Leafs GM Kyle Dubas pledges assistance in NHL investigation of alleged slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If true, how hard is it to keep yourself in check and not go over the line? Even if you're seething mad, you have to keep control of yourself. It's easy to say, I guess

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Flintor on twitter has analysed the audio and Morgan didn't say anything of the sort! I know he wouldn't do that!
:handclap:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We'll have to wait and see what the final determination is. I'm not going to take initial Toronto media interpretations of a super vague video as clear proof that Rielly said the slur (I personally don't think it sounds like him in the video).

If Rielly did actually say it, he'll need to make a public apology. This is a guy most of us consider a top candidate for the captaincy, and you can't have that type of terminology coming from him. If he didn't say anything like that though, the media that initially jumped on the Rielly witch hunt should apologize (not that they would).

Reactions: yubbers

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Poor choice of words by Morg. Probably could have said effin A-hole and we wouldn't be talking suspension

PeterPuck101

Feb 12, 2019
If true, how hard is it to keep yourself in check and not go over the line? Even if you're seething mad, you have to keep control of yourself. It's easy to say, I guess
Maybe Reilly needs to take some anger management classes. Seriously if this did happen it's not a good look on Reilly and the Leafs.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
IF he said it, the right thing to do is come out and take responsibility, apologize, take your game suspension and move on.

PeterPuck101

Feb 12, 2019
Meh. Kobe got a $100,000 fine when cameras caught him saying it (also to a referee).

Set a fine or make a donation, and move it along.
Didn't Pillar of the Jays say something similar to a player a few years ago? I believe he was fined and/or suspended. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's with Toronto professional players and homophobic slurs?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Poor choice of words by Morg. Probably could have said effin A-hole and we wouldn't be talking suspension

Yup. Live and learn and say the "right thing" next time. :laugh::laugh:

IF he said it, the right thing to do is come out and take responsibility, apologize, take your game suspension and move on.

Meh. Kobe got a $100,000 fine when cameras caught him saying it (also to a referee).

Set a fine or make a donation, and move it along.

Yup. Two games would be my guess. Or maybe it wasn't ever him, it certainly sounds like it might not have been. I hope it was someone on TB's bench, like say mebbe Kucherov. ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Didn't Pillar of the Jays say something similar to a player a few years ago? I believe he was fined and/or suspended. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's with Toronto professional players and homophobic slurs?

Yeah they were talking about it on the radio today, I think the Jays suspended him on their own (2 games), the league decided no further action was required and Pillar also did some community service, talked about it to kids and so on. I was sleepy this morning so I'm not 100% sure I got it all right but I think that's what it was.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't care but unfortunately if the non-sports media social saboteurs run with this, look out. There are evil people who delight in doling out disproportionate punishment. They're the same types who have gleefully burned people alive. Those people still walk among us.

Reactions: dsred

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Yeah, and he got two games.

It would be a bit naive to believe it was isolated to these incidents. The kind of things that get said on the ice, or on the court, or on the football field would cause people's heads to spin.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Open to read the whole thread

Unless the audio has been manipulated it's pretty clear that this is a non-story.

Unlike the casuals on this (mainly the main) board people in the league will have no trouble connecting the dots to a player chasing a lose puck without serious back pressure with a big lead being told to kill the clock

Last edited by a moderator:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sigh

This is becoming a thoroughly unejoyable season, despite the relative placement of the team.

The bullshit circus around the team continues.

Anyways, two people need to be asked what happened. Its pretty simple.

Reactions: TakeTheBody

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Last I looked people were given the presumption of innocence and due process in matters like this

Or am I wrong?

If he did do it (which hasn't been proven as of yet) i'd imagine he's going to get a suspension and fine

I'd imagine with the usual pointless press conference where people can show some outrage then forget about this in a week or so

So I don't give a rats ass

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Unless the audio has been manipulated it's pretty clear that this is a non-story.

Unlike the casuals on this (mainly the main) board people in the league will have no trouble connecting the dots to a player chasing a lose puck without serious back pressure with a big lead being told to kill the clock

It's the typical chance for people to get their dopamine fix by virtue signalling, it doesn't matter if anything has been conclusively proven yet. Rielly's reputation being sabotaged is a small price to pay for internet likes.

Reactions: dsred

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Definitely seems like someone is sayin "rag it" on Tampa's bench. Right afterwards you hear someone say "rag" 3 times.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is hard. All manner of things get said in the heat of battle. But it is also indicative. If you honestly don't think that homophobia is an insult, or if you think that race isn't something to attack, your mind doesn't go there to begin with.

Either way, from what I've heard this is a misunderstanding. It really does not seem like Rielly.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Open to read the whole thread

the fact that once Paquette or whomever is going into the corner you can hear somebody yell "rag rag rag" after is starting to convince me that Flintor might be on to something here.

Before today I've never even heard of the phrase and especially never heard it used in hockey. Pretty clear the Ref needs to be questioned, and hopefully if a player did say "rag it" or whatever, hell pop up and say "hey that was me".

If not, bad, bad look on Mo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
the fact that once Paquette or whomever is going into the corner you can hear somebody yell "rag rag rag" after is starting to convince me that Flintor might be on to something here.

Before today I've never even heard of the phrase and especially never heard it used in hockey. Pretty clear the Ref needs to be questioned, and hopefully if a player did say "rag it" or whatever, hell pop up and say "hey that was me".

I've never heard it before either but the sources I found online are all at least a few years old, not even including the Ken Dryden excerpts. so it's not like a few people posted them last night as a quick cover for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad