Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Giordano (50% retained) and F Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd | Part II

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
For one, he's 38., not 39, three years removed from being the winner of the Norris trophy. His acquisition, is far better than Braun and Motte would be. As has been stated repeatedly, he's looking to sign here for next year, so this really isn't a pure rental situation either.

It's a solid deal, particularly given the overpays at the deadline.

3 years removed is a long time. I'm not saying he's a worse or better player, I just don't see the logic in going after him this year. Let him sign in the offseason if he wants to for a decent price.

The Leafs are bleeding assets for players who aren't putting them over in their most critical positions of need imo, and losing in the first round just leaves them without 3 really good picks. Trading for lesser rentals for cheaper prices at least hedges your bets and allows you to make meaningful draft choices with your 2nd rounders.

Would this look as good if it was Knies, Robertson and Kokkonen for Gio/Blackwell? Or Hirvonen, Durzi, Niemela?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
3 years removed is a long time. I'm not saying he's a worse or better player, I just don't see the logic in going after him this year. Let him sign in the offseason if he wants to for a decent price.

The Leafs are bleeding assets for players who aren't putting them over in their most critical positions of need imo, and losing in the first round just leaves them without 3 really good picks. Trading for lesser rentals for cheaper prices at least hedges your bets and allows you to make meaningful draft choices with your 2nd rounders.

Would this look as good if it was Knies, Robertson and Kokkonen for Gio/Blackwell? Or Hirvonen, Durzi, Niemela?

I think assuming they lose in the first round is your first problem. For what reason do they not go for it while we still have our core in their prime? It's not like we gave up a 1st round pick this time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Outside of this short period of time, where the Leafs goaltending has been atrocious, most people have accepted that the most critical position of need, was Defenders. Now we've gone out and picked up a physical defender, and a strong defensive guy, who has great chemistry with one of our other defenders. It is highly probable that both defenders are extended, and won't simply be rentals. If these guys are here for another year or two minimum, yes it more than makes up for players such as Knies, Robertson, Hirvonen, etc... who wouldn't be ready to contribute for years to come. It's time to compete now.

Under any assumption that we resign these two, we will have one of the strongest defensive cores, of anyone in the league, both for these playoffs, and for the foreseeable future.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Outside of this short period of time, where the Leafs goaltending has been atrocious, most people have accepted that the most critical position of need, was Defenders. Now we've gone out and picked up a physical defender, and a strong defensive guy, who has great chemistry with one of our other defenders. It is highly probable that both defenders are extended, and won't simply be rentals. If these guys are here for another year or two minimum, yes it more than makes up for players such as Knies, Robertson, Hirvonen, etc... who wouldn't be ready to contribute for years to come. It's time to compete now.

Under any assumption that we resign these two, we will have one of the strongest defensive cores, of anyone in the league, both for these playoffs, and for the foreseeable future.

The Leafs have had one month this year where their team sv% was above .900 .. that is not a short period of time.

Reactions: Jmo89

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dubas' can't change market prices and if he adds he loses one on waivers. We have our first and can trade for a 2nd later if need be.Mrazek didn't get claimed, so now you pray he plays a lot better. It's part Dubas', part market prices and the fact we need that first if we lose first round.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I really liked what I saw from Blackwell last night, our fourth line seemed to have an energy/pace that's been often missing. Spezza looked a bit rejuvenated. Have a feeling they'll at least audition Blackwell on our 2nd line for a few games to see if his energy rubs off on JT and Nylander. Encouraging to see from the guy who was clearly not a centerpiece of the trade.

Sep 18, 2009

Draft picks overrated

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
so now after this. is it even possible to fit Muzzin back in? if he's healthy and ready to go
How can we fit him back in?
I’d like to see us try:

Rielly - Boosh
Muzzin - Brodie
Gio - Lily

Gio/Lily have been so good together that I wouldn’t want to break them up. And I don’t love Muzzin/Holl or Muzzin/Boosh, so that leaves the above, which I think would work well.

Another option:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lily
Gio - Holl/Boosh

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I’d like to see us try:

Rielly - Boosh
Muzzin - Brodie
Gio - Lily

Gio/Lily have been so good together that I wouldn’t want to break them up. And I don’t love Muzzin/Holl or Muzzin/Boosh, so that leaves the above, which I think would work well.

Another option:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lily
Gio - Holl/Boosh
I mean more cap wise

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I’d like to see us try:

Rielly - Boosh
Muzzin - Brodie
Gio - Lily

Another option:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lily
Gio - Holl/Boosh

Nah, don't want to see Muzzin back in the top 4 right away given his season's play.

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Lily
Muzzin - Lyub

Rielly and Brodie were carrying the D early on. Gio and Lily have been sensational together in top 4 minutes. And Muzzin+Lyub getting easier match ups while mashing 3rd and 4th lines physically would be good in a 7 game playoff series overall and would give Campbell what he has needed for a while; consistent net front clearing presence.

Reactions: Jmo89

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I mean more cap wise
Ah, fair enough, I’m not clear on that, but worst case we just Kucherov him and bring him back for the first game of the playoffs?

Nah, don't want to see Muzzin back in the top 4 right away given his season's play.

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Lily
Muzzin - Lyub

Rielly and Brodie were carrying the D early on. Gio and Lily have been sensational together in top 4 minutes. And Muzzin+Lyub getting easier match ups while mashing 3rd and 4th lines physically would be good in a 7 game playoff series overall and would give Campbell what he has needed for a while; consistent net front clearing presence.
I’m not so sure about Muzzin/Boosh - seems like they’d struggle in transition, and thus get hemmed into their own zone. That’s our two slowest, worst puck moving dmen on the same pairing, which is often a bad recipe.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ah, fair enough, I’m not clear on that, but worst case we just Kucherov him and bring him back for the first game of the playoffs?

I’m not so sure about Muzzin/Boosh - seems like they’d struggle in transition, and thus get hemmed into their own zone. That’s our two slowest, worst puck moving dmen on the same pairing, which is often a bad recipe.

Yeah but the trade off is that we have Boosh who cannot handle pairing with Rielly and Muzzin hasn't played well even without transition D. They will be facing worse lines regardless (outside of line matching scenario's) and under no circumstances would I want to see Rielly-Brodie or Gio-Lily split up. Worse comes to worst, drop Boosh and play Muzzin-Holl on the bottom pairing.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah but the trade off is that we have Boosh who cannot handle pairing with Rielly and Muzzin hasn't played well even without transition D. They will be facing worse lines regardless (outside of line matching scenario's) and under no circumstances would I want to see Rielly-Brodie or Gio-Lily split up. Worse comes to worst, drop Boosh and play Muzzin-Holl on the bottom pairing.
What makes you say Boosh can’t handle pairing with Rielly? We’ve been playing basically nothing but Rielly/Boosh as the top pair since not long after acquiring Boosh, and it’s been a very good pairing. For advanced stats peeps, 55.3 xGF% for Rielly/Boosh vs. 52.1 xGF% for Rielly/Brodie.

You say “under no circumstances would I want to see Rielly/Brodie split up”, but we’ve already done that, and it’s been working well.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
What makes you say Boosh can’t handle pairing with Rielly? We’ve been playing basically nothing but Rielly/Boosh as the top pair since not long after acquiring Boosh, and it’s been a very good pairing. For advanced stats peeps, 55.3 xGF% for Rielly/Boosh, vs. 52.1 xGF% for Rielly/Brodie.

You say “under no circumstances would I want to see Rielly/Brodie split up”, but we’ve already done that, and it’s been working well.

Advanced stats only tell half the story. Lyub is a liability with the puck and not fast enough to keep up with the potential match ups against Tampa or FLorida (however I would be fine having him up there against Boston or Carolina).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What makes you say Boosh can’t handle pairing with Rielly? We’ve been playing basically nothing but Rielly/Boosh as the top pair since not long after acquiring Boosh, and it’s been a very good pairing. For advanced stats peeps, 55.3 xGF% for Rielly/Boosh vs. 52.1 xGF% for Rielly/Brodie.

It's been our worst pairing, by a lot, in the games played together.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The Leafs aren't "bleeding assets" they haven't traded a single prospect in almost 2 years

I don't even know why the last line of your post even exists? it's not Knies, or Robertson, or Kokknen, oor Hirvonenn or Nimela for Gio/Blackwell they are all still there and so is the 1st round pick so the prospect pool will get even stronger.

As for Durzi that brought in Muzzin I do that every time.

the Leafs cupboards are far from empty

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

yeah I mean Kucheroving him would be nice and all but be nice for him to get some games in to get back up to speed before the Playoffs start ya know

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ah, so Liljegren's play is now because of Giordano.

Swing and a miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4