Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Giordano (50% retained) and F Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd | Part II

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
what a deal this has been so far, Gio has really solidifed the defense and he's even providing a little bit of offense, 2 points against Winnipeg, another point against Philly, he's been everything I wanted him to be.

Colin Blackwell has been fantastic too our bottom 6 is much stronger since he arrived. I hope we can find a way to keep him.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There’s a happy medium between “Gio has made Lilly good” vs “Lilly was this great beforehand.” Obviously having a partner like Gio will elevate any defenseman, the same would be true for Sandin if he were playing instead of Liljegren. However, Lilly was getting good results before the trade and has only continued to do so, having only slightly better numbers since the trade and the two were paired together.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Can we not just say that Liljegren has been improving with more playing time, and the addition of a veteran like Gio has been beneficial as well?

Honestly, it's not like the wheel was re-invented here. Look what Chara was doing for the Bruins since forever and a day.

Honestly, the agendas of some people is pitiful. Liljegren is a good young defenseman, who, like all young defenseman, improve with more playing time and gaining experience. Adding a veteran defender to partner with him is only going to help.

<SMH>

Mar 26, 2010
Gio will be solid in the playoffs. He has been around long enough, he has that swag to his game. The young guys with benefit from him big time.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Can't we just have both? Liljegren is a great talent and Giordano is helping his growth. I don't see the negative here...
Because - as I said earlier - we have media types who are saying Liljegren was/is a scrub who didn't belong on the team before being paired with Giordano.

I have no issue with what you said - they are a good pairing and Liljegren will learn from him. This is true, but let's not forget Giordano is also playing better than he has in years being paired with Liljegren, so it's not a one way street here.

The negative is because mouth breathing morons like Hayes and Bourne should stick to opinions on what they know......if they ever find out what that is. Hayes has been trashing him since the moment he got drafted even though he admitted he had never seen him play a game.

It the dumbest f***s trying to run him out of town.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
The negative is because mouth breathing morons like Hayes and Bourne should stick to opinions on what they know......if they ever find out what that is. Hayes has been trashing him since the moment he got drafted even though he admitted he had never seen him play a game.

Totally agree.

I don't know why Hayes hates Lily so much, but he's going to eat crow about his horrible takes

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Perhaps a good nickname for Mark Giordano would be Engine No. 55.

“He’s just a guy who puts out fires,” Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe said of the club’s big trade deadline acquisition to steady the defence. “He seems to be in the right spot to recover. Last night in Philadelphia, we had a couple of mistakes, they’re in alone on our net and he makes a good play, whether it’s diving, using his body or getting his stick on something."

“And his puck moving is really efficient, which allows us to keep the play flowing.”

Giordano has spent his first few games mostly as the senior partner with Timothy Liljegren. Giordano listed him and Ilya Mikheyev as being the two most surprising talents on a Toronto team he rarely saw in a career hitherto spent in the Western Conference.

“He’s always in a good spot. These young guys, it’s crazy now. I’ve see it a lot with multiple teams I’ve played on, they tend to have a lot more poise than I had.”

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
The Leafs aren't "bleeding assets" they haven't traded a single prospect in almost 2 years

I don't even know why the last line of your post even exists? it's not Knies, or Robertson, or Kokknen, oor Hirvonenn or Nimela for Gio/Blackwell they are all still there and so is the 1st round pick so the prospect pool will get even stronger.

As for Durzi that brought in Muzzin I do that every time.

the Leafs cupboards are far from empty
Durzi… plus carl G plus the pick

thats two top 4 d men and a top 6 forward
Muzzin deal was fair though. People like myself have issue with turtle neck, boyle and foligno type trades

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Never knew why some fans are so fascinated with draft picks. Your not going to hit on every pick and don't have the room for all drafted players anyways. Good trades, signings and drafting overcomes lack of picks.

You have a good deal u take it. People are acting like we don't have youth on the team and more players itching to make the roster. Come on now.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Durzi… plus carl G plus the pick

thats two top 4 d men and a top 6 forward
Muzzin deal was fair though. People like myself have issue with turtle neck, boyle and foligno type trades
The only reason Bjornfot and Durzi are playing up in the lineup is because they are missing Doughty, Walker and Roy. Grundstrom is on the 4th line and is a fringe NHLer

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He's helped Lilly a lot
The truth is that Timothy has been very good for the majority of the season and it definitely helps to have someone of Gio's caliber with him. Anyone who was doubting if Gio still had it can rest easy that he does.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Perhaps a good nickname for Mark Giordano would be Engine No. 55.

“He’s just a guy who puts out fires,” Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe said of the club’s big trade deadline acquisition to steady the defence. “He seems to be in the right spot to recover. Last night in Philadelphia, we had a couple of mistakes, they’re in alone on our net and he makes a good play, whether it’s diving, using his body or getting his stick on something."

“And his puck moving is really efficient, which allows us to keep the play flowing.”

Giordano has spent his first few games mostly as the senior partner with Timothy Liljegren. Giordano listed him and Ilya Mikheyev as being the two most surprising talents on a Toronto team he rarely saw in a career hitherto spent in the Western Conference.

“He’s always in a good spot. These young guys, it’s crazy now. I’ve see it a lot with multiple teams I’ve played on, they tend to have a lot more poise than I had.”
I dunno how the locker room is...I have no connection as I did in the past but it seems like the boys are a lot calmer and get their urgency rolling when they are lacking it after this trade. He wasn't looking the best last game but he's seemed to have settled as the game progressed. Mark of a veteran for sure.

Yes the Lily pairing is great... But I think Gio has just expedited what a lot of us saw in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad