Proposal: Leafs-Flames

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Lol love how Bennett is a bust. Yet kapanen who can't even stick in the NHL and has 10 points total is a great prospect.

Definitely not trading Tkachuk for the far more one dimensional Nylander though. And yes, relative to Tkachuk, Nylander is very soft.

Funny how you dismiss Kap as nothing and Bennett gets a pass for his average at best play. I watched a lot of flames hockey this year as a good friend is a flames fan. Bennett spent a lot of time taking cheap and stupid penalties that swung the games momentum away from Calgary.

Kap has been ready for a bit now but Babcock has a habit of making young players be over ready for the league before letting them take a spot full time. Kap is a dangerous 200 foot player with some of the fastest wheels in the game.

You can keep your 3rd/4th line C you drafted at #4 OA and a player that most of the league wants to snot locker on a nightly basis.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Funny how you dismiss Kap as nothing and Bennett gets a pass for his average at best play. I watched a lot of flames hockey this year as a good friend is a flames fan. Bennett spent a lot of time taking cheap and stupid penalties that swung the games momentum away from Calgary.

Kap has been ready for a bit now but Babcock has a habit of making young players be over ready for the league before letting them take a spot full time. Kap is a dangerous 200 foot player with some of the fastest wheels in the game.

You can keep your 3rd/4th line C you drafted at #4 OA and a player that most of the league wants to snot locker on a nightly basis.
I actually didn't say anything about Kapanen. I was pointing out how absurd it was to write off Bennett but state that kapanen will definitely improve... Which you went and did again.

Both are young players with lots of room for improvement. Will that happen? Who knows.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'm really lost here.

Flames fans say Gio is a #1, sure. Hamilton's a #1 now too, well ok I guess I can see the argument. Hamonic and Brodie are both #2/3s, uhh... and now Stone is a solid #4? You guys don't have a bottom pairing defenseman on the roster? Add to that a Selke contender in Backlund and "one of the best defensive forwards" in Tkachuk and a legit #1 goalie in Smith...

How exactly did you guys finish with 13 more goals against than our garbage defense and soft forwards?

I’m not going to add to your junk and sarcastic points but the flames problem this year was scoring which included the power play. Smith was very good for us and when he went down the flames crumbled.

But leaf fans can go ahead and point to the flames D as reason for our failure.

Flames fans need to shut up about nylander being soft. Gaudreau is soft himself.

It’s clear that the fan bases will not agree on a fair trade involving Hamilton/nylander.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I actually didn't say anything about Kapanen. I was pointing out how absurd it was to write off Bennett but state that kapanen will definitely improve... Which you went and did again.

Both are young players with lots of room for improvement. Will that happen? Who knows.

SB has had 3 years to improve and prove himself. He has done very little to improve himself and turn into the kind of player that gets taken 4th OA.
He is actually getting worse as he gets older. KK is only getting better and plays a very solid 2 way game.

SB 11 goals in 82 games
KK 7 goals in 38 games (playing 4th line minutes)

There is no way in hell that Bennett is more valuable and the same goes for Tchauck vs Nylander.

Leafs easily pass without a second thought.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm really lost here.

Flames fans say Gio is a #1, sure. Hamilton's a #1 now too, well ok I guess I can see the argument. Hamonic and Brodie are both #2/3s, uhh... and now Stone is a solid #4? You guys don't have a bottom pairing defenseman on the roster? Add to that a Selke contender in Backlund and "one of the best defensive forwards" in Tkachuk and a legit #1 goalie in Smith...

How exactly did you guys finish with 13 more goals against than our garbage defense and soft forwards?
Because goals against is more than just your defensemen. Systems and forwards make a significant difference and our forwards outside of the Backlund line couldn't spell defense

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
Not a fan of either team but I would take Tkachuk and Bennett over Nylander and Kapanen. I think Tkachuk puts up as good if not better numbers if was flanking Matthews and he’s not soft as warm butter like Nylander is.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bennett>>>>Kapanen... what are you on?

26 points 3 years out vs. on pace for 20 in his rookie season? Sure they are the same age, but at the same time Kapanen spend all of his games on the 4th line with limited offensive opportunity. He is one of the better skaters in the league, is great defensively, and at this point in their careers has shown signs that he can at least match Bennetts sub 30 points offensively. To top it off, you are replying to a Habs fan so there is no bias.

At the very least they are dead even.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Kapanen is almost 22 and he has 10 points in 55 nhl games. I don't think he's worth much

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
SB has had 3 years to improve and prove himself. He has done very little to improve himself and turn into the kind of player that gets taken 4th OA.
He is actually getting worse as he gets older. KK is only getting better and plays a very solid 2 way game.

SB 11 goals in 82 games
KK 7 goals in 38 games (playing 4th line minutes)

There is no way in hell that Bennett is more valuable and the same goes for Tchauck vs Nylander.

Leafs easily pass without a second thought.

Both players are exactly the same age. Kapanen has a ways to go before even getting to Bennett's level of play. Kapanen has most certainly not proved that he is getting better and better either. His AHL number actually went down last year.

It's a moot point anyways, as the Flames are not offering Bennett, who is already an established bottom 6 player with top 6 potential, for a Kapanen, who is currently not an established NHL player at all.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Lol, it's still Bennett > Kapanen. Bennett has shown that he at least maintain his spot on his NHL team.
Kapanen has played the last 40 game since plus playoffs for the leafs. He will be a regular in the team next season. He was also on a team with a lot of winger depth. The flames don't have as much depth as the leafs. Bennett has decreased production every year he's been in the NHL. He's the next yakupov. You gave oilers fans grief about yak now it's your turn to feel the same about Bennett. It's still kapanen> bennett

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
There is no realistic offer Calgary can make for Matthews that I'd be interested in.
Realistically though any team in the league can put together a package to acquire any player in the league.

Now would a team do that (put that package together)? No. But when fans say "nothing from team X can get our player Y" is stupid.

member 157595

Realistically though any team in the league can put together a package to acquire any player in the league.

Now would a team do that (put that package together)? No. But when fans say "nothing from team X can get our player Y" is stupid.

...You actually felt the need to explain that to me? Really? :laugh: You don't think I (and everyone else with a functioning brain, for that matter) already damn well understand what it means for a trade to be realistic?

Here, I'll spell it out since my already very obvious post apparently wasn't obvious enough: There is no trade involving Auston Matthews and the Calgary Flames that would be mutually agreed upon by both parties. Happy?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
...You actually felt the need to explain that to me? Really? :laugh: You don't think I (and everyone else with a functioning brain, for that matter) already damn well understand what it means for a trade to be realistic?

Here, I'll spell it out since my already very obvious post apparently wasn't obvious enough: There is no trade involving Auston Matthews and the Calgary Flames that would be mutually agreed upon by both parties. Happy?

A bit different than your comment that ended with "i'd be interested in"

But that's ok. Not all of us have functioning brains right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad