Post-Game Talk: Leafs Ground Jets 5-3

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They also teach you to dump it out off the boards every time in peewee, the NHL game is different.

I think they both share blame in that one.

Disagree, that pass was too far out of Rielly's reach particularly for how hard it was. Mostly Brodie's fault. Now Rielly probably could have played his recovery better and blocked the pass but we know he's not good at that.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Sorry, you don't throw errant passes in front of your own net.

I don't care what level the player is, that's always a dumb thing to do.

Brodie look a look and Rielly was wide open for an outlet pass. If he makes that pass, the Leafs move the puck up easily.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Disagree, that pass was too far out of Rielly's reach particularly for how hard it was. Mostly Brodie's fault. Now Rielly probably could have played his recovery better and blocked the pass but we know he's not good at that.
I agree, I guess what I'm saying more of is I don't think it was a dumb idea, just that if you are gonna pass right in front like that you have to make sure it's a great pass which that certainly was not (which is on Brodie). But considering Rielly called for the pass in the first place and was expecting it, I don't think it was impossible to receive, and I've seen many players on our team catch worse passes (usually every game).

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
May the stars align and the hockey gods smile down on us.
One of the 3 goalies just needs to get on a hot steak at the start of the playoffs. Another 12-0 steak to start would be amazing followed by 4-3 would be acceptable

Yeah, I would even take a triple overtime in the 4-3 win...:sarcasm:

Reactions: saltming

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs on the year defensively compared to the rest of the league:

Shots Against: 8th in the NHL
xGA: 4th in the NHL
Team Save%: 18th in the NHL
Goals Against 12th in the NHL

All within one of the highest-scoring groups.

Still getting let down by uneven goaltending but, statistically, this year's team is arguably the best defensive Leafs team most of us have seen in our lifetimes.
They could be even better if they were not so giveaway prone. These numbers are ugly. Other contenders don’t cough up the puck like we have. Needs some attention before going in to playoffs and we are even a better team. Management of the puck is important to win a cup. Anyways here are the stats.
https://morehockeystats.com/teams/givetake

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Campbell was okay in this game, but his body language isn’t the same. When he was on that run, he was huge in net, always square and out of the crease, only going down really when required. I can’t count how many saves he made off his shoulders up high, all because he was so positionally sound and quiet. You watch him now, even last night, he’s much more defensively in net, smaller, retreating, fighting the puck, going down immediately. We all hope he returns to form, but nobody can truly be sold on the guy.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: DarkKnight

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Blaming rielly for that in any way shape or form is silly.

Muzzin and Brodie both made brutal unforced errors leading directly to the goals. The guys left hung out to dry don't deserve any blame.

It happens.
Agree with everything but the bolded. When Muzzin turns the puck over behind the net, everyone in the rink knew where the pass was going, except Justin Holl. His job is not to block the pass but be aware of Mark Schiefele behind him (he doesn't even look, rarely practices 'head on a swivel') and make sure Scheifele can't receive a pass or get a shot off. Muzzin needed his partner to bail him out there and his partner didn't do it. They have a team down 2 in the first few shifts of the game and give them an easy one right back. Holl was in position but he's watching the play rather than tying up his man. That just can't happen.

Justin Holl does well defending the puck whether it be on the rush or down low/boards/cycle etc. He also does a pretty good job making the short passes/chip plays to get the puck up to forwards or up out of the zone. These abilities make a positive impact.... but..... Justin Holl often does very poorly in coverage away from the puck. The simple defense of taking away the front of the net by tying up sticks so they can't receive a pass, can't deflect a puck, and can't bang in a rebound etc. We could probably find 10 goals against this year (I can think of 5-6 off the top of my head) where his inability to take care of this basic responsibility has cost them a goal that should have been prevented. He 'puck watches' far too often and I think it's a pretty concerning point for a player on the shut-down pair. These gaffes every few games can really burn a team in a short series.

I know you love Justin Holl and his charts and graphs make you warm and fuzzy but he isn't very good at something they need him to be good at if he's on their shut down pair.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm excited for how hard guys like Thornton, Spezza, Foligno, Bogosian are going to go in Playoffs, and how hard everyone else will be going for them. These guys know this is their chance and will definitely crank it up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leafs on the year defensively compared to the rest of the league:

Shots Against: 8th in the NHL
xGA: 4th in the NHL
Team Save%: 18th in the NHL
Goals Against 12th in the NHL

All within one of the highest-scoring groups.

Still getting let down by uneven goaltending but, statistically, this year's team is arguably the best defensive Leafs team most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

Interesting that our SV% is middle of the pack. Going by all the moaning and crying about our goaltending, you'd think we were 28th in this category instead of 18th. Every time a bad goal goes in, people lose their minds when the truth is, it happens all the time and that's what average NHL goaltending looks like..

I have similar thoughts on this argument about if it was Rielly, Brodie, Campbell or whoever else is to blame on that goal last night. Who cares? It was a mistake, mistakes happen every game, it's not a big deal at all. Rielly and Brodie have both played great this season, that's the end of the story for me.

And before anyone starts on me, yes Rielly has been great and I have no idea why so many people are crapping on him this season. If you have a different opinion that's fine bit I don't care to debate it, we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Tomorrow is the biggest game of the year for me. Win, and we're probably 90% or something to play MTL in the 1st round which is what I've been waiting for forever. GLG!!

Reactions: Zybalto and willmma

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Dubois trying to size up Simmonds is the equivalent of a toddler shoving a UFC fighter.
What a catharsis that was for this long suffering leaf fan-the highlight of the game. It was so embarrassing to see no payback on Edler for his slew foot on Hyman, this was a great tonic

Reactions: Cobra777

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What a catharsis that was for this long suffering leaf fan-the highlight of the game. It was so embarrassing to see no payback on Edler for his slew foot on Hyman, this was a great tonic

Edler was literally ejected from the game moments after that knee and was suspended for the next game.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->