Post-Game Talk: Leafs Get Shutout 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
But no one has explained (unless I missed it) why that play was offside if the puck is on the line and not in the zone. Isnt the blue line considered in the zone?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We must not have been watching the same broadcast I clearly saw the puck in the net
How could you? Do you have x-ray eyes? The puck is in his glove which is closed. Do you know where it is in his glove? If his entire glove is in net then fine. But it wasn't. And the angle of camera is not directly on the goal line so your view was distorted by angles. There is no camera view from top of net straight down from crossbar down to the goal line. That is the only true way you could have measured that one. So it was a subjective call that went against Leafs in a tight game. Same thing last night we should have been tied 1-1.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
But no one has explained (unless I missed it) why that play was offside if the puck is on the line and not in the zone. Isnt the blue line considered in the zone?

The puck has to fully cross the line before anyone else can fully enter the zone. Same as when exiting, as long as the puck doesn't fully cross the line it's still considered onside.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How could you? Do you have x-ray eyes? The puck is in his glove which is closed. Do you know where it is in his glove? If his entire glove is in net then fine. But it wasn't. And the angle of camera is not directly on the goal line so your view was distorted by angles. There is no camera view from top of net straight down from crossbar down to the goal line. That is the only true way you could have measured that one. So it was a subjective call that went against Leafs in a tight game. Same thing last night we should have been tied 1-1.

Reactions: Loosie

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Much like the Kuch slapper goal. No one can tell me that you could know for sure that the puck crossed the goal line inside Freddy's glove. Again another Bettman special.

The NHL had a replay from inside the net, the puck was clearly over the line. They showed it on the broadcast after the review.

Edit: And it's right above this post thanks to Trawna Phan

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
An offside challenge should take no more than 10 seconds to analyze... If you have to look at the video for a minute, its too close to call and just nitpicking at that point... Hockey is a game of mistakes, and being offside by half a cm shouldn't matter... Additionally, Nylander wasn't even a factor in the goal...

If the NHL really cares about getting the call right, they should undergo significant technological advances. With technology where its at these days, the NHL could probably place sensors that detect when the pick crosses the line.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
It has to cross the line. General rule for any line in the NHL is that the puck needs to completely cross the line to be considered in that zone (icing, goal, center ice to negate icing, offside).

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The puck has to fully cross the line before anyone else can fully enter the zone. Same as when exiting, as long as the puck doesn't fully cross the line it's still considered onside.

So team is setup on the power play, Marner passes the puck to Reilly at the point he keeps it in with the puck on blueline. This is ok, still considered in the zone and not offside.

But yesterday's play had Johnsson with puck on stick on blue line entering zone, with Nylander's skate still on blueline at same time and this is offside when Nylander goes into the zone past blue line with puck sitting on blue line still?

How does that make any sense.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It has to cross the line. General rule for any line in the NHL is that the puck needs to completely cross the line to be considered in that zone (icing, goal, center ice to negate icing, offside).

Wrong icing line is non-existent anymore, refs call icing before the puck crosses the line these days.

And entering and exiting an offensive zone, offsides should be called the same. Blue line should be considered part of offensive zone as it is when you are already in it controlling the play.

Its stupid.

Thread The Needle

Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
So team is setup on the power play, Marner passes the puck to Reilly at the point he keeps it in with the puck on blueline. This is ok, still considered in the zone and not offside.

But yesterday's play had Johnsson with puck on stick on blue line entering zone, with Nylander's skate still on blueline at same time and this is offside when Nylander goes into the zone past blue line with puck sitting on blue line still?

The puck was still on the line while Nylander was across (space between Nylander and the line). If the puck was across the line while Nylander across it would've been onside.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

But Nylander had one skate fully inside the zone and one skate in the air before the puck crossed the line.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I just watched it again. The camera is attached/located on white back bar not on front crossbar. So the angle of your video clip is not straight up and down. We are looking at a slight angle. That is why crossbar does not completely cover the red line on the ice. And still it is not crystal clear to me. And again call on the ice was NO goal. Now it is really really close but I see no definitive proof to over turn call on ice.

Thread The Needle

Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Wrong icing line is non-existent anymore, refs call icing before the puck crosses the line these days.

And entering and exiting an offensive zone, offsides should be called the same. Blue line should be considered part of offensive zone as it is when you are already in it controlling the play.

Its stupid.
They are still supposed to call icing like that. I'm not wrong the linesmen are if they call icing before the puck even crosses the line like idiots they can be.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
But Nylander had one skate fully inside the zone and one skate in the air before the puck crossed the line.

It still doesn't make sense based on example I gave.

Marner passes puck to Reilly at the point in offensive zone on PP. Reilly handles the puck along the blueline with puck right on the blue line. Blue line is considered offensive zone in this instance with 4 other skaters (all their skates) in the offensive zone. This isn't off side.

But puck on blue line entering the zone and players entering at same time before puck fully is on white ice, the blue line isn't considered offensive zone.

Sorry rule still makes no sense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Now I saw 4 icings that should have been overturned as i thought it was bad calls. But if we start going up for video reviews of refs in really really hard to read tough calls all game long then fine lets get better cameras in the exact correct positions so ref subjectivity is completely out of the game. Otherwise lets not go changing results games like Tampa game and last nights game based on some NHL employees subjective review. Because both those games results were completely affected by both those over turned calls. Let the players/refs decide the games not some robot employee behind the scenes.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Its stupid.

it is called the same in both instances the puck must fully cross the blueline in order to be offside

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It still doesn't make sense based on example I gave.

Marner passes puck to Reilly at the point in offensive zone on PP. Reilly handles the puck along the blueline with puck right on the blue line. Blue line is considered offensive zone in this instance with 4 other skaters (all their skates) in the offensive zone. This isn't off side.

But puck on blue line entering the zone and players entering at same time before puck fully is on white ice, the blue line isn't considered offensive zone.

Sorry rule still makes no sense.
It does make sense you just can't seem to grasp it.

Reactions: mrbagina

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Post of the year!

Lol:rolleyes:

Obviously you have not been watching Willie and Moore. You might want to give a listen to what Carlo Colo, Marc Savard and the coach think of Willie's play. With Hyman coming out, Willie deserves to be the next to sit but we know that won't happen, but not because of his poor play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I think the rule should be changed that as soon as the puck breaks the plane of the blue line on the centre ice side of the line, it’s fair game. Same on the exit, the puck would have to fully cross the centre ice side.
The skaters without the puck shouldn’t need to straddle the line anymore. As long as any part of their body is not completely over the o zone side of the blue line then they are on side. Some have said to include the stick as part of the body.

Anyway it’s crazy trying to make that call at the current speed and ability of the players.

Anyway, based on current rules, they got right last night.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
thats the most annoying part to me, was it not 25ish seconds after the "offside" that the goal went in?
It happens and they got the call right.
Luckily I can't think of other times this has gone against the Leafs.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
thats the most annoying part to me, was it not 25ish seconds after the "offside" that the goal went in?

Yup... and in a league that likes scoring, and wants to increase it... its ridiculous that Matthews' goal didn't count.

And honestly, I'm not saying this because it affected the leafs.... I've always maintained that a fraction of a inch offside is still within the 'spirit of the rule'....

The offside challnege was introduced for obvious offsides...

Reactions: robertmac43

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
making inaccurate negative claims doesn't make you a voice of reason unfortunately

Call it like I see it. If he plays good, I will defend him, if he mails it in I will call him out. If he competes and shows urgency next game and goes -2, so be it. If he plays like last night, I will say it. Listen to what Carlo Colo said about him this morning. For an ex-player to come out and criticise him says a lot.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/colaiacovo-very-concerned-about-nylander-s-recent-play~1581068

Reactions: mrbagina
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad