Leafs getting something from the nhl?

snizzbone*

We'll probably end up with the World Cup of Hockey (which is a big money grab sent here to drain the biggest hockey market of $$$ to support the league elsewhere) and a stadium series type of outdoor game instead of the actual winter classic.

What else is there?

The World Cup was already announced to be in Toronto months ago.

6 outdoor games next year at BMO Field? Versus each Original 6 team? Wear different jerseys for each one. Unrealistic but that would be sick imo.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Gary Bettman announces:

"Your gonna wanna hear this Toronto, Auston Mathews is yours and you can sign all the UFA's you want - I've unilaterally scrapped the lottery, the cap, and I'm moving Florida to Kitchener/Waterloo and Arizona to Quebec City"

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The leafs aren't getting anything, it's pretty clear. ASG, draft, winter classic, heritage classic have all already been given to other teams. Daly/Bettman are a joke. Edmonton in the heritage classic vs Winnipeg now.......ok ?

leafygoods

Defending Champs
Aug 12, 2009
Halifax
The leafs will celebrate their 100th year of existence next year, it being 2017, with jerseys and ceremonies and whatnot. My guess is the following years 2017-2018 the leafs will be honoured by the NHL as it is their 100th season. It will also be the 100th NHL season (excluding lockouts) so I imagine the two will do a lot of things together with that in mind.

It would be nice for us to get everything, but I imagine the leafs brass will be happy to use next year to honour itself with jerseys and ceremonies, and also have another year to build it's team into something special for their actual 100th season. The team was founded November 22nd 1917 therefore they will be celebrated in the season that date falls.

I do really like that idea of a 5 game outdoor series vs the original 6 teams though that sounds damn cool.
Just my 2 cents.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The leafs aren't getting anything, it's pretty clear. ASG, draft, winter classic, heritage classic have all already been given to other teams. Daly/Bettman are a joke. Edmonton in the heritage classic vs Winnipeg now.......ok ?
Since it's being reported that Toronto is hosting an outdoor game on January 1, 2017 at least Winnipeg is not the only Canadian team hosting an outdoor game next season.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Just waive the lottery for the first overall pick and give it to us so we can get Matthews.

After that they can give anything they want to those small American markets.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The leafs will celebrate their 100th year of existence next year, it being 2017, with jerseys and ceremonies and whatnot. My guess is the following years 2017-2018 the leafs will be honoured by the NHL as it is their 100th season. It will also be the 100th NHL season (excluding lockouts) so I imagine the two will do a lot of things together with that in mind.

It would be nice for us to get everything, but I imagine the leafs brass will be happy to use next year to honour itself with jerseys and ceremonies, and also have another year to build it's team into something special for their actual 100th season. The team was founded November 22nd 1917 therefore they will be celebrated in the season that date falls.

I do really like that idea of a 5 game outdoor series vs the original 6 teams though that sounds damn cool.
Just my 2 cents.
Even if Toronto does celebrate their 100th anniversary over 2 seasons like Montreal did there is still a major difference between them. It's that Montreal was given the All Star Game and draft in 2009 which was their first season of celebrating. If Toronto was given both events in 2018 doesn't it defeat the purpose of not celebrating their centennial a lot earlier? I know there is that excuse of Los Angeles, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia celebrating 50 year next season, however the Leafs 100th anniversary should have still had more priority over those teams.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
The World Cup was already announced to be in Toronto months ago.

6 outdoor games next year at BMO Field? Versus each Original 6 team? Wear different jerseys for each one. Unrealistic but that would be sick imo.

I think you nailed it.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
"We are reversing Kerry Fraser's non-call and will re-play game 7 between the Leafs and the Kings. Current rosters to be used."

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

This would be interesting, (and also only 5 games) but like you said, a tad unrealistic.

However, if any market could host that many, it would be Toronto.

- Toronto-Boston [Season Opener]
- Toronto-Detroit [New Years Day]
- Toronto-Montreal [Hockey Day In Canada]
- Toronto-Chicago [Trade Deadline Day LOL - Enter Random Date]
- Toronto-Rangers [Season Closer]

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
They have decided to celebrate our Centennial in 2027 as the franchise only started using the Maple Leafs name in 1927.

That way we don't have to share our special year with a bunch of 50 year teams.

snizzbone*

This would be interesting, (and also only 5 games) but like you said, a tad unrealistic.

However, if any market could host that many, it would be Toronto.

- Toronto-Boston [Season Opener]
- Toronto-Detroit [New Years Day]
- Toronto-Montreal [Hockey Day In Canada]
- Toronto-Chicago [Trade Deadline Day LOL - Enter Random Date]
- Toronto-Rangers [Season Closer]

I was thinking more along the lines of having all the games in a short time period. Make the rink on BMO and keep it there for awhile.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
better hope its cold out, it seems like these winter classics and out door games are becoming more unpredictable. I have seen countless games where it almost seems that the teams are playing at 50% due to ice issues. whenever I watch one I cant help but watch there skates, waitng for a ankle to snap.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
How many out door games have been played so far in the NHL?

By the time they get to our turn, how many have been played?

Out door games are hosted all over the place and for no special reason I might add

Us finally getting one and that is supposed to be the big 100th celebration gift?

HA giga byte me, not impressed.

There is only 1 logical saving grace here and that is

the 2017/18 season will be the one PRd and rewarded as our Centy and we get it ALL

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Maple Leafs will host an Original 6 showdown.

Maple Leafs vs Canadiens (Home Opener - Large Event night)
Maple Leafs vs Redwings (Outdoor Classic -BMO)
Maple Leafs vs Rangers (Outdoor Classic - BMO)
Maple Leafs vs Blackhawks (Stadium game - Rogers)
Maple Leafs vs Bruins (Stadium - Rogers)

The events will include some of the biggest music performers and personalities. The series of games will be played out over the course of the year.

Just being funny - Can see something overboard in regards to what they actually announce.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How many out door games have been played so far in the NHL?

By the time they get to our turn, how many have been played?

Out door games are hosted all over the place and for no special reason I might add

Us finally getting one and that is supposed to be the big 100th celebration gift?

HA giga byte me, not impressed.

There is only 1 logical saving grace here and that is

the 2017/18 season will be the one PRd and rewarded as our Centy and we get it ALL

I agree with this. The leafs started Nov. 1917....which means the 2017-2018 season would be our proper centennial..I think we could get a lot more next season in collaboration with the nhl's 100th year

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Maple Leafs Centennial Classic Series. Five games at BMO against original six opponents. I like it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree with this. The leafs started Nov. 1917....which means the 2017-2018 season would be our proper centennial..I think we could get a lot more next season in collaboration with the nhl's 100th year

Well follow me here

because what is happening right now

makes absolutely no logical sense to me.

so here goes

2017/18 is PRd and acknowledged as our centy

Jan 1 2018 , the out door game

the all star game is also played in 2018 and

2018 draft

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Original 6 ; Overseas - as an NHL 100 year thing. (Preseason 2017-2018)

Maple Leafs vs Montreal - In Finland
Maple Leafs vs Detroit -In Sweden
Maple Leafs vs Boston -In England
Maple Leafs vs Chicago -In France
Maple Leafs vs. New York -In Germany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad