Leafs GM Kyle Dubas pledges assistance in NHL investigation of alleged slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll have to wait and see what the final determination is. I'm not going to take initial Toronto media interpretations of a super vague video as clear proof that Rielly said the slur (I personally don't think it sounds like him in the video).

If Rielly did actually say it, he'll need to make a public apology. This is a guy most of us consider a top candidate for the captaincy, and you can't have that type of terminology coming from him. If he didn't say anything like that though, the media that initially jumped on the Rielly witch hunt should apologize (not that they would).

Agreed on all points.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, and he got two games.

It would be a bit naive to believe it was isolated to these incidents. The kind of things that get said on the ice, or on the court, or on the football field would cause people's heads to spin.

Football is really bad. Any player with a perceived weakness gets absolutely destroyed on the football field.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Sigh

This is becoming a thoroughly unejoyable season, despite the relative placement of the team.

The bull**** circus around the team continues.

Anyways, two people need to be asked what happened. Its pretty simple.

I feel the same way.
Leafs are having a fantastic year and the focus has been contracts, offer sheets, petty Islanders fans, and now this stuff.
If he said it he the team will deal with it and we'll move on, but in the meantime if he misses a game or two the D core of those games wouldn't give the Marlies a game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It is hard. All manner of things get said in the heat of battle. But it is also indicative. If you honestly don't think that homophobia is an insult, or if you think that race isn't something to attack, your mind doesn't go there to begin with.

Either way, from what I've heard this is a misunderstanding. It really does not seem like Rielly.

Can't agree with you on that one Nithoniniel

In the heat of battle your looking to say something that's going to piss somebody off the most and think that will work you can say it even if you don't believe it

Not smart I'll admit but it can happen

I'm not saying Rielly said that either, it's a hypothetical

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

In the heat of battle your looking to say something that's going to piss somebody off the most and think that will work you can say it even if you don't believe it

Um yeah, I don't think so. In the heat of the battle, you don't think hmm, what can I say here that will piss the guy off, you say what comes naturally and it sure as s..t won't be the first time you said it, whatever it is.

Reactions: Schooner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After watching it, it’s pretty clear it was two different people saying the “f***” and the second part. In fact, the second part cuts off the “ing” in the f***ing.

It’s also much louder, which means the second part came from the bench, and not Rielly.

Whether the second part is “Rag It” I’m not sure.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
So confused that 'rag the puck' is apparently not a universal hockey term (or at least is very outdated now?)

Anyway, hopefully/presumably can be sorted by a conversation with the ref given he was right there and/or a Tampa player clarifying that 'rag it' is a term they use... disappointing if Rielly said it, but that's not how the audio plays to me at least.

Reactions: 4thline

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Um yeah, I don't think so. In the heat of the battle, you don't think hmm, what can I say here that will piss the guy off, you say what comes naturally and it sure as s..t won't be the first time you said it, whatever it is.
bad mistake that's all
but that being said its intolerable in any workplace

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Can only really speak for myself. I had someone slap a friend of mine for rejecting him recently, and I went at him pretty bad. Never crossed my mind to attack race or sexuality.

I get your point though. If something can be seen as insulting, you use it. It just feels wrong to me. I'd feel twice as disgusted by myself as he feels insulted, most likely.

People are way too sensitive. Anyone who takes offense to a silly word needs to grow a spine.
Anyone who thinks this is just a silly word needs to read up. I have a friend who got beaten up for being gay. Another got chased by a car by people screaming "ni***r wh**e". If you live with that as a threat, it's not just a silly word.

Edit: Man, this post makes it sound like there's all kinds of drama in my life.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
After watching it, it’s pretty clear it was two different people saying the “****” and the second part. In fact, the second part cuts off the “ing” in the ****ing.

It’s also much louder, which means the second part came from the bench, and not Rielly.

Yeah I'm hesitant to say anything with certainty but it certainly did sound like exactly what you say. Hopefully this gets cleared up really soon.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
The alleged context doesn't make much sense, he'd have to be irate to just yell that at the ref and has never appeared to have problems with self control.

Virture signaling is what Dubas is best at when it comes to running the Leafs, so i'm sure he'll have Morgan riding a float in the next pride parade even if he didn't do it.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You just say something that's going to get you the reaction you want

That's why people call leftists commies and everybody else Nazis even though it's complete bull**** and everybody knows it

Can only really speak for myself. I had someone slap a friend of mine for rejecting him recently, and I went at him pretty bad. Never crossed my mind to attack race or sexuality.

I get your point though. If something can be seen as insulting, you use it. It just feels wrong to me. I'd feel twice as disgusted by myself as he feels insulted, most likely.

Personally I don't care about race, sex, Creed or who you want to sleep with but it's a very easy way to really piss somebody off in the heat of the moment without prior thought

If he did it (which I don't know he did) i think it's ******* stupid but I certainly wouldn't say it's a sign of underlining homophobia on his part

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t think Rielly has any phobia towards homosexuals, but still he can’t use that term on the ice.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You've NEVER said something you shouldn't have said and regretted saying?
Many times. I dwell on things I say way too easily. But being stupid, insensitive, or insulting is one thing. This would be something completely different.

Personally I don't care about race, sex, Creed or who you want to sleep with but it's a very easy way to really piss somebody off in the heat of the moment without prior thought

If he did it (which I don't know he did) i think it's ******* stupid but I certainly wouldn't say it's a sign of underlining homophobia on his part
Yeah that wasn't really what I meant either to be honest. It's more about not being aware of how different that can be from a normal insult.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You just say something that's going to get you the reaction you want

That's why people call leftists commies and everybody else Nazis even though it's complete bull**** and everybody knows it

AIl I said was that in the heat of the moment, you don't think, you just react.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After watching it, it’s pretty clear it was two different people saying the “****” and the second part. In fact, the second part cuts off the “ing” in the ****ing.

Also, the fact that Rielly was only a few feet from the Ref, and the Ref had ZERO reaction is another sign Rielly didn’t say the slur.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
All about nothing. Instead of talking about how this team quit yesterday we are talking about a phantom slur.

Nothing comes of this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Anyone who thinks this is just a silly word needs to read up. I have a friend who got beaten up for being gay. Another got chased by a car by people screaming "ni***r wh**e". If you live with that as a threat, it's not just a silly word.

Yeah I was gonna say something but couldn't think of what to say. What do you say to someone who seriously believes that words don't matter? :(

You mean there isn't? :DD

Reactions: Nithoniniel

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

There is a huge diffrence between saying something playing a game to your peers and saying something while trying to run someone over with a car hahaha. I Can't believe this has to be explained.

Reactions: JustAShadow

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Many times. I dwell on things I say way too easily. But being stupid, insensitive, or insulting is one thing. This would be something completely different.

If it has been said and you have heard it it is in your brain.

That's why I take exception to songs / music that have those words in them. Or the those who think because they are part of a group that they can opening say those words that no one else can.

Had an occasion after a soccer game where a parent of the other team came in and accused our team of using one of those words and it was the first time many of the young kids had ever heard the word. That parent planted that word in these young kids mind. Some people have to look in the mirror and ask if they're perpetuating the situation or actually trying to correct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->