Leafs GM Kyle Dubas pledges assistance in NHL investigation of alleged slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There is a huge diffrence between saying something playing a game to your peers and saying something while trying to run someone over with a car hahaha. I Can't believe this has to be explained.
My friend broke down and got hysterical a few months later because someone called her black. You'd call that an extremely silly word to get insulted over, but to her it basically invoked PTSD. In her mind, just the fact that he made her color a thing made her terrified of something like that happening again. And it's ignorant to think that there's not a whole lot of that kind of threat and trauma for people who are homosexual or people of color. That's why things like that are never "silly words."

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
the fact that once Paquette or whomever is going into the corner you can hear somebody yell "rag rag rag" after is starting to convince me that Flintor might be on to something here.

Before today I've never even heard of the phrase and especially never heard it used in hockey.

Pretty common in Southern/Midwestern Ontario competitive hockey. So much so that if I heard that clip it would be my first assumption and a possible slur wouldn't even register

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
My friend broke down and got hysterical a few months later because someone called her black. You'd call that an extremely silly word to get insulted over, but to her it basically invoked PTSD. In her mind, just the fact that he made her color a thing made her terrified of something like that happening again. And it's ignorant to think that there's not a whole lot of that kind of threat and trauma for people who are homosexual or people of color. That's why things like that are never "silly words."
Really? Yikes... Guess what, everyone deals with slurs or generalizations growing up, look at the current war on White Males, being called evil. It sucks that somehow her brain links the two things together, but to be honest the only way of getting over something like that is running towards it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Who cares, heat of the moment, people say stupid crap. It's freaking words, people actually are so afraid of words, opinions and make a big deal out of everything. Not getting caught up or aiding the collapse of civilization.

Apologize to the ref and move on. If the league wants to fine him 10k to charity or whatever, fine whatever.

Stupid word police can die in a fire for all I care. It's getting nutty.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This would be something completely different.

Why? Because it's a forbidden word? Because it's a particular sub-group of the population? I'm sure you've uttered something amongst those words you've regretted that directly or indirectly marginalized another sub-group of the population. Should you be suspended or fired from your job? Should you have swarms of media narcissists surrounding you, harassing you and your family for the next few weeks? Should you be un-personed? Be better than a member of a mob.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really? Yikes... Guess what, everyone deals with slurs or generalizations growing up, look at the current war on White Males, being called evil. It sucks that somehow her brain links the two things together, but to be honest the only way of getting over something like that is running towards it.
Really? You're going there?

Jesus, I thought you Swedes lived in happy rainbow land, that sounds like gangland Chicago instead

There's **** people in the world but I do think we need to differentiate between a word said in the heat of the moment and physical violence, or a serious targeting of LGBT+ individuals
I've lived an odd life, to be honest.

I think most can differentiate. But it's so much easier for us to not go there than it is for people with past traumas to ignore it.

Reactions: Kiwi

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Someone who wants a player to kill some time with the puck on a penalty kill?

Haha exactly. When you add up-

It sounds like an R, not an F
The context makes perfect sense for a PK'r to be given those instructions
It differs majorly in tone, volume, and clarity from Morgan's muffled outburst

You get a whole lot of non-story

Reactions: HR Pickens

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm amazed that so many people seem to think that "heat of the moment" is an excuse for saying anything. What year is this?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Full stop. Is she black? I mean, I'm black, and if someone called me black, it would moreso serve as an indicator that they were not blind.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sure, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it either.

I think you should be allowed to say anything as long as your not advocating for physical violence or shouting fire in a theater though so I'm an extreme outlier in this sort of stuff

Reactions: dsred

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017

Definitely seems like someone is sayin "rag it" on Tampa's bench. Right afterwards you hear someone say "rag" 3 times.

Come on, it is clear as day. He did not get the call, looked over at the ref and calls him a f'n fa####. It happens, it's happens, say sorry and move on. Much, much worse thing have been said on the ice. Do not even ask what Avery said to George Laraque on the ice (MacTavish confronted him about it on his team's bus)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why? Because it's a forbidden word? Because it's a particular sub-group of the population? I'm sure you've uttered something amongst those words you've regretted that directly or indirectly marginalized another sub-group of the population. Should you be suspended or fired from your job? Should you have swarms of media narcissists surrounding you, harassing you and your family for the next few weeks? Should you be un-personed? Be better than a member of a mob.
There's those that understand traumatic experience, and those that don't. There's apparently also those that don't who seem to think that makes them superior.

Full stop. Is she black? I mean, I'm black, and if someone called me black, it would moreso serve as an indicator that they were not blind.
I'm glad you didn't. But you are missing the point. She had just had someone try to maim her for her ethnicity, and it made that an incredibly sensitive point while she was working through her PTSD.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017

I think most can differentiate. But it's so much easier for us to not go there than it is for people with past traumas to ignore it.
Ok, I guess it is better to always be a victim. I guarantee I have been through much worse and overcoming it made me a much more powerful person. If you are going to shake and have a panic attack when someone refers to you as Black you are going to have a rough life.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Sure people can be nicer but it's only offensive if you take offense at the end of the day

I think the English cricket captain said it best, he had that same slur thrown at him during a game recently and just said there's nothing wrong with being gay

No offense taken and made the guy who said it look like a gigantic idiot, that's how I think you stop it

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

We've all seen this:

2 toddlers, 2 mothers. The first toddlers tries running across the room, falls down, looks over to the mother who motions to the child to get up and come over to her. There is no crying or drama. The second toddler does the same thing, looks up and the mother rushes over full of motherly concern. The child bursts out with hysterical crying. Which toddler does better in life?

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad