Post-Game Talk: Leafs Ground Jets 5-3

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To me it all depends on our goaltending in the playoffs. If it holds up, then trading for Foligno is fine. If not, then it's terrible.

Huge win last night, especially for those of us who desperately want to play MTL in the 1st round. Let's do it again tomorrow night boys.
Agreed on the goaltending. I am praying Andy comes back as his old self. I'm still not sold on Campbell. It seems he gets too much into his head.
As a starter that's a killer.
I do hope he figures it out as when he's on he's good and I enjoy his hybrid style, but for the playoffs I was solid stable goaltending.
Also, if our defense would tighten up to how it was about a third into the season and stayed that way for the playoff, I would not complain one bit. I might actually be happy

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed on the goaltending. I am praying Andy comes back as his old self. I'm still not sold on Campbell. It seems he gets too much into his head.
I do hope he figures it out as when he's on he's good and I enjoy his hybrid style, but for the playoffs I was solid stable goaltending.
Also, if our defense would tighten up to how it was about a third into the season and stayed that way for the playoff, I would not complain one bit. I might actually be happy

Considering playing in net is probably the toughest job in sports, Toronto is the toughest market to play in and all the pressure there is to win now after years of playoff failures ... yup, the mental makeup of Campbell is an obvious concern, right up there with Matthews' wrist. Here's hoping.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
As I said in the last PGT, give this team just average goaltending or above average goaltending and they can win you hockey games. Campbell didn't have a fantastic game but he did his job and we got the W. Even with us playing as average as tonight, we still can win games. When everybody is going this team can be dominate on the forecheck, our play in the D zone is another thing.

Still wondering who comes out when Hyman and Mikheyev are back in the lineup, The obvious choices are Brooks and Engvall, but then who plays 4c? From the sounds of it, I don't think theres any chance Jumbo becomes a healthy scratch.
I agree with you. It should be Engvall and Thornton. I don’t want us to sacrifice speed in favour of slow, lumbering grit. If Simmonds plays like he did last night he has a place in the bottom 6. Everyone else besides Spezza should be able to skate and finish checks.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
That should have been a 5-1 , 5-0 game. horrid minor league mistakes by our defenders. Happy for the win but not impressed that we have no learned a damn thing this year about how to play without the puck.

I guess our plan is to jump out early and hope and pray we an hang on for a win.
I'd say it was the play with the puck that was the issue. First 2 goals against we had the puck on our stick under control in the defensive zone and made poor plays to hand it over to the Jets who immediately put the turnovers in the back of the net.

Campbell and Brodie didn't do Muzzin and Rielly any favors with passes putting them in bad positions but both need to recognize the pressure and get rid of the puck. Muzzin should have one timed that pass around the boards and Rielly should have never tried to coral the Brodie pass and just deflected it away from danger.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Campbell was okay in this game, but his body language isn’t the same. When he was on that run, he was huge in net, always square and out of the crease, only going down really when required. I can’t count how many saves he made off his shoulders up high, all because he was so positionally sound and quiet. You watch him now, even last night, he’s much more defensively in net, smaller, retreating, fighting the puck, going down immediately. We all hope he returns to form, but nobody can truly be sold on the guy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Considering playing in net is probably the toughest job in sports, Toronto is the toughest market to play in and all the pressure there is to win now after years of playoff failures ... yup, the mental makeup of Campbell is an obvious concern, right up there with Matthews' wrist. Here's hoping.
I'm less concerned about his wrist now than I was when it happened. He seems to be regaining velocity on his shot, so that's a great sign

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Campbell was okay in this game, but his body language isn’t the same. When he was on that run, he was huge in net, always square and out of the crease, only going down really when required. I can’t count how many saves he made off his shoulders up high, all because he was so positionally sound and quiet. You watch him now, even last night, he’s much more defensively in net, smaller, retreating, fighting the puck, going down immediately. We all hope he returns to form, but nobody can truly be sold on the guy.
Ya you could tell he was concerned with closing his holes and Imo seemed worried about letting in a softie.
The good is that he did the job last night, not let's see what the next games bring

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ya you could tell he was concerned with closing his holes and Imo seemed worried about letting in a softie.
The good is that he did the job last night, not let's see what the next games bring
Everyone is rooting for him, we need some goaltending or we’re going nowhere...and that’s a shame with this roster.

Reactions: saltming

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm less concerned about his wrist now than I was when it happened. He seems to be regaining velocity on his shot, so that's a great sign

I'm less concerned also but since it seems to come and go, there's no guarantee it won't flare up again. But hopefully it won't, goaltending is definitely the biggest area of concern, as it has been for months.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If Andersen comes back we have 3 capable goalies. Not concerned
I think this team has the ability to turn it up a notch in the playoffs, and can now add the jam. Guys like Thornton, Spezza, Foligno, Simmonds are hungry, some at the tail end of their career
I like our chances against anyone

Reactions: willmma and ToneDog

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Everyone is rooting for him, we need some goaltending or we’re going nowhere...and that’s a shame with this roster.
May the stars align and the hockey gods smile down on us.
One of the 3 goalies just needs to get on a hot steak at the start of the playoffs. Another 12-0 steak to start would be amazing followed by 4-3 would be acceptable

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd say it was the play with the puck that was the issue. First 2 goals against we had the puck on our stick under control in the defensive zone and made poor plays to hand it over to the Jets who immediately put the turnovers in the back of the net.

Campbell and Brodie didn't do Muzzin and Rielly any favors with passes putting them in bad positions but both need to recognize the pressure and get rid of the puck. Muzzin should have one timed that pass around the boards and Rielly should have never tried to coral the Brodie pass and just deflected it away from danger.

On one play we had 3 Leafs on the boards vs 2 Jets, Copp who was along the boards beat all 3 of our guys to the net, that should never ever happen to a team of pro's. That is little league 101.

Muzz was in no mans land never really challenged the puck after he lost the puck, our guys in front of the net , 2 of them never took Schiffle, one of those guys should have tied up his stick

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
May the stars align and the hockey gods smile down on us.
One of the 3 goalies just needs to get on a hot steak at the start of the playoffs. Another 12-0 steak to start would be amazing followed by 4-3 would be acceptable
Let's put the 4-3 at the start and then follow with the 12-0.... for the sake of my heart.

Reactions: saltming

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Good game! Foligno looked great! Campbell looked steady when needed! Can’t wait for a full healthy lineup!

Foligno-Matty-Marner
Gally-JT-Willy
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikey
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

I actually dont know how their going to do that 4th line given Spez doesn’t really play Center anymore.

Oh and the best part of the game was Simmonds taking Dubois for a walk..on his knees! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Blaming rielly for that in any way shape or form is silly.

Muzzin and Brodie both made brutal unforced errors leading directly to the goals. The guys left hung out to dry don't deserve any blame.

It happens.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Blaming rielly for that in any way shape or form is silly.

Muzzin and Brodie both made brutal unforced errors leading directly to the goals. The guys left hung out to dry don't deserve any blame.

It happens.
If you watch the replay Rielly actually starts skating up and calls for Brodie to pass to him. It wasn't an excellent pass from Brodie but imo Rielly (and most NHLers) still should have been able to receive it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Going to be ironic for some of the Andy haters to have to cheer for him in the playoffs knowing he is the key to success. Hopefully Andy will serve them a nice helping of crow and they will enjoy chewing on it with a nice cold one.

Reactions: egd27

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The game overall was played well and like the previous 5 we should have won. The difference last night was that we got better goaltending then the previous 5 and not by much.

Key points and observations:

1. Campbell comes out of his net way too much, and has cost us many of goals against because of it. He needs to stay in his net when the forecheck is on from the opposition. He's trying to do too much. (Muzzin giveaway was on him)

2. Brodie uncharacteristically made a bad play on one of the goals. People on this board have been blaming Reilly but that goal was all on Brodie. To be honest, Brodie played his worst game as a Leaf last night.

3. Foligno is a force. With more reps with Marner and Matthews, that line is going to be a handful for opposition. I liked the unselfish play of his on the empty netter. Could have easily shot at open net but deferred on a nice play to Marner. He should have picked up an assist on the first Marner goal, his hard work and fight made that goal possible. I like his defensive play awareness. On a couple of plays at an end of a shift you can hear him directing defensive coverage to his peers as he locks down the left wing boards in the neutral zone. Could have easily switched up on the line change but stayed on to play defensively.

4. Powerplay looked sharp passing the puck around. They need to shoot more from the point with bodies in front. Teams have caught on when it comes to Marner with the puck looking for Matthews cross slot for one timer.

5. Brooks looked very impressive. Didnt know he had the fiestiness in him. He throws his body around and creates chances. He needs to shoot more as yesterday he passed the puck 2 times in a great shooting position.

6. Dermott and Sandin were great. I liked how Dermott played on the right side. Sandin is slowly gaining confidence with his rushes and pinches. Created a handful of scoring chances with his play.

Reactions: Lauro

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Given Foligno coming off his 7 day quarantine and probably not having his skating legs, he did well. Nicely seperated the puck from a Jets dman in the corner for a turnover (yeah a hit can do that). He is only going to get better and when Hyman returns, we'll have 2 elite lines that will be very difficult to play against and contain.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If you watch the replay Rielly actually starts skating up and calls for Brodie to pass to him. It wasn't an excellent pass from Brodie but imo Rielly (and most NHLers) still should have been able to receive it.

You get taught not to make that pass in peewee.

Luckily we don't see that too often from Brodie.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs on the year defensively compared to the rest of the league:

Shots Against: 8th in the NHL
xGA: 4th in the NHL
Team Save%: 18th in the NHL
Goals Against 12th in the NHL

All within one of the highest-scoring groups.

Still getting let down by uneven goaltending but, statistically, this year's team is arguably the best defensive Leafs team most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
You get taught not to make that pass in peewee.

Luckily we don't see that too often from Brodie.
They also teach you to dump it out off the boards every time in peewee, the NHL game is different.

I think they both share blame in that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad