Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs: Wednesday 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbadhabs33

Jan 19, 2021
All good lol I was just pointing it out and our 5 (Hyman) I would stack up against the Han #5 every day and twice on Sunday’s the man is a gamer beyond what very few NHLers are
To be honest I don't know who the habs#5 is, is it toffoli, Gallagher, tatar, Anderson, Suzuki, kk, drouin? I really don't know

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Habs fan checking in, a lot of advanced stats being thrown around here lol. Should be a good one tonight, leafs have looked dangerous and Matthews looks to be taking over as the leagues top goal scorer. Been looking forward to this game for a while, cheers.

Mar 14, 2011
It's a meaningful question that the stat answers, that has nothing to do with its r2 value.

The point is that if the question is "What's one single stat that will tell me which teams will play the best defense moving forward?", all stats will let you down. Also, people will let you down.

But in a fluid game with many variables that change over time, to have one that tells even 19% of the story is actually substantial. It's not a single stat that tells all. But if you can say that "Good defense can be attributed 19% to shot suppression", then that's a big piece of the pie you're dealing with. It's not the whole thing -- there's a long tail of factors. But it's not trash or useless.

It all comes down to the question being asked of the stat.
I agree, I went overboard calling the stat thrash, I was just shocked at how low the correlation actually is. In baseball, WAR generally have a correlation of above .7 to winning, that is why its generally seen as the "Absolute stat" in judging players, especially once BABIP is taken into consideration. If anything, this article showed we cant really treat xGA or corsi like we do with Baseball' s WAR, they more like pieces of the puzzle instead of the actual puzzle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well I hope you're satisfied winning the division, maybe they will raise a division banner up on the rafters.

That is only part 1 of the formalities.

Eliminating Montreal in the playoffs and advancing the actual exciting part I'm really waiting for. :wg:

These next 2 games should set the tone for that set-up.

Reactions: slozo

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Price is a shadow of his former self, but still capable of stealing the odd game. I worry he will show up tonight.

We want a quick goal to shake the man and for the boys play a 200ft game tonight, that will be the deciding factor, don't just get roped into straight north south attack hockey, remember your defensive assignment and I think we take a W tonight.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Win both in reg and we're a comfy 7 points ahead of them for 1st.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Looking forward to this game, obviously the best test defensively for our group. Also interested to see how great their defence really is faced with our potent offence, works both ways.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Think we get a bit roughed up tonight especially since we are ahead of them.
Wouldn't mind throwing sabourin in the lineup just in case. It's not like Barabanov or Vesey do anything might as well have someone in that will rough up other team if need be
This is one of few posts i’ve seen here to voice concern about us getting roughed up, do we play the Flames or Ottawa tonight?

I don’t see any goon/rat in that Canadiens team to warrant putting in Sabourin and i’m a little confuse, or maybe am I missing something?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Boston vs Toronto for keeps this year ... Tampa vs Vegas ... goes to show you top 3 of 4 teams in entire league are in SAME Atlantic division ... what a joke

Too bad Ottawa is not ready. The Leafs could have gone

Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Tampa Bay.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Bet we add no additional toughness to compensate for Simmonds and one of our guys has to leave the game with an injury due to a cheap shot and the penalty (if any) doesn't match the level of the crime.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Reactions: Vaive50

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Montreal Cross-Checks vs the Toronto Poke-Checks.

Should be a fun one tonight

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Too bad Ottawa is not ready. The Leafs could have gone

Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Tampa Bay.
That would be the dream. Although I’m more than happy to kick Edmonton out of the playoffs too. Nothing really against the team or the city, but some of the fans are unbearable on this site, and it would be sweet to see them cry.

Reactions: Jojalu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad