GDT: LEAFS @ FLAMES | SUNDAY APR 4 | 9PM EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Since that last win against Edmonton (6-1), we haven't even scored 4 goals in regulation for 13 games now. It's great to be getting the wins and points to stay 1st in the division but these guys better learn how to score again, even on the PP.
Otherwise we will see a first-round exit again cause in the playoffs, there is no 3 on 3 OT or SO. Forgetting how to score in the 3rd period and OT is what lost us those 4 first-rounds in the playoff.

We've only won 2 games in regulation out of the last 13 games (after the Edmonton series) and have scored only 30 regulation-time goals in those 13 games. If not for Soup, that 5-0-1 record would be 0-5-1 to make it 1-11-1 since Edmonton. How friggin long does it take these billionaires to learn how to score a friggin PP goal.

Wasn't the problem for 4 years the Leafs only could score and were horrible at defending?

That wasn't the recipe for playoff success? Now they have become pretty damn good at smothering the opposition and this is an issue?

They were never going to score as much when they changed to paying more attention to a 200ft game.

Th powerplay is a concern, but take away the past 10 games, as well as the first 10 games when they were 40%. It always balances out. For every hot streak that is that far above normal, there will be a cold streak.

Reactions: stickty111

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Anyone but Hutch starting would be nice. I'd prefer to put Petan or Barabanov in net.

Petan and Barabanov should never play for the Leafs again in any capacity.

Hutch hasn't been the problem. He has done what he expected as a 3rd goalie. If the team upfront of him shows up and PP actually clicks we win.

Reactions: stuart5035

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We need JT and Nylander to start contributing offensively. The 2nd line is blowing to many chances are way to fixated on playing a cycle heavy game

Hopefully they both get assists and set up Galchenyuk who's been close several times so far

Hutchinson will suck no doubt but if we get 4-5 goal we should win

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Can't believe this game is not national broadcast with no Canucks today. What a f***ing fail. Thanks NHL for punishing fans who live outside your stupid broadcast area, take your sportsnet NOW or center Ice or w.e other shitty overcharged services and shove it while I torrent the stream.

Reactions: hoglund

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Since that last win against Edmonton (6-1), we haven't even scored 4 goals in regulation for 13 games now. It's great to be getting the wins and points to stay 1st in the division but these guys better learn how to score again, even on the PP.
Otherwise we will see a first-round exit again cause in the playoffs, there is no 3 on 3 OT or SO. Forgetting how to score in the 3rd period and OT is what lost us those 4 first-rounds in the playoff.

We've only won 2 games in regulation out of the last 13 games (after the Edmonton series) and have scored only 30 regulation-time goals in those 13 games. If not for Soup, that 5-0-1 record would be 0-5-1 to make it 1-11-1 since Edmonton. How friggin long does it take these billionaires to learn how to score a friggin PP goal.
Or you could look at it like the Leafs had a 1 and 6 stretch where the healthiest goalie they had was their pre-season #4, Matthews was playing injured, Muzzin was playing with a cage and injured, plus Simmonds/Thornton were out with injuries.

Their record with a full(ish) lineup? 23-4-3, which is a 134 point pace over a full 82 game season.

There is no need for all these mental gymnastics to try to make it appear like the Leafs have issues. The only issue they have are the ridiculous expectations of some of their fans.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Or you could look at it like the Leafs had a 1 and 6 stretch where the healthiest goalie they had was their pre-season #4, Matthews was playing injured, Muzzin was playing with a cage and injured, plus Simmonds/Thornton were out with injuries.

Their record with a full(ish) lineup? 23-4-3, which is a 134 point pace over a full 82 game season.

There is no need for all these mental gymnastics to try to make it appear like the Leafs have issues. The only issue they have are the ridiculous expectations of some of their fans.

Oh trust me, I always make up excuses for their set-backs also but they've been mostly healthy for a while now and still can't score 4 in regulation or a PP goal (JT and Willy get points after 5 games), I try not to be a downer but I'm starting to become concerned about the playoffs. In a way it's good to work this out with just under half a season still to play so they can be ready for the playoffs.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

In past years it was always "can't win in the playoffs with these high scoring games, need to learn how to defend." Now we can't win in the playoffs if we're winning low scoring games with good defense and goaltending? Smh

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I wouldn't expect anything like this until after the deadline when they are no longer trying to accumulate as much capspace as possible.

I think whatever trade happens "if any"I think it will be dollars out and dollars in. I don't think Leafs have enough room to make any considerable cap space accumulation by the TDL

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Domingue, Stalock, Lindgren, Daccord, DiPietro, and Comrie are the #3 goalies for every other team in the North. None of them are really any better than Hutchinson, and many are worse. Fans should really try to realize what depth players actually look like, and stop having ridiculous expectations

We really need to find someone like John Gibson to be our third string goalie.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Wasn't the problem for 4 years the Leafs only could score and were horrible at defending?

That wasn't the recipe for playoff success? Now they have become pretty damn good at smothering the opposition and this is an issue?

They were never going to score as much when they changed to paying more attention to a 200ft game.

Th powerplay is a concern, but take away the past 10 games, as well as the first 10 games when they were 40%. It always balances out. For every hot streak that is that far above normal, there will be a cold streak.

*The Caps won the series 4-2 after we had a 2-1 lead in games and then lost 3 straight because we could not score in OT.
*The Bruins first beat us in game 7 after we had a 4-3 lead heading into the 3rd period and just as in 2013, we forgot how to score in the 3rd and let them score 3 and an empty netter.
*The Bruins then beat us the next year after we led the series 3-2 and in game 6, it all came down to the last period again where we scored 1 goal to make it 3-2 but then couldn't tie it up and then in game 7, down 2-1 going into the 3rd, we forgot how to score and let them score 1 goal to go down 3-1 and then B's scored 2 empty netters.
*In the 3 games we lost to Columbus, we totally forgot how to score as we got shutout twice and lost the other one in OT after building a 3-0 lead. Although the 2 wins were impressive, one with a shutout and the other with 3 goals with the goalie pulled.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
In past years it was always "can't win in the playoffs with these high scoring games, need to learn how to defend." Now we can't win in the playoffs if we're winning low scoring games with good defense and goaltending? Smh

We lost 6 out of the first 7 low scoring games (thanks to Andersen) and then won 5 out of 6 (thanks to Jack) but I just wish we could start winning in regulation and scoring on the PP, matter of fact, if we could score on the PP, we'd have won all of them in regulation.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
*The Caps won the series 4-2 after we had a 2-1 lead in games and then lost 3 straight because we could not score in OT.
*The Bruins first beat us in game 7 after we had a 4-3 lead heading into the 3rd period and just as in 2013, we forgot how to score in the 3rd and let them score 3 and an empty netter.
*The Bruins then beat us the next year after we led the series 3-2 and in game 6, it all came down to the last period again where we scored 1 goal to make it 3-2 but then couldn't tie it up and then in game 7, down 2-1 going into the 3rd, we forgot how to score and let them score 1 goal to go down 3-1 and then B's scored 2 empty netters.
*In the 3 games we lost to Columbus, we totally forgot how to score as we got shutout twice and lost the other one in OT after building a 3-0 lead. Although the 2 wins were impressive, one with a shutout and the other with 3 goals with the goalie pulled.
You're not wrong, we do have a tendency of going into scoring droughts. The difference now is that we're better defensively and hopefully we won't have Andersen letting in that heartwrenching goal in key games that sucks the life out of you. We do need more from the Tavares line if we're going to have any success in the playoffs. We'll figure out the PP and you know the Matthews line will score. I say this year we rewrite the script.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Domingue, Stalock, Lindgren, Daccord, DiPietro, and Comrie are the #3 goalies for every other team in the North. None of them are really any better than Hutchinson, and many are worse. Fans should really try to realize what depth players actually look like, and stop having ridiculous expectations

I'm talking about #2 goalies, which is exactly what Hutchinson is for us for the foreseeable future, and quite possibly the rest of the season if Freddy can't get back on track (or Campbell gets injured again).

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Q5kPfOf.gif

Reactions: OddyOh

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I wonder why they don't change the game time today especially since there are no other Canadian teams playing and it's Sunday. 9pm is too late for me, I'll watch the 1st two periods and fall asleep sometime in the 3rd. They should have an afternoon local start so the whole country could watch rather than just the west.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I don't disagree, but I see no reason why they should be giving up 5 in a game.

Reactions: Leaftors

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I expect a loss tonight, maybe just the COVID depression talking since I can’t see any of my family on Easter weekend but I just feel like it would be a fitting ending to cap a depressing weekend

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Actually their offense hasn't really been hurt by the improved attention to defense.....until this recent shooting slump.

Agreed. If the Leafs were not generating chances, it would be worrisome.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Jack's like a Video Game Power-Up once used it helps you win, but then there is a cool-down before you can use it again! ;)

Reactions: OddyOh

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Hutch starting one game is fine. Hutch starting in the playoffs is not acceptable.
I am generally a fan of Dubas' moves, but if he doesn't add a good backup by trade deadline like Ullmark, and we end up in the playoffs down Freddy and Soup, that would be cause for his termination.
It reminds me of those years when Bobby Clarke was the Flyers GM, and he just couldn't/wouldn't sort the goaltending.
Not acceptable, especially today when he can add a failsafe goalie for a draft pick and third rate prospect.

What exactly is he supposed to do? Look around the league and tell me how many teams have a third goalie who’s any different than Hutchinson.

How do we stay cap compliant if we add another goalie? Hutchinson makes league minimum, I don’t think this new add will make as little.

When was the last time a goalie trade mid season actually helped a team?

We’re better off upgrading top 6 LW and bottom pairing LD. Those moves could actually make sense cap wise.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I wonder why they don't change the game time today especially since there are no other Canadian teams playing and it's Sunday. 9pm is too late for me, I'll watch the 1st two periods and fall asleep sometime in the 3rd. They should have an afternoon local start so the whole country could watch rather than just the west.

Seconded!

It falls at 2am for me. I can handle the midnight games, but this is just too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad