Post-Game Talk: Leafs Ground Jets 5-3

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Love that we somehow are in first after losing 5 playing our f- game. If the leafs show up to the playoffs with .9 goal tending and their b game we walk most of these teams

Reactions: willmma

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This was a sad excuse of a penalty.

Yeah pretty lame, we see way worse altercations after a whistle maybe 5 times a game. Refs were pretty bad both ways, shocked Galchenyuk didn't get called for a penalty on the Lowry hit, we got away with a 2 many men (bad line change) as well. Missed a couple trips on Winnipeg as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Decent win, nice to breakout of the slump.. but let's be honest, this last stretch of games is almost meaningless until the playoffs.

I don’t understand this mentality. Shouldn’t a great team full of competitors always be in pursuit of that winning feeling every time they’re on the ice? I look at other divisions and teams like Carolina, Vegas and Colorado always seem to enjoy coming out and blasting the opposition. No reason to let up.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I don't like dirty hits any more. I was conditioned like many a hockey fan, back in the days, to appreciate bone jarring hits and some grey area stuff even more, IF it was my guy doing it.

But I am enjoying alex g, playing for his hockey career. Something clicked in the guy, and its great to see.

It was also great to see O'dawg, say emphatically, that goaltending is by far and away, the most important position, on an NHL hockey team.

Two guys in the past thirty years, grumpy CANADIANS. Cherry and O'dawg, calling it square on .

I would love to see all three or four of our goalies get hot as pistols.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To state that this last stretch of games is meaningless is horrible for anyone to say especially anyone that has any idea about pro sports.

This stretch is to be built on so we are confident going into the playoffs. Teams hot and confident heading into the playoffs are the ones that succeed in any sport. Lets look at close to home, the Raptors. Currently on a 5 game win streak. If they continue this there is no team in the East that wants to play them first round. Not with that type of confidence that they have.

Look at past teams and what they have done in the playoffs. Columbus the past 2 seasons. Fighting for their lives to get into the playoffs. Playing great hockey up to the playoffs and they go on to knock off teams like Columbus and Toronto back to back years.

Go further in other sports. The NY Giants. Fight to get into the playoff and win 5 straight games at the end of the year to qualify as a Wild Card team. To go on an beat the best team in football the PAtriots for the Super Bowl.

Confidence is key going into the playoffs along with health. This last stretch of games is very important.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
There is something poetic about being done in many people's minds, then coming back and finding his form, leading us to a long run. I never understood dancing on his grave, it was always a reality we may still need him, anointing Jack based on not much was pure folly. Let's just hope someone takes the ball here, I almost don't care anymore, but Andersen is still the best bet.
Teams who have long playoff runs usually need contributions from a second goalie at some point. An in-form Andersen means him and Campbell are the clear top two. Otherwise it's Campbell + ???

Andersen is fighting for his Leafs and maybe NHL future. Hope he's putting in the work.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Appleton was coming off the bench, typically guys that do that are lost in coverage and go unnoticed.

That being said, Rielly if the pass was accurate, Rielly would have had enough time to make a play to get it out.

Just glad it wasn't a mistake that sunk the team. Got the lead back shortly after.

It feels like the whole team, Rielly especially, lately are handling passes like they are live hand grenades. they need to do some passing drills before the playoffs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That's weird way to interpret those plays to me. When you have the puck with control your goal is to get open for an outlet, not glue yourself to an opponent to make sure they are covered. That's what makes turnovers so dangerous.

They could have done a better job in coverage on the first goal (Holl and Taveras) for sure, but its a tough play for Holl in particular with Schiefle arriving late and him protecting the front of the net. He goes for the pass intercept and doesn't get all of it and Schiefle just takes a quick whack at the loose puck.

On the Copp goal, Copp is Brodies man, Brodie has the puck when the play starts to go bad (his poor pass), there's no possible way for Brodie to get to the net ahead of Copp.

Either way, on both goals with better puck management by Muzzin and Brodie/Rielly neither puck ends up in the back of the net.

On Muzz's mess up , Muzzed messed up and Holl should have never tried to check the guy behind the net. Leaning in like that puts you in a bad defensive spot and opened up the front of the net for a pass. Holl was forced kinda to make a bad play because Muzzed messed up.

On the Bridie f-up, there is no reason for him to be there TBH, the forwards should have made that play. To make matters worse 3 Leafs lost a board battle with 2 Jets. If Brodie is going in for a 50/50 one of the forwards should have been in the upper slot area by the top of the face off area for an outlet pass, 10-15 feet away from the boards.

I think at any rate most of us agree that those two defensive mistakes should have never happed, how we want to play it would different depending on your hockey style preference, no one opinion is more right.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
To state that this last stretch of games is meaningless is horrible for anyone to say especially anyone that has any idea about pro sports.

This stretch is to be built on so we are confident going into the playoffs. Teams hot and confident heading into the playoffs are the ones that succeed in any sport. Lets look at close to home, the Raptors. Currently on a 5 game win streak. If they continue this there is no team in the East that wants to play them first round. Not with that type of confidence that they have.

Look at past teams and what they have done in the playoffs. Columbus the past 2 seasons. Fighting for their lives to get into the playoffs. Playing great hockey up to the playoffs and they go on to knock off teams like Columbus and Toronto back to back years.

Go further in other sports. The NY Giants. Fight to get into the playoff and win 5 straight games at the end of the year to qualify as a Wild Card team. To go on an beat the best team in football the PAtriots for the Super Bowl.

Confidence is key going into the playoffs along with health. This last stretch of games is very important.

I agree with that part 100%, I just disagree with the idea of avoiding/wanting certain matchups in the first round, doesn't get easier after round 1.We can beat anyone in our division in a 7 game series, despite where we finish in the standings (1-4). Avoid injury and prepare for the playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
On Muzz's mess up , Muzzed messed up and Holl should have never tried to check the guy behind the net. Leaning in like that puts you in a bad defensive spot and opened up the front of the net for a pass. Holl was forced kinda to make a bad play because Muzzed messed up.

On the Bridie f-up, there is no reason for him to be there TBH, the forwards should have made that play. To make matters worse 3 Leafs lost a board battle with 2 Jets. If Brodie is going in for a 50/50 one of the forwards should have been in the upper slot area by the top of the face off area for an outlet pass, 10-15 feet away from the boards.

I think at any rate most of us agree that those two defensive mistakes should have never happed, how we want to play it would different depending on your hockey style preference, no one opinion is more right.
Too many just stupid defensive mistakes .. Muzzy was careless and gave puck away ... Holl did not manage net front properly .. Brodie throws a pass to last man back right in front of our net with 2 guys on him ... Rielly muffs pass ... there are times in a hockey game where there is no good breakout either because other team has trap setup or your teammates are not positioned right ... so sometimes you have to give up possession or eat a puck for a whistle ... there is nothing wrong with a flip out of your own end and getting 4 or 5 guys behind da puck and giving up a puck .. sure da game is changing but there are times when a D man has got to think puck exit 1st priority ... anywho maybe I am just too old school it has been bashed into me since I was 5 and I was behaviourally corrected by my dad and coaches so many times it is impossible to change

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Love that we somehow are in first after losing 5 playing our f- game. If the leafs show up to the playoffs with .9 goal tending and their b game we walk most of these teams

Don't think so...you're assuming the opposition would just roll over and die.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
All we need is competent, steal a game once in a while goaltending and we can give anyone in the NHL, a hard time.

Keefe has overplayed some of his D. Apart from that, I am pretty happy with KEEFE.

I coached more ranked Ontario and Canadian ranked players I believe in Canadian history. Via a club that hated juniors getting any court time.

Key to my success, I hired smarter people than me, all the time. Delegated very well. And schmoozed the fans, the parents and whoever else it took, so we could have some court time. lol.

We have tremendous talent, ridiculous talent.

We have some really good foot soldiers. But if our goalies don't instill confidence in the have AND have nots on our team.

Both, sides, will look forward to getting out on a golf course that allows you to play.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
It looks like a neck sprain from the hit.

Someone, on this board mentioned that Galchenyuk was aggressive but not strong enough on the finish to the boards.

LOL. Ever since then, buddy has been hurting people. Do I LOVE IT...... hell yeah. A found wallet with no money in it producing like a 4.5 million dollar player.....

Who doesn't like that on this side of the bench.

Reactions: Superstar

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I would love a counter for the number of times "Team X has a great chance to overtake Toronto for 1st, don't be shocked if they end up on top" followed by the Leafs beating them head-to-head. Every time someone has come close this year (a winning streak or we go on a skid) we beat them and increase our lead back to something more comfortable.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last night stung for the Jets who were hoping to close the gap for the division lead. Now they have an uphill battle to get there.

Saturday's game is big. If the Leafs can pull out a win, that might change the Jet's focus to maintaining home ice advantage over Edmonton.

That being said the Leafs and Jets face off in the last game of the year. Should the Leafs regress back to their slumping ways, that game could decide the division.

Reactions: Menzinger

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Last night stung for the Jets who were hoping to close the gap for the division lead. Now they have an uphill battle to get there.

Saturday's game is big. If the Leafs can pull out a win, that might change the Jet's focus to maintaining home ice advantage over Edmonton.

That being said the Leafs and Jets face off in the last game of the year. Should the Leafs regress back to their slumping ways, that game could decide the division.
So its another must win? LOL!

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Was there a timetable for the Bogosian's return? How bad did the injury look? Im praying it's not serious

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So its another must win? LOL!

Lol! I wouldn't say it's a must-win, but it's a big opportunity for the Leafs to start cementing the division.

The kind of games that good teams win to keep moving forward. Not the end of the world if they lose but it's a lost opportunity since they can help themselves and hurt the Jets at the same time.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Refreshing to see that other teams are capable of being 'out-goalie'd' for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad