Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs: Wednesday 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbadhabs33

Jan 19, 2021
People can call the North weak, but I still say a team from there will make it to the conference finals. Bold take, I know.
IMO Each division has 3 good teams and some really bad teams and some middle of the pack teams

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Isn't that a given? The winner of the North plays the winner of the East in the conference finals. Definitely a more favourable path for the Leafs than that of previous years which went through Boston.
Boston vs Toronto for keeps this year ... Tampa vs Vegas ... goes to show you top 3 of 4 teams in entire league are in SAME Atlantic division ... what a joke

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Isn't that a given? The winner of the North plays the winner of the East in the conference finals. Definitely a more favourable path for the Leafs than that of previous years which went through Boston.
woosh

Bigbadhabs33

Jan 19, 2021
I can't wait it will be a great game ... I love Gally he is my fav on ur team but it is a little different when he crashes da net for pucks ... Matty was just cruising through for a tip ... he did nothing to deserve da Weber whacks and then da Chiarot whacks ... you know that too i suspect ... anywho I have it on good sources that Simmonds will challenge Weber next game when it is his time ... should be a good tilt ... Simmonds is in fine form toying with Benn
He probably went a little far but he wanted to send a message not just to the leafs but the other teams, this is my area. It just happened to be the first game of the season. Weber doesn't fight but if he did it would only be if you got him angry. Simmonds would have to do more then just ask him

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Looked at the schedule for Feb 13 - 20

Montreal
Feb 13 vs Toronto
Feb 20 @Toronto

Toronto
Feb 13 @montreal
Feb 15 vs Ottawa
Feb 17 vs Ottawa
Feb 18 vs Ottawa
Feb 20 vs Montreal

How did that ever get through their schedule making software? Might as well forfeit that Feb 20 game now.
Habs play 4 games in 14 days then we play like 17 games in 31 days. It's not much better.
Leafs vs Habs best matchup in the nhl <3 <3 <3
Good game all and stay safe

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Two things are for certain. This game is going to overtime and Mathews is ripping one by Price yet again.

Last edited:
Reactions: glue

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This looks like the typical game where no matter the result, the hot takes will get blown way out of proportion. And I can guarantee I'll be one of the guys dishing out the hot takes.

Sorry guys, these games are just super emotional lol

Reactions: crump

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Gallagher gets hit like that all the time when he's in a dirty area, it's the way the game is played. He's a foot smaller then most players and he takes that punishment. If you don't want that cross check keep away from that area. I wouldn't have my star player in that area considering he's way more leathal just shooting the puck. Looking forward to an entertaining game, leafs are playing great, if we can stay from taking penalties habs should win if not then its an easy win for the Leafs
Disagree that if all things equal with penalties habs aren’t favoured to win. Leafs star power is insane so wouldn’t count on either side winning due to 5v5. Could go either way

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Last year too, the Habs had this very favorable schedule match up against the Leafs. 3 times getting us on the second night of a back to back and combined with Babcock's stubborn stupid policy that would see Hutch in net on the 2nd night.

Not a conspiracy, just typical stupid Hab luck.

And somehow they play the Leafs coming off a 3 day break, a 6 day break in a few weeks and another 3 day break towards the end of the season. Why does it feel like a well rested Leaf team never seems to play a tired Hab team? Hoping they bubble wrap Andersen tonight. I am not sure I can handle another start by Hutch or one of our back-ups like every game last year. Thanks Babs

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If we beat up on VAN/OTT --> .800 winning % = 30 points

Take 5 of 9 or 6 of 10 from CAL/WIN/EDM - 32 points

I'm ok with playing the Habs to .500 winning % (4-4-1) = 9 points

That would be 71 points --> .634 Winning %

= 104 point pace (82 game season)

That's only 50 more points in the remaining 43 games = 23-16-4 (95 point pace)

We would likely finish first or second in the Division and we'd be adding at the TDL.

Leafs - Habs in the 2nd round. Man I've waited since 1979 to see that.
This season is a freakin' life raft for me.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Boston vs Toronto for keeps this year ... Tampa vs Vegas ... goes to show you top 3 of 4 teams in entire league are in SAME Atlantic division ... what a joke

Would have been more fare to have cross- overs between divisions instead of one rep from each division.
Kind of feels more like Memorial Cup style the current way.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
First thing Keefe needs to do is start some trouble in this one by dressing Sabourine. Chiarot and Weber need to get a reminder they are getting a answer for going after Matthews. Simmonds was going to handle that. Now he’s out so I’m not so sure letting it slide just because Wayne Simmonds isn’t around to take care of it is a idea they should even think.
Somehow, "release the Sabourin" doesn't have a menacing feel to it.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah I heard same thing from kids that Simmonds had already told guys he was gonna challenge Weber before game in pre game skate in Montreal just to get the temp ... who knows if Weber accepts or cowards out but da scene would have been set and Habs room would have known when they went back in dressing room ... I used that tactic a few times myself
Matthews needs to turn around and get a twist on the Jersey and start throwing. He’s not exempt. Spezza being the example. These are like playoff games. Use them as a warm up if you are Matthews after getting beat down and the refs won’t make the right call for him. If the guy gets a. Hold of him someone third man in and get the Goalie to come down to grab price. Prime-er up yep

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lol why would the captain who is way more valuable to the team go and fight someone who isn't. Its like saying I wonder if mathews would fight Edmonson
I’d pick up a couple of goons off waivers and see how much value he has as a punching bag. But hey, what can i do. Ha

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Man, if we have a really good week and a bit, from Feb 13th-20th, the standings could look pretty great for us. Yes, we'd have more games played (by 3 I think?) but we could be potentially as many as like 13 points ahead (if the Habs lose to Edmonton, who are playing much better since they first played the Habs). We need to keep our foot on the gas and come out ready each night. Big opportunity.
We will have a chance if we expect a grind every game. These grind games are building characteristics in the team we were missing. Ugly games just mean lots of defensive work predominantly really.

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
Am I the only one not really concerned about Montreal? I’m not saying they’re not a strong team that will take games against us, but overall for 1st in the North?

Montreal is punching way above their weight right now, unless people actually believe Toffoli and Anderson are going to score 40 and Petry is above a PPG Dman.

I’m fully expecting a drop off, considering they’re also getting excellent goaltending between Price and Allen and have suffered zero injuries.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Am I the only one not really concerned about Montreal? I’m not saying they’re not a strong team that will take games against us, but overall for 1st in the North?

Montreal is punching way above their weight right now, unless people actually believe Toffoli and Anderson are going to score 40 and Petry is above a PPG Dman.

I’m fully expecting a drop off, considering they’re also getting excellent goaltending between Price and Allen and have suffered zero injuries.

I tend to agree. Their play, particularly offensively, doesn't seem sustainable.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I know Vesey has played sorta meh but his underlying numbers look good despite playing with some good linemates. Seems Keefe has some belief in him and thinks he can get more out of him. Can't write him off yet. Vesey and Mikheyev have more to show still, Kerfoot is looking like he's not gonna be a maple leafs long term tho.

Mar 14, 2011

Even after their scoring drop off like I expect it to, Montreal's defence is still top notch. Their 5 vs 5, xGA/60 is 2nd in the league despite playing in a highly offensive Northern division, for comparison, the Jets and the Leafs are 26th and 23rd respectively in these category. I have a feeling Montreal is going to be the New York Islanders of these season; a team that we expect to fall off as the weeks go by but never do.

Reactions: mattyboy

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It's a good measuring tape game. Dominating a weak Vancouver team kind of makes us look better than we probably are.
Hopefully they’re well rested after taking 90% of the last game off so they can focus on the habs. That said I want us to pull this off but I’m not sure if a loss means a lot given the current win streak. The team is overdue to cool down.

Reactions: Bluelines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad