Post-Game Talk: Leafs Get Shutout 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I've been watching and everyone has to step up as far as I'm concerned. No one gets a free pass.

Especially the likes of Kadri and Brown.

If they want to beat the Bruins and TB it will take a total team effort and Freddy will need to be rested and at his best. I expected much more from Kadri given he is playing against the opposition's weaker lines. Brown, I have no idea what has happened to his scoring touch. It takes something to go 26 games without a goal playing with the C's on this team.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Freddy needs to step it up in the playoffs, no letting in 1 or 2 softies a game, or we are going out 2nd round for sure.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My point is NHL is over turning calls on ice without definitive proof. I would be fine if one can actually see puck behind Willy's skate last night. But you can't. It is being done based on assumptions not hard fact of seeing the puck.
You are assuming that the view we saw, provided by one broadcaster, was the only one the NHL had, while I understand that they have others.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But no one has explained (unless I missed it) why that play was offside if the puck is on the line and not in the zone. Isnt the blue line considered in the zone?
You must have missed it. Here it is again:

If the puck has not completely crossed the line, it is still in the zone it was in. So if the puck was in the offensive zone, then as long as part of the puck is still touching the line, it's still in the offensive zone. If the puck was in the neutral zone, then as long as part of the puck is still touching the line, it's still in the neutral zone.

The second part applies here. The puck was being carried from the neutral zone, so it is considered to be still in the neutral zone until the entire puck is past the line and into the white paint of the offensive zone.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I understand the current rules. Totally do. What I am saying is that it is flawed. The blue line regardless of clearing the defensive zone or entering it should be inclusive of the zone entering or exiting. If its inclusive when exiting it should be that way when entering. It removes any replays really that are necessary and it is cut-dry in both circumstances. Any part of puck touching line counts as a clean exit of entrance. As any part of the puck touching goaline isn't a goal regardless of how much of the puck is touching it.
It is consistent. The blue line is always inclusive of the zone being exited.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
They should get rid of this blueline review rule, does nothing for the game.

They had to go frame by frame to make that call. That is bullcrap.

This is hockey, not art school.

Just play the damn game!

:propeller

Reactions: Moonman

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You are assuming that the view we saw, provided by one broadcaster, was the only one the NHL had, while I understand that they have others.
As I see it, any position the puck might have had where it was hid by the player's stick also meant that it was not across the line before Nylander. Now, the problem there is that previously they have ruled such situations the other way. Doesn't matter if simple logic dictates what happened, if you can't see it you can't call it. Of course, there's also the possibility that they had another angle, even though NHL usually provides that footage afterwards in that case.

However, all that pales in comparison to how a unchallenged zone entry that was offside by centimeters almost half a minute earlier shouldn't cancel a goal. You just can't get a more insignificant event than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad