Leafs getting something from the nhl?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Playing each of the Original 6 in outdoor games would actually be pretty awesome. There's already been rumours for the Wings and Rangers, maybe that's why insiders have said both at different times, because the Leafs will be playing both.

Would be pretty awesome to see. Have a different jersey each time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Never got the hate for outdoor games - I actually like them quite a bit.

They're more visually stimulating when watching at home.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
me either. i really liked the ones i've seen.

well, lets look at this with a little bit of depth. (Now this is how I understand it, as best as I know.)

for those that don't know

the gate receipts are handled very differently from a indoor games compared to a out door game

The home team gets:

: John Collins, the NHL’s chief operating officer, said the wild success of Philadelphia’s game amounts to a new phenomenon. The NHL takes over management of the main Winter Classic matchup, handing over to the host club the equivalent of the money raised from a sold-out home game

The NHL war chest (owners) skim off ALL the gravy on top

now if this is any indicator :

the average cost of a ticket at last year's winter classic was about $500, the highest rate in five years (the cheapest ticket listed at $268). As of December 3, the cheapest ticket on StubHub for the 2015 Winter Classic is $215, with club seats going for as much as $2800. Gillette Stadium holds about 25,000 more people that Washington, DC's Nationals Park (where it was held in 2015), so the NHL is poised to make much more money.

Of what those 5 games would cost here to attend

Ummm yup, maybe I revise my prediction upon further review

NHL proper sinks it's greedy teeth into the GTA cash cow(again) and gets 5 bowls of gravy, all the while trying to shill us the "here is your 100th gift"

Yup!!!!!!!! that sounds totally betmen in my books.:nod:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The leafs aren't getting anything, it's pretty clear. ASG, draft, winter classic, heritage classic have all already been given to other teams. Daly/Bettman are a joke. Edmonton in the heritage classic vs Winnipeg now.......ok ?

sure they are, they're getting the shaft

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Since it's being reported that Toronto is hosting an outdoor game on January 1, 2017 at least Winnipeg is not the only Canadian team hosting an outdoor game next season.

Ottawa wants one I think Dec 19,2017 to replicate the first NHL game between Ottawa and Montreal on the same date 100 years later.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The NHL is appointing me as the new president and CEO

Or the NHL's first day of the regular season has been renamed from "Game On" to "Toronto Maple Leafs appreciation day"

Or NHL invokes world's first "Ontario boys comin' home" clause allowing for all Ontario born players to cancel their current contracts and sign with the Leafs on July 1, 2016

Just give us an Ontario exclusivity clause similar to Montreal's old one for a period of time.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This would be interesting, (and also only 5 games) but like you said, a tad unrealistic.

However, if any market could host that many, it would be Toronto.

- Toronto-Boston [Season Opener]
- Toronto-Detroit [New Years Day]
- Toronto-Montreal [Hockey Day In Canada]
- Toronto-Chicago [Trade Deadline Day LOL - Enter Random Date]
- Toronto-Rangers [Season Closer]

I think the cost of keeping the ice going would be high. Plus wouldn't the Argos and TFC still be playing in October.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Playing each of the Original 6 in outdoor games would actually be pretty awesome. There's already been rumours for the Wings and Rangers, maybe that's why insiders have said both at different times, because the Leafs will be playing both.

Would be pretty awesome to see. Have a different jersey each time.

Wasn't a fan of the outdoor games, they just appeared slower and the games dragged on.

That being said 5 outdoor games a BMO would be freakin awesome. I know it makes no sense but it would be awesome.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the cost of keeping the ice going would be high. Plus wouldn't the Argos and TFC still be playing in October.
I highly doubt the Leafs are playing more than 1 outdoor game at BMO Field next season. However let's say they were the only way I can see it happening if they play consecutive ones back to back starting on January 1, 2017. That way it won't interfere with any TFC and Argos games.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What's so awesome about 5 outdoor games? It becomes such overkill.

What overkill, is 41 home games a year overkill? It's different it will only happen once. 30,000 plus fans. If 5 outdoor games are overkill what are the remaining 36 indoor games?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The NHL should be on it's knees asking Toronto what it wants.
We've propped up half of the league for long enough.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
probably getting a 100th anniversary congratulations cake.

100th-cake-3017626.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad