere and can run the following:

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl

In a couple years Niemela will be knocking on the door as well for a RHD spot and I imagine he'll replace Holl once his contract is up.

This playoff decides Campbell's fate with the leafs. If he performs and lives up to it, we might very well be able to run Campbell/Kallgren next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad