Post-Game Talk: Leafs Get Shutout 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It still doesn't make sense based on example I gave.

Marner passes puck to Reilly at the point in offensive zone on PP. Reilly handles the puck along the blueline with puck right on the blue line. Blue line is considered offensive zone in this instance with 4 other skaters (all their skates) in the offensive zone. This isn't off side.

But puck on blue line entering the zone and players entering at same time before puck fully is on white ice, the blue line isn't considered offensive zone.

Sorry rule still makes no sense.

It’s been 12 inches wide for that reason. I agree it should be changed. See my post above.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
So team is setup on the power play, Marner passes the puck to Reilly at the point he keeps it in with the puck on blueline. This is ok, still considered in the zone and not offside.

But yesterday's play had Johnsson with puck on stick on blue line entering zone, with Nylander's skate still on blueline at same time and this is offside when Nylander goes into the zone past blue line with puck sitting on blue line still?

How does that make any sense.
When the puck was on the blueline, the puck was not "completely" in/out the zone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think the rule should be changed that as soon as the puck breaks the plane of the blue line on the centre ice side of the line, it’s fair game. Same on the exit, the puck would have to fully cross the centre ice side.
The skaters without the puck shouldn’t need to straddle the line anymore. As long as any part of their body is not completely over the o zone side of the blue line then they are on side. Some have said to include the stick as part of the body.

Anyway it’s crazy trying to make that call at the current speed and ability of the players.

Anyway, based on current rules, they got right last night.
You still need to see the puck. I have not seen a video that even shows the puck. I see the stick but not the puck. The NHL is overturning based on probable assumptions. It may have been offside no doubt but maybe not because no one saw the puck on the stick. The only one that even could of was linesmen on that side of the ice. Anyways I believe you let the refs ref game like it always has been. In years past the Kucherov shot would have been deemed a save and last nights goal would have stayed a goal. The games should not be decided by some tweeting employess behind a computer screen making probability assumptions.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Leafs need to learn to adapt on the fly. The PP was evidence of that. You can't keep doing the same over and over again, other teams are going to adapt and take away the time and space for the Leafs.
Don't know; when Mike was coaching the RW, people prasied RW never changed the game plan. You could not tell RW was falling behind or leading the score :popcorn:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You still need to see the puck. I have not seen a video that even shows the puck. I see the stick but not the puck. The NHL is overturning based on probable assumptions. It may have been offside no doubt but maybe not because no one saw the puck on the stick. The only one that even could of was linesmen on that side of the ice. Anyways I believe you let the refs ref game like it always has been. In years past the Kucherov shot would have been deemed a save and last nights goal would have stayed a goal. The games should not be decided by some tweeting employess behind a computer screen making probability assumptions.

They probably shouldn’t be able to over turn it based on the view we saw because we can’t see the puck, but maybe they have a view from the other side of the ice.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yup... and in a league that likes scoring, and wants to increase it... its ridiculous that Matthews' goal didn't count.

And honestly, I'm not saying this because it affected the leafs.... I've always maintained that a fraction of a inch offside is still within the 'spirit of the rule'....

The offside challnege was introduced for obvious offsides...

Barely offside is the same as being barely pregnant..

You either are or you're not. !!! :wg:

Spirit of the rule or too many spirits doesn't really matter.

Reactions: mrbagina

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Barely offside is the same as being barely pregnant..

You either are or you're not. !!! :wg:

Spirit of the rule or too many spirits doesn't really matter.

:huh:

Hockey is a game of mistakes and refs make them all the time...

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think the rule should be changed that as soon as the puck breaks the plane of the blue line on the centre ice side of the line, it’s fair game. Same on the exit, the puck would have to fully cross the centre ice side.
The skaters without the puck shouldn’t need to straddle the line anymore. As long as any part of their body is not completely over the o zone side of the blue line then they are on side. Some have said to include the stick as part of the body.

Anyway it’s crazy trying to make that call at the current speed and ability of the players.

Anyway, based on current rules, they got right last night.

Then you would need to add another line down the middle of the blue line and still have the same issue. Essentially you have created two smaller bluelines back to back, one for entering and one for exiting.

I think it's fine the way it is.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
It still doesn't make sense based on example I gave.

Marner passes puck to Reilly at the point in offensive zone on PP. Reilly handles the puck along the blueline with puck right on the blue line. Blue line is considered offensive zone in this instance with 4 other skaters (all their skates) in the offensive zone. This isn't off side.

But puck on blue line entering the zone and players entering at same time before puck fully is on white ice, the blue line isn't considered offensive zone.

Sorry rule still makes no sense.

Let's put it this way, for any line you need to cross (no matter what side you are on) you need the puck to fully cross before being consider out of that zone and into the next one.

So to gain the offensive zone, the puck needs to fully cross the blue line first.

To clear your own defensive zone, the puck needs to fully cross the blue line first.

To score a goal you need to fully cross the goal line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
:huh:

Hockey is a game of mistakes and refs make them all the time...

Too bad for Leafs that Willy was caught on tape after video review, so the Refs mistake on the ice of goal, could be correct.

The spirit of the coaches challenge is to decide if the call on the ice was wrong or right.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Too bad Willy was caught on tape after video review, so the Refs mistake on the ice of goal could be correct.

The spirit of the coaches challenge is to decide if the call on the ice was wrong or right.

He wasn't caught on tape to be offside though... video wasn't conclusive...

NiftyMits

Mar 24, 2018
Our PP Needs more shots from the blue line to create rebounds they are way too predictable. Or at least switch nylander for kadri so we can have 3 puck carriers instead of Marner and Rielly doing all the work

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He wasn't caught on tape to be offside though... video wasn't conclusive...

Sorry, the NHL rules state if the video review is inconclusive, then the call on the ice stands and is not overturned..

Since the ruling on the ice was Goal, but the review changed it to No Goal, then there was conclusive evidence to overturn it..

PS.. Keep in mind we the fans on TV only get certain replays, but the Refs/Booth review might have other video and angles to make the call.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Sorry, the NHL rules state if the video review is inconclusive, then the call on the ice stands and is not overturned..

Since the ruling on the ice was Goal, but the review changed it to No Goal, then there was conclusive evidence to overturn it..

It was conclusive, they over turned the call.

TV didn't show all angles I'm guessing.

Normally they show the footage that the NHL went off of. I haven't seen such footage yet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Normally they show the footage that the NHL went off of. I haven't seen such footage yet.

Were you hoping the Leafs would lose 4-1 with the goal counting, instead of 4-0 with it overturned?

PK Subban's GWG a short-time later was not impacted by the ruling of the Matthews goal one way or the other, so what does it really matter if it counted or not now?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think some of us need to adjust our expectations for this team a bit. Remember that we're still a very young team and have growing pains to go through. To me I expect the Leafs to finish 2nd in their division this year and win 1 round - even if its against Boston who have an extremely strong and experienced core. Beyond that I think its money if the Leafs go any further. Last year to be honest, if the leafs beat Boston it would have been a steal because for the vast majority of that series, Boston was just flat out better. This year I think it will be a much closer showdown, but I expect Leafs to still come out on top. Now if they don't, then yes I'll be disappointed and think that they came up a bit short

Reactions: Gary Nylund

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Were you hoping the Leafs would lose 4-1 with the goal counting, instead of 4-0 with it overturned?

PK Subban's GWG a short-time later was not impacted by the ruling of the Matthews goal one way or the other, so what does it really matter if it counted or not now?

You as much as anyone would know the game would have been different had the score been 1-1 rather than 1-0 and eventually 2-0....

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think some of us need to adjust our expectations for this team a bit. Remember that we're still a very young team and have growing pains to go through. To me I expect the Leafs to finish 2nd in their division this year and win 1 round - even if its against Boston who have an extremely strong and experienced core. Beyond that I think its money if the Leafs go any further. Last year to be honest, if the leafs beat Boston it would have been a steal because for the vast majority of that series, Boston was just flat out better. This year I think it will be a much closer showdown, but I expect Leafs to still come out on top. Now if they don't, then yes I'll be disappointed and think that they came up a bit short

They were indeed. And the Leafs still have no answer for Marchand's line whatsoever
They don't match up well against the Bruins in the playoffs

Reactions: glue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad