Leafs going forward

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I don't things are as bad as people are making it out to be.

1.Fire Carlyle his system doesn't work and what is worse is his refusal to adapt to his players or how the game is played today. His in ability to communicate with the younger players as caused us to lose players like Grabo and Mac cause he didn't like them. Now grabbo who cares but if Mac was like he would be here instead of Clarkson and our cap would be better off.

2. Bring in a coach who is a communicator especially for the young guys where he can teach and help develop these guys like Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly.

3. Bring in assistant coaches who have a clear concept of systems and especially a D coach who can work hard with these guys. I would tend to lean towards a former player who has played the game. TB hired Stumpy and it was a great move...good teams usually have a guy fresh out of the game so they understand today's players.

4. Implement a good D zone structure and its a non-starter if guys don't compete on that side of the puck their ice time is reduced. At the same time talk to guys like Kessel and ask more from him....some players its a mental game you have to play with them.

5.Insulate Phaneuf with a few more veteran leaders who can play a significant role on the club. You can't have 4th liners who lead as their impact is virtually null. Bring in a couple of top 9 guys who have won Stanley Cups or been down the long playoff road on multiple occasions. Allow these guys to push the leadership away from a single person.

6. Move Lupul, Franson, Reimer, Raymond. I think these guys can be upgraded for 1 or 2 pieces. I would think a package of Lupul, Franson and Reimer would net a D partner for Dion or a good 2 way forward to replace Lupul.

7.Establish early next season your hockey blueprint on how to play the game and enforce it on all players with the Marlies and Leafs. Hold guys accountable with ice time or healthy scratches early in the season.

Canning Carlyle and changing the system will be a huge first step. Imagine cutting down almost 15-20 shots against and not having tons of zone time against cause the points are left open all day long. You may end up with even more goals for and less against.

Its not as bleak as people make it out to be. We are a bubble team and that is where we were going to be to start the year. Its just a collapse has put us into that instead of looking at home ice in the first round.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This group failed under Wilson, flamed out in game seven last year, and is now flaming out under Carlyle. It is obvious that the players are the biggest problem and that big changes need to be made.

There are a few things you can directly point at and say that they influenced this.

Carlyle*
Franson
Dion
Clarkson
Raymond for not being a team player

I swear if those players are not on the ice this team has a chance.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

1.Fire Carlyle his system doesn't work and what is worse is his refusal to adapt to his players or how the game is played today. His in ability to communicate with the younger players as caused us to lose players like Grabo and Mac cause he didn't like them. Now grabbo who cares but if Mac was like he would be here instead of Clarkson and our cap would be better off.

2. Bring in a coach who is a communicator especially for the young guys where he can teach and help develop these guys like Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly.

3. Bring in assistant coaches who have a clear concept of systems and especially a D coach who can work hard with these guys. I would tend to lean towards a former player who has played the game. TB hired Stumpy and it was a great move...good teams usually have a guy fresh out of the game so they understand today's players.

4. Implement a good D zone structure and its a non-starter if guys don't compete on that side of the puck their ice time is reduced. At the same time talk to guys like Kessel and ask more from him....some players its a mental game you have to play with them.

5.Insulate Phaneuf with a few more veteran leaders who can play a significant role on the club. You can't have 4th liners who lead as their impact is virtually null. Bring in a couple of top 9 guys who have won Stanley Cups or been down the long playoff road on multiple occasions. Allow these guys to push the leadership away from a single person.

6. Move Lupul, Franson, Reimer, Raymond. I think these guys can be upgraded for 1 or 2 pieces. I would think a package of Lupul, Franson and Reimer would net a D partner for Dion or a good 2 way forward to replace Lupul.

7.Establish early next season your hockey blueprint on how to play the game and enforce it on all players with the Marlies and Leafs. Hold guys accountable with ice time or healthy scratches early in the season.

Canning Carlyle and changing the system will be a huge first step. Imagine cutting down almost 15-20 shots against and not having tons of zone time against cause the points are left open all day long. You may end up with even more goals for and less against.

Its not as bleak as people make it out to be. We are a bubble team and that is where we were going to be to start the year. Its just a collapse has put us into that instead of looking at home ice in the first round.

I agree with you but with Dion. His reputation for clutch failure is maybe to big now. How do you keep this guy? Honestly, how do you keep him as of right now?

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
This group failed under Wilson, flamed out in game seven last year, and is now flaming out under Carlyle. It is obvious that the players are the biggest problem and that big changes need to be made.

Personally, I think it's kinda harsh to include the game 7 collapse as a data point. The team played fundamentally better hockey last year than they did at almost any point this year. Speed, hitting, aggressive forecheck. Therein lies the key to the way forward, imo. Unlike the vast majority here, I don't think the core is rotten. But management needs to figure out whether the difference from last year has to do with the personnel or the coaching or some combination of the both and then make the necessary changes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Personally, I think it's kinda harsh to include the game 7 collapse as a data point. The team played fundamentally better hockey last year than they did at almost any point this year. Speed, hitting, aggressive forecheck. Therein lies the key to the way forward, imo. Unlike the vast majority here, I don't think the core is rotten. But management needs to figure out whether the difference from last year has to do with the personnel or the coaching or some combination of the both and then make the necessary changes.

I really think it's a lot to do with Dion and Franson plus the coach. I just can't get over Dions terrible clutch play, he froze in game 7 as well last year. He is the common denominator and think he needs to go. Broken captain at this point.

StevenJHyde

Mar 7, 2011
Point Place, WI
If I was in charge of this team, I would:

Fire Carlyle

To be fair, I do not place all of the blame solely on Carlyle. The players have to be held accountable too and ultimately the coach can not teach smarts and common sense. With that said, I feel Carlyle has been stubborn in certain areas.

- Not playing players to their strength: Repeatedly playing one or two of Orr/McLaren when clearly they were not being as effective as last year. He also does not put players in a position to succeed or leave well enough alone. Example: Holland plays great on a line with Lupul and Raymond, shows some hustle and chemistry, so what does he do? Puts Holland on the fourth line. Bodie shows a ton of heart and adds a physical element, what does he do? Replaces him with Orr.

- Carlyle's Doghouse: Whether it was MacArthur/Grabovski in the past or Reimer/Lupul/Kadri in the present, it is no surprise that he loves to put certain players in his doghouse and keep them there regardless of what they do.

Strip Captaincy from Phaneuf:

Again, I do not blame Phaneuf exclusively. If anything I believe Dion has had a good season (recent skid excluded). It is clear to me that he cannot handle being the Captain in this hotbed market and firmly believe that this would only benefit Phaneuf.

They need to give the captaincy to a player that can handle the scrutiny and pressure that goes with being a captain in Toronto. Whether that is someone who is already on this team or an veteran acquisition in the summer it needs to be done.

Finally, for those that think you can't strip the captaincy without trading a player, look no further than Patrick Marleau, Patrik Elias, and Milan Hejduk, the latter of which actually gave up the captaincy. Also, if Dion is a good leader like the players say he is, then a 'C' on your chest isn't going to change that.

Leave the top line in tacked:

There is no point in completely going nutso here. This line has been arguably top 5 line all season, and while people may like to get on Kessel for his latest struggles, he is not the issue here. Our 2nd line scoring needs to step up and not rely on Phil game-in, game-out.

Revamp Scouting staff:

Seriously when was the last time Leafs drafted a diamond in the rough? Kaberle? You would think that a team like the Leafs with the money that they have, restricted by a cap system, would apply those funds towards a stellar scouting staff. Let's poach staff from Detroit, Chicago, San Jose and St. Louis.

Trade Franson, acquire a top-4, minute eating d-man:

Let's be honest here, while everyone here loves to crap on Dion Phaneuf, who do you put out there when you are trying to defend a lead or a last minute surge?

In my opinion, we don't have a dependable 2nd pairing that can relieve our top pairing. This is apparently evident when facing deep teams that have more than one line who can score. Dion and Gunner can only shutdown so many players. That is why this team needs someone who can log 15-20 steady, non-flashy minutes a night. The ideal scenario is to acquire a top 2 dman and place Gunnerson on the 2nd pairing with Reilly/Gardiner.

Trade Clarkson:

Admittedly, I was one of the few that liked the signing. It was what we needed, a heart-and-sole guy who will put everything on the line to win. The problem is that the pressure to perform, matched with the contract has been too much for him. I mean come on, the fans and media were labeling him as the next Wendel Clark. As a Leaf fan growing up, you can't honestly tell me that does not put a huge amount of pressure on him. It is my believe that Clarkson isn't a bad player, but rather trying to live up to the contract by doing too much. I'm not expecting a Clarkson who is dangling around d-men. I want a Clarkson who will crash and bang, stir up trouble and pot 15-20 goals a season. Leave the dangles to JVR and Kessel.

Now despite my willingness to trade him, I am still willing to give him another chance. Perhaps Clarkson after this season will assess what he needs to do and just do what he needs to do. Also we have seen players bounce back in their 2nd years after signing a big contract.

Also, for those who will say "but his contract make's him untradeable". If Shawn Horcoff can be traded, so too can Clarkson.

Re-sign Bolland to a 1-year deal:

Bolland is one of those guys we need on this team. He's a guy that knows what it takes to win and knows his role on it. With that said, his injury history should not be ignored and we still do not know exactly how his latest injury has effected him. I would be willing to sign him to a 1 year deal at 5 mil if that is what it takes.

Make a splash:

Now this could be tied to a deal for a top pairing d-man, but I feel the Leafs management need to show that they mean business. I would look to package some of the following in Lupul, Kadri, perhaps prospects in exchange for a legit top six foward who can not only score, but can be responsible in his own end. Essentially we need a 2nd line that can score but is not a liability. Of course I would also consider moving Gardiner + for a top 2 d-man.

Re-sign Raymond and Kulemin if deal is right:

I would look to resign these guys, only if the deals make sense. If they want too much, then let them walk.

Release/Trade McClement, Orr, McLaren:

At this point we have enough young players that could fill the roles, while being cheaper. Smith, Holland, Bodie, D'Amigo, Ashton are all guys who could be placed in a third or fourth line role. Not to mention everyone of these guys would be more effective than all three.

Trade Reimer/Acquire veteran backup:

It's clear that Reimer does not want to be a backup for the Leafs, nor do I see the commitment/mental focus there to be one . I see no point in continuing this next season. Bernier is the obvious starter and what this team needs is a goaltender that knows his role but at the same time can fill in if the chance arises. Emery and Elliott would be ideal choices, but perhaps MacIntyre could be an option if all else fails.

Projected lines if I had my way:

Agree with this in FULL.
Especially on two facets of the post:

Firing Carlyle- I don't see any way they could possibly move forward with Carlyle at this point.

The defensive strategy he's implemented with this team has been chronically flawed and it's finally taking its toll on the team's results.

Making a splash- Time after time we are told by Leafs management that they are not interested in getting involved in any sweepstakes for any big-named star players whenever they have become available via free agency or trade...

I think it may be time to re-think that strategy.
To become an actual cup contender this lineup is definitely going to need a bit more fire power.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Agree with this in FULL.
Especially on two facets of the post:

Firing Carlyle- I don't see any way they could possibly move forward with Carlyle at this point.

The defensive strategy he's implemented with this team has been chronically flawed and it's finally taking its toll on the team's results.

Making a splash- Time after time we are told by Leafs management that they are not interested in getting involved in any sweepstakes for any big-named star players whenever they have become available via free agency or trade...

I think it may be time to re-think that strategy.
To become an actual cup contender this lineup is definitely going to need a bit more fire power.

Which coach? We've had two with basically the same core and Carlyle actually had success. As far as the free agents go, I agree. Now, if only there was money to pay said guy who will want it

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Nonis needs to be canned immediately!

For keeping Carlyle who is a terrible coach... Hey won a cup having Pronger & Scott back there with the studs up front not because he is a quality coach... He has lost the locker room... GM needs the nuts to address it

Signing Dion mid season for 7mil x 7 is a complete train wreck... If they let this play out maybe Dion would actually try harder to earn a contract and the team would be more successful or they do what they are doing and you let him hit the market and laugh at the others that would offer that contract or more... Basically telling this market and league he is our Captain for the next 7 years... what a joke!

Clarkson contract? Like really? Not many thought it was that good deal at the start of season nevermind what he has failed to deliver... 5.25 for 7 years for a guy who's numbers continue to decline since Kovi left him... Complete train WRECK!

Standing pat at the trade deadline after hand cuffing the team to the cap and not wanting to try to win... Look at their record since... No ironic that the other teams that made the moves are climbing...

I also think he and his stupid coach also ruined James Reimer too... Hopefully the kid can get a deal somewhere and have success.. Guy who has always had a great attitude and brought us to the playoffs last year gets stomped on..

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Nonis needs to be canned immediately!

For keeping Carlyle who is a terrible coach... Hey won a cup having Pronger & Scott back there with the studs up front not because he is a quality coach... He has lost the locker room... GM needs the nuts to address it

Signing Dion mid season for 7mil x 7 is a complete train wreck... If they let this play out maybe Dion would actually try harder to earn a contract and the team would be more successful or they do what they are doing and you let him hit the market and laugh at the others that would offer that contract or more... Basically telling this market and league he is our Captain for the next 7 years... what a joke!

Clarkson contract? Like really? Not many thought it was that good deal at the start of season nevermind what he has failed to deliver... 5.25 for 7 years for a guy who's numbers continue to decline since Kovi left him... Complete train WRECK!

Standing pat at the trade deadline after hand cuffing the team to the cap and not wanting to try to win... Look at their record since... No ironic that the other teams that made the moves are climbing...

I also think he and his stupid coach also ruined James Reimer too... Hopefully the kid can get a deal somewhere and have success.. Guy who has always had a great attitude and brought us to the playoffs last year gets stomped on..

Nonis isn't going anywhere... On the other hand he should get to work interviewing Carlyle's replacement.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nonis isn't going anywhere... On the other hand he should get to work interviewing Carlyle's replacement.

Carlyle should be fired today and no later. They need to shed him an let this team play freely and rally or not on it's own merits for the final games. Interim coach and a blank chalkboard.

End if story.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
If I was in charge of this team, I would:

Fire Carlyle

To be fair, I do not place all of the blame solely on Carlyle. The players have to be held accountable too and ultimately the coach can not teach smarts and common sense. With that said, I feel Carlyle has been stubborn in certain areas.

- Not playing players to their strength: Repeatedly playing one or two of Orr/McLaren when clearly they were not being as effective as last year. He also does not put players in a position to succeed or leave well enough alone. Example: Holland plays great on a line with Lupul and Raymond, shows some hustle and chemistry, so what does he do? Puts Holland on the fourth line. Bodie shows a ton of heart and adds a physical element, what does he do? Replaces him with Orr.

- Carlyle's Doghouse: Whether it was MacArthur/Grabovski in the past or Reimer/Lupul/Kadri in the present, it is no surprise that he loves to put certain players in his doghouse and keep them there regardless of what they do.

Strip Captaincy from Phaneuf:

Again, I do not blame Phaneuf exclusively. If anything I believe Dion has had a good season (recent skid excluded). It is clear to me that he cannot handle being the Captain in this hotbed market and firmly believe that this would only benefit Phaneuf.

They need to give the captaincy to a player that can handle the scrutiny and pressure that goes with being a captain in Toronto. Whether that is someone who is already on this team or an veteran acquisition in the summer it needs to be done.

Finally, for those that think you can't strip the captaincy without trading a player, look no further than Patrick Marleau, Patrik Elias, and Milan Hejduk, the latter of which actually gave up the captaincy. Also, if Dion is a good leader like the players say he is, then a 'C' on your chest isn't going to change that.

Leave the top line in tacked:

There is no point in completely going nutso here. This line has been arguably top 5 line all season, and while people may like to get on Kessel for his latest struggles, he is not the issue here. Our 2nd line scoring needs to step up and not rely on Phil game-in, game-out.

Revamp Scouting staff:

Seriously when was the last time Leafs drafted a diamond in the rough? Kaberle? You would think that a team like the Leafs with the money that they have, restricted by a cap system, would apply those funds towards a stellar scouting staff. Let's poach staff from Detroit, Chicago, San Jose and St. Louis.

Trade Franson, acquire a top-4, minute eating d-man:

Let's be honest here, while everyone here loves to crap on Dion Phaneuf, who do you put out there when you are trying to defend a lead or a last minute surge?

In my opinion, we don't have a dependable 2nd pairing that can relieve our top pairing. This is apparently evident when facing deep teams that have more than one line who can score. Dion and Gunner can only shutdown so many players. That is why this team needs someone who can log 15-20 steady, non-flashy minutes a night. The ideal scenario is to acquire a top 2 dman and place Gunnerson on the 2nd pairing with Reilly/Gardiner.

Trade Clarkson:

Admittedly, I was one of the few that liked the signing. It was what we needed, a heart-and-sole guy who will put everything on the line to win. The problem is that the pressure to perform, matched with the contract has been too much for him. I mean come on, the fans and media were labeling him as the next Wendel Clark. As a Leaf fan growing up, you can't honestly tell me that does not put a huge amount of pressure on him. It is my believe that Clarkson isn't a bad player, but rather trying to live up to the contract by doing too much. I'm not expecting a Clarkson who is dangling around d-men. I want a Clarkson who will crash and bang, stir up trouble and pot 15-20 goals a season. Leave the dangles to JVR and Kessel.

Now despite my willingness to trade him, I am still willing to give him another chance. Perhaps Clarkson after this season will assess what he needs to do and just do what he needs to do. Also we have seen players bounce back in their 2nd years after signing a big contract.

Also, for those who will say "but his contract make's him untradeable". If Shawn Horcoff can be traded, so too can Clarkson.

Re-sign Bolland to a 1-year deal:

Bolland is one of those guys we need on this team. He's a guy that knows what it takes to win and knows his role on it. With that said, his injury history should not be ignored and we still do not know exactly how his latest injury has effected him. I would be willing to sign him to a 1 year deal at 5 mil if that is what it takes.

Make a splash:

Now this could be tied to a deal for a top pairing d-man, but I feel the Leafs management need to show that they mean business. I would look to package some of the following in Lupul, Kadri, perhaps prospects in exchange for a legit top six foward who can not only score, but can be responsible in his own end. Essentially we need a 2nd line that can score but is not a liability. Of course I would also consider moving Gardiner + for a top 2 d-man.

Re-sign Raymond and Kulemin if deal is right:

I would look to resign these guys, only if the deals make sense. If they want too much, then let them walk.

Release/Trade McClement, Orr, McLaren:

At this point we have enough young players that could fill the roles, while being cheaper. Smith, Holland, Bodie, D'Amigo, Ashton are all guys who could be placed in a third or fourth line role. Not to mention everyone of these guys would be more effective than all three.

Trade Reimer/Acquire veteran backup:

It's clear that Reimer does not want to be a backup for the Leafs, nor do I see the commitment/mental focus there to be one . I see no point in continuing this next season. Bernier is the obvious starter and what this team needs is a goaltender that knows his role but at the same time can fill in if the chance arises. Emery and Elliott would be ideal choices, but perhaps MacIntyre could be an option if all else fails.

Projected lines if I had my way:

Good post overall, lots of good points but I think it would be really stupid to trade Kadri or Gardiner at this point. Brian Hayes (I think thats his name) on leafs lunch said it best; "The team needs to look into dumping guys like Franson, Lupul or Dion, because they are not going to be getting better. These guys are veterans, they are diminishing assets that obviously cannot get the job done. Guys like Kadri and Gardiner have the ability and talent to get better, they just need to be surrounded by the right support staff, not a bunch of perennial losers."

Obviously im paraphrasing there, but the point is, unless Kadri/Gardiner are going for similar aged players, trading them is a bad idea. When you retool the idea is to get younger and all trading these guys for more established players does is raise the age of our core (a core that can't even make the playoffs). Trim the fat from this team, trade away Lupul and Franson and replace them with younger guys with a better attitude and you'l start to see the demeanor of the entire team shift.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014

Is Willie Mitchell Retiring/retired yet? That's the type of guy we need.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I agree with you but with Dion. His reputation for clutch failure is maybe to big now. How do you keep this guy? Honestly, how do you keep him as of right now?

Because you just committed to him, like it or not. I don't mean to be harsh here but most of this fan base it to dumb to understand this concept. You can't start dumping players that you just signed/ committed to, it makes the organization look awful. You don't go around trading guys who committed to your team, especially when he isn't even close to the biggest problem on this team (not a fan of his leadership personally, but the only way to replace that is through draft and development).

Listen folks, there is an amazingly high chance (99.6% :nod:) Dion does not go anywhere. What the hell do you guys expect from him when the entire team can't play defense? Carlyle and his out of date system has to go, and Franson needs to be swapped with a top 4 stay at home defender to eat minutes. Do this, with a better system in place and I guarantee this team will look completely different.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
There are a few things you can directly point at and say that they influenced this.

Carlyle*
Franson
Dion
Clarkson
Raymond for not being a team player

I swear if those players are not on the ice this team has a chance.

Hate to say this (because I like him), but Reimer needs to take his share of the blame. His poor play during the first part of this free-fall was a massive blow.

With a healthy Bernier in net, there's no way we lost eight straight or find ourselves in the position we're in now. (We're probably still battling for a wild card, but we'd still be in the picture, at least).

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Personally, I think it's kinda harsh to include the game 7 collapse as a data point. The team played fundamentally better hockey last year than they did at almost any point this year. Speed, hitting, aggressive forecheck. Therein lies the key to the way forward, imo.

Yeah it might be unfair to include that loss especially as they were a young team making the first playoff appearance in ages so they didn't have any experience in that situation.

Unlike the vast majority here, I don't think the core is rotten. But management needs to figure out whether the difference from last year has to do with the personnel or the coaching or some combination of the both and then make the necessary changes.

I think the core is rotten - and that core has failed under two different coaches.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Hate to say this (because I like him), but Reimer needs to take his share of the blame. His poor play during the first part of this free-fall was a massive blow.

With a healthy Bernier in net, there's no way we lost eight straight or find ourselves in the position we're in now. (We're probably still battling for a wild card, but we'd still be in the picture, at least).

They have a healthy Bernier in net and it isn't helping them is it?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah it might be unfair to include that loss especially as they were a young team making the first playoff appearance in ages so they didn't have any experience in that situation.

I think the core is rotten - and that core has failed under two different coaches.

The core was so young under Wilson though. Also, no Bernier, no JVR, young Gardiner, a etc ****tier Bozak. Neither of our coaches have had a solid system either, look at how well Beauchamin played when he left Toronto.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I am afraid it is gonna be at least another year of mediocrity as far as acquisitions, and then get Stamkos. Not sure what to do with this mess at this point honestly, but I do believe he may be part of the long term solution.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I am afraid it is gonna be at least another year of mediocrity as far as acquisitions, and then get Stamkos. Not sure what to do with this mess at this point honestly, but I do believe he may be part of the long term solution.

Stamkos is not coming to Toronto, neither is Tavares. You can't count on anything like that happening to fix your organizations problems lol.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Stamkos is not coming to Toronto, neither is Tavares. You can't count on anything like that happening to fix your organizations problems lol.[/QUOTE

I don't know, anything is possible really. Not sure how you are so certain that this can't happen, but if it did it would be the one thing that might turn this crap barge around...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You guys aren't done yet. It's close, but you're not done.

I think we are done with Randy Carlyle. I want to see the team finish pretty much coaching themselves and see if they have it within themselves to pull off the impossible.

That's my character test. Even if they come close it's positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad