Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Giordano (50% retained) and F Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd | Part II

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was out and about when the trade hit, so I haven't had the time to write down my thoughts.

This is an ok trade, probably good most seasons. Giordano is a consistent 2-way defenseman that brings an insane amount of leadership.

Blackwell is a fine addition. Not really sure how and where he'll fit. He's pretty much another Kerfoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylanderthal

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I was about and about when the trade hit, so I haven't had the time to write down my thoughts.

This is an ok trade, probably good most seasons. Giordano is a consistent 2-way defenseman that brings an insane amount of leadership.

Blackwell is a fine addition. Not really sure how and where he'll fit. He's pretty much another Kerfoot.
Pretty much, not as fast as Kerfoot but hits more and probably a little less skilled. My guess, unless they make a trade for a top 6 winger, Kerfoot starts on line 2 and Blackwell rides with Spezza and Simmonds.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I was about and about when the trade hit, so I haven't had the time to write down my thoughts.

I really don't want to be that guy who talks about size but more small forwards will not help us compete better in playoff hockey. When I read Blackwells bio, Nic Petan popped into my head and I can't get that image of Nic Petan version 2.0 out of my head.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Love our blueline TBH. That's a group of big guys with lots of defensive responsibility and offensive capabilities. If Muzzin is healthy, a top 4 of Rielly-Brodie-Gio-Muzzin is very strong, and having Holl-Lybushkin-Liljegren-Sandin for depth is excellent. They still have to play well, but this is the best looking blueline (on paper) that I think this team has had in a long time. Lots of different tools that the coach can choose from, to tweak the blueline to find the exact mix for each game/series.

Blackwell looks like he plays well with talent and produces like a middle sixer. By all accounts he works his ass off, so I'm pleased to have him.

Reactions: saffronleaf

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I was out and about when the trade hit, so I haven't had the time to write down my thoughts.

I like this smippet....Kerfoot but hits hard.

Reactions: Smif and SprDaVE

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I really don't want to be that guy who talks about size but more small forwards will not help us compete better in playoff hockey. When I read Blackwells bio, Nic Petan popped into my head and I can't get that image of Nic Petan version 2.0 out of my head.
Our forward group isn't small. Theyre soft. Engvall is a big guy who's never done anything to use his size.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like this smippet....Kerfoot but hits hard.

He's a bulldog for sure and his numbers speaks for itself. He's a solid player. I don't really care about what a scale says but I do think the Leafs probably need to get meaner. Not sure if Blackwell is all that mean, but he definitely is a chippy player.

Reactions: kb

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Love the fact that (im sure has been mentioned) Gio comes with built in chemistry with Brodie. over 1,741:50 minutes played together.
I feel the slight over pay in this trade is worth it when you have someone that you know will mesh well with another player and wont need to juggle the be pairs to find the chemistry. And if Gio sign for as little as Simmer/Spezza that may make Muzzin expandable in the off season.

As far as the d pair and the playoffs go im much happier with

MO-Boosh
Gio-Brodie
Muzz-Holl
Sandin-Lily

We are no longer an injury away from Marincin/ Dermott pairing

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
He's a bulldog for sure and his numbers speaks for itself. He's a solid player. I don't really care about what a scale says but I do think the Leafs probably need to get meaner. Not sure if Blackwell is all that mean, but he definitely is a chippy player.
As Babs would say " Our PP will be our toughness":sarcasm:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He’s nothing like Petan…

Check this out to see why he’s an underrated aspect of the deal

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He was the first guy mentioned in the Athletic pre-draft article "Who are the Blake Colemans and Barclay Goodrows of the 2022 NHL trade deadline"?

Doesnt sound like Nic Petan.
Yeah, seems some people are trotting out the classic case of assuming because he’s short, he’s just an impassioned dangler who floats around but the reality is he’s almost polar opposite of that

Reactions: kb and Sypher04

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is a good trade. Especially given how crazy the prices had been all weekend. We desperately needed to keep our 1st rounder IMO with Rodion Amirov's health looking very grim.

Gio can still play, and that's the right price for a rental.

Not overly familiar with Blackwell TBH, but I do remember him getting 1 + 1 in our most recent matchup with the shorty. In a game where Seattle didn't really have much going for large portions, he was a name I kept hearing on the broadcast, which is always a good sign.

I am excited to see these fellas in the lineup Wednesday hopefully.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I dunno, 190 @ 5'9 will be hard to knock off track. Has a good 15 pounds on Petan. If even 33% of that 15 pounds is muscle, definitely not a Petan 2.0.

Reactions: banks and ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Excellent trade and all in all really good value .. Gio wanted to come home for sure which helped Dubie out .. luv to see a TO kid come home who wants a Cup BAD .. and team got better on defense then before so how can anyone argue with it .. when Muzzy comes back both Lily and Sandin go back down to Marlies and Sandin will get some pro games on right side before being called back up for playoffs to play right side with Muzzy on 3rd pair

Rielly Lub
Gio Brodie
Muzzy Sandin

Holl plays backup as 7th which is where he should be .. he is just overpaid by 1.3M per for his value .. and injuries and Lily comes up

For me I want 1 more D man as 2 injuries are very very possible .. get Middleton for a late round 2023 pick .. why not? it is an insurance play

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Excited to have Giordano, and I always love seeing Toronto-area players enthused coming to the team.

I will temper my expectations on just how good he will be for us however, not trying to think he is the same player from 3 to 5 years ago as he is today. But an upgrade nonetheless.

Reactions: banks

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
not addressing goaltending seems crazy
as nice as is to see Gio as a Leaf seems like we just wasted couple 2nds and dermott for another early exit
pressure is on Campbell to come back and return to form it looks like

Reactions: hotpaws

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Short isn’t small. 190 at 5’9” is heavy and he plays like it.

I’ve seen 5’9”, 184lb Brendan Ghallagher barrel through NHL defensemen a hell of a lot harder than 6’5”, 240lb Freddy Gauthier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad