Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
LFG!

yjhCP0r.gif

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Huge game, should be playoff intensity. Montreal is the only team in our division that I see as a real threat. Well balanced, really good D and then Price. The boys need to show up on time. Not sure what to expect after the mini-series vs Vancouver. Played well the first 2 games and then the final 10 in the 3rd game, but it's not really a good measuring stick. Should be fun, hoping for a competitive game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does Montreal's record prove that last season was a fluke for them? Or that this division is a bit of a joke? Or both?

The Habs were an elite even strength team last year (#1 cf%, #2 xgf%), and are elite there again so far this year (#3 cf%, #1 xgf%).

But last year they were a poor shooting % team and a poor save % team - neither was too surprising, given their lack of elite shooting talent, given Price's steady decline, and given their lack of backup goaltending. This also carried over into their special teams, which were both mediocre to poor, with the lack of shooting and goaltending not helping anything.

This year they've jumped from 26th in sh% and 25th in sv% all the way up to 6th in sh% and 6th in sv%, which has made all the difference.

Is it sustainable? it might be, especially in a short season, but likely not - they still lack the elite shooting talent to sustain that kind of shooting percentage, and Allen shouldn't continue to be super elite. But then again, they should likely finish much higher in both categories than they did last year, which should mean a nice improvement for them either way.

but still, there are obviously fluky things going on there - like having 7 shorthanded goals in 12 games, and like a 33yr old dman Petry scoring at a 40gl/100pt pace.

overall, though, they analytics said they were elite last year in the most sustainable categories, so you can't be too surprised that they're looking good so far.

Reactions: RicoxSuave

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leafs better know what is at stake here. These are the habs. Should be enough to get motivated.
I try not to slam players but the laggards will get my full wrath for these games. I want Holl and Muzzin to knock some filling loose with hits.
I want the Tavares line to make the habs cry with frustration. I want the third line to contribute for a change. I want Anderson to keep his composure and be a wall. I want Rielly to remind them that he is dangerous too.
Most of all, I want Matthew's line to show them that they are no-where near good enough to even hope for success this year. This is an important series and we will see who has the stones to show up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
First thing Keefe needs to do is start some trouble in this one by dressing Sabourine. Chiarot and Weber need to get a reminder they are getting a answer for going after Matthews. Simmonds was going to handle that. Now he’s out so I’m not so sure letting it slide just because Wayne Simmonds isn’t around to take care of it is a idea they should even think.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the Leafs need to approach this game with a healthy amount of disrespect for the Habs. Yes, they had a big offseason adding a bunch of big mucking players and they’ve really laid waste to Canada. But so have we in our own style, we beat Montreal often and we eat Carey Price for breakfast. No need to build them up to be the Big Bad Canadiens. Play our game, skate them into the ground, light up Price and start a goalie controversy for them.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's a shame we're not facing them at full strength, but we're healthy enough to beat them if everyone shows up.

I like the lines at practice.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We likely split these next 2 games ... between Weber and Edmundson they will target Matty's back again in game 1 ... why not best to hurt guy again early as it makes it easier to win both games ... Keefe will know what is coming and I would hope our new tough guy dresses ... he does not need to play unless stupid happens again which it will
So do i hope he dresses Sabourin. Not because of whats coming but because of what they have coming to them. Simmonds was going to wreck their top pair. I don’t like losing Simmonds. Couldn’t have happened at a worse time. Do any of the rest of them have any jam! We’ll see

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
Looked at the schedule for Feb 13 - 20

Montreal
Feb 13 vs Toronto
Feb 20 @Toronto

Toronto
Feb 13 @montreal
Feb 15 vs Ottawa
Feb 17 vs Ottawa
Feb 18 vs Ottawa
Feb 20 vs Montreal

How did that ever get through their schedule making software? Might as well forfeit that Feb 20 game now.
Last year too, the Habs had this very favorable schedule match up against the Leafs. 3 times getting us on the second night of a back to back and combined with Babcock's stubborn stupid policy that would see Hutch in net on the 2nd night.

Not a conspiracy, just typical stupid Hab luck.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Not liking that third line and Vesey should be seeing the press-box more

With Jumbo and Robertson set to come back next week - these next two games are going to decide who comes out of the lineup. Boyd and Spezza have earned their spots so between the bottom 4, which 2 want it more? One of them is lucky Simmonds is out or else there would only be 1 spot left.

Vesey/Engvall/Barabanov/Petan

Vesey and Barabanov to my eye are the ones who are in danger of losing their spots next week. Sabourin might even find himself with a callup depending on how it goes these next 2 games. In fact, what better time to give him a look than next week vs. the Sens.

Reactions: zeke and Lumberg

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
With Jumbo and Robertson set to come back next week - these next two games are going to decide who comes out of the lineup. Boyd and Spezza have earned their spots so between the bottom 4, which 2 want it more? One of them is lucky Simmonds is out or else there would only be 1 spot left.

Vesey/Engvall/Barabanov/Petan

Vesey and Barabanov to my eye are the ones who are in danger of losing their spots next week. Sabourin might even find himself with a callup depending on how it goes these next 2 games. In fact, what better time to give him a look than next week vs. the Sens.

Agreed, and may not find their way back in

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Our games against the Habs are going to feel like a playoff series all season, then we're probably gonna get a series against them. I was honestly a little bummed that it looked like they were downtrending to what looked like a long rebuild with all those long contracts to older guys because I thought we might miss getting a bunch of series against them. I still think they get pulled under by those contracts for a while, but I love to hate the Habs and pumped that we're going to get a rivalry again.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nucks were a very motivated team in that last game, gave us a good game until they imploded. Habs will give us the same test, but probably won't implode. It will be tight. I am going to miss the high scoring games....(jinxing the Habs here)

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If you are not going to play Sabourin in games like these, then why did you even sign him?

I would love nothing more for the Leafs to light up Montreal to put them in their place

They have had a hot start but I am still not convinced this is a good team

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So do i hope he dresses Sabourin. Not because of whats coming but because of what they have coming to them. Simmonds was going to wreck their top pair. I don’t like losing Simmonds. Couldn’t have happened at a worse time. Do any of the rest of them have any jam! We’ll see
Yeah I heard same thing from kids that Simmonds had already told guys he was gonna challenge Weber before game in pre game skate in Montreal just to get the temp ... who knows if Weber accepts or cowards out but da scene would have been set and Habs room would have known when they went back in dressing room ... I used that tactic a few times myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad