Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Florida.. Very Weird without a Tampa Pitstop. [Game Wednesday on SN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I kind of fluctuate on the Hyman debate, because I do think he's actually very fast on the forecheck and causes some havoc down there.......but it's becoming clear again (and we always revert to this) that from some perspective of sustainability, he simply doesn't have the hockey skills to be hanging around on a top line.....but neither would a guy like say, Komarov.

It's something that I can accept from a depth standpoint, given Babcock seems to view his lines right now, as some sort of fluid dynamic subject to change in any given game....so don't read too much on to the lines being static before game-time, I would say.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Cannot stand watching Nylander with Kadri when Babs decides to change the lines, there is no Chemistry there and they do not compliment each other at all. Both like holding the puck and seem like they would rather give it away than pass to each other. Love Kadri and Willy, just not together.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why? Because not everyone shares the same opinion as you?

It's ok to be critical of Babcock and his decisions

The board is fine, look past the hot takes and the "sky is falling" rhetoric (which I honestly don't see, it's just fans being frustrated over losing a very winnable game), and there's lots of objective discussion to be had.

actually, not because everyone shares the same opinion as Cor and others. For myself, I think I disagree with like 80% of what @Kiwi leafs fan says for example. But I respect his opinion, and we're good HF buds. or @Pookie and I would be at loggerheads for like EVERYTHING, but we continue to have a respectful disagreement (unless he frustrates me, then I get snappy, but then I apologise). half the crap that goes on here isn't like that though.

No one ever said you can't be critical of Babcock and his decisions (or Lamoriello, or Shanahan or name that person and go for it). But when most of it devolves into childish name calling, a massive pile of hot takes, political slamming, it is tedious and quite frankly you shouldn't have to look past that crap to get to legitimate debates.

and it will work both ways. sometimes it gets tedious when people go "He's an NHL (whatever)." and ends the conversation there. but it gets just as tedious with people assuming if you agree that you "toe the party line" or whatever.

You can be frustrated over the team losing a winnable game but 90% of the reactions are childish. then of course the whole "well hit ignore if you don't like it." "or this is a message board, whatever." Why not just act mature and post reasonably? that's what the majority of people want here. not everything has to be set up for the zinger, or the one liner, or should be excused as being 'passionate' or 'frustrated'. things shouldn't be shut down because "Lolz leafs fans are impatient." or "that's stupid" or in the reverse.

That's what was bugging Me last night, I can't put words in @Cor mouth, and it gets to the point where sometimes, you have to wonder if it's even worth being here anymore because as someone who loves the discussion, and the debates, I will quite categorically disagree with you that no - it's not "fine."

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Cannot stand watching Nylander with Kadri when Babs decides to change the lines, there is no Chemistry there and they do not compliment each other at all. Both like holding the puck and seem like they would rather give it away than pass to each other. Love Kadri and Willy, just not together.

Matthews and Kadri aren't working as centres for him at the moment. Personally I'd try him with Marleau at let the two of them share centre ice duties. Still hoping for this

Martin Matthews Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Hyman Marleau Nylander
JVR Bozak Leivo/Sosh

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There's a reason I don't visit GDT or even PGT when they lose...too many chicken littles and trolls trying to get a rise out of people.

It's a long season with lots of ups and downs, I'm too old to get too worked up about one game or even five games.

7189d1413323815-walking-dead-season-five-keep-calm-just-look-flowers-11.png

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Reimer is the backup for Florida. He lost the starting role just 3 games after winning it.
Loungo is probably starting.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd be very surprised if he changes the lines.
Only change I see is possibly Nylander and Brown swap lines.
When really it should be Moore-Komarov, Bozak-Nylander, Kadri-Brown, and Matthews-Marner as the C-RW combos

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Coach after Tuesday's practice - Courtesy Leafs TV

Interesting he says he keeps Marner and Matthews apart because he believes both can drive a line, however he keeps Nylander with Matthews. Maybe I;m reading too much into it, but it to me seems less and less likely Nylander ever centers his own line

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting he says he keeps Marner and Matthews apart because he believes both can drive a line, however he keeps Nylander with Matthews. Maybe I;m reading too much into it, but it to me seems less and less likely Nylander ever centers his own line
yep, don't be surprised if Marner is centering a line one day.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Not really a fan of it either. To be honest the Kadri line doesn't look great whether its Marleau-Kadri-Leo or Nylander-Kadri-Leo. Starting to think Leo might be the problem.

Still don't like Kadri and Willy together though.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well by moving him away from Matthews when he does, we can't be too sure if he trusts him at wing sometimes. Bobby Mac touched on it yesterday in that OEL article - he doesn't believe they view him as a center anymore.

If that's the case we're even more shallow a C organizationally then we thought. Would be nice to find one via trade.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"I want to win games and obviously I think we win more games with our line that put up 0 ES goals in the last two games than the one that put up 6" - Coaching genius. if he doesn't feel like those lines can win, why does he switch to them to get things going when his other lines fail?

To be clear, I wasn't being sarcastic. I really do think he's a coaching genius. but his lineup decisions are still questionable and I expect better from him

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I kind of fluctuate on the Hyman debate, because I do think he's actually very fast on the forecheck and causes some havoc down there.......but it's becoming clear again (and we always revert to this) that from some perspective of sustainability, he simply doesn't have the hockey skills to be hanging around on a top line.....but neither would a guy like say, Komarov.

It's something that I can accept from a depth standpoint, given Babcock seems to view his lines right now, as some sort of fluid dynamic subject to change in any given game....so don't read too much on to the lines being static before game-time, I would say.

Isn't Brown a much better option tho?

He plays on the 4 th line often, is willing to get dirty and has great playmaking ability!!

Hyman can get his minutes on pk, and move to bozaks line to protect
a lead!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I thought they had some nice chemistry last year actually. Komarov is the clear weak link on the line as he is a black hole offensively. That being said, Nylander is not playing well right now in general. He generates a nice rush and creates space but throws the puck away on a low percentage play after that.

Reactions: IPS

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Bozak not here next season, unless Babs wants to roll out

Matthews
Marleau
Kadri
Goat

Or

Get top 6 UFA for a center

Willy will play Center next season. He would have had 2 solid seasons in NHL under his belt.

And betweeen Bozak and Willy; I would say Willy is better defensively, has a good vision and can drive a line in his own and make plays

Reactions: carko32

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
After watching the Babcock interview from today, it seems clear that he feels as though Marner controls a line and makes things happen more-so than Nylander. Seeing Mitch with Auston for portions of the last couple of games we see what a not even 100% AM34 can do to boost his linemates. As mentioned in a post above, Babcock's comments are a huge blow for Nylander's chances to play C in the near future. We could hypothesize as much when he didn't shift to C when AM34 was injured. It really makes me wonder if we do take a run at Tavares in the off-season with the almost certain departure of Bozak. There is a lot of time between now and the end of the season though. I for one hope we get to see Nylander at C.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

im not sure kadri uses his vision much or maybe it wasn't that great to begin with. Many times (with or without nylander) there is a open man that kadri seems oblivious too, maybe a side product of having him so dedicated to being a good 2way I don't know. Nylander needs a guy who isn't going to dump it in and force him to go hard in on a forcheck. Kadri does this a lot maybe because of playing so long with komarov/Brown or the intensity he has in trying to do his 2way C job. They just don't fit together at all.

If Marner absolutely had to be with Matthews id switch Marner and Nylander. Bozak and JVR are good offensive players who are heavily sheltered moving nylander there will ge thim scoring again and maybe a fully confident Nylander can get kadri and komarov/Marleau going

edit: by getting kadri going I actually meant getting chemistry going with kadri. Obviously kadri is scoring goals already

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I always see people claiming sure or 100% "W" against certain / weaker opponents, we need to keep in mind that there is no thing as easy / sure win. Hockey is played on ice and does not matter what you record is, and you have to put a good effort every single night. Having said I honestly believe that Leafs are going to coming up with a better effort and win this one against Florida.

Good teams usually bounce back quickly and always look for different ways to secure a "W"

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why not run a Hyman-Kadri-Brown line? Have them spend entire shifts cycling/forechecking against the opponent's main offensive unit. Any offense they generate is just a bonus at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00