GDT: LEAFS @ FLAMES | SUNDAY APR 4 | 9PM EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Hutch starting one game is fine. Hutch starting in the playoffs is not acceptable.
I am generally a fan of Dubas' moves, but if he doesn't add a good backup by trade deadline like Ullmark, and we end up in the playoffs down Freddy and Soup, that would be cause for his termination.
It reminds me of those years when Bobby Clarke was the Flyers GM, and he just couldn't/wouldn't sort the goaltending.
Not acceptable, especially today when he can add a failsafe goalie for a draft pick and third rate prospect.

Reactions: willmma and ACC1224

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Hutch starting one game is fine. Hutch starting in the playoffs is not acceptable.
I am generally a fan of Dubas' moves, but if he doesn't add a good backup by trade deadline like Ullmark, and we end up in the playoffs down Freddy and Soup, that would be cause for his termination.
It reminds me of those years when Bobby Clarke was the Flyers GM, and he just couldn't/wouldn't sort the goaltending.
Not acceptable, especially today when he can add a failsafe goalie for a draft pick and third rate prospect.

Can you show an example deal where we trade a pick and a 3rd rate prospect and get a failsafe goalie and are still cap compliant?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Can you show an example deal where we trade a pick and a 3rd rate prospect and get a failsafe goalie and are still cap compliant?

First, you phrased your question in a rhetorical unanswerable manner, everyone knows there is no such thing as a failsafe goalie. All goalies are voodoo.

Ullmark from Buffalo is at 2.6 million this year. Would fit pretty easily if Buffalo retains half.
And would a 3rd rate prospect do it? I don't know, but so what if it is a 2nd rate??
We have an excellent shot to get to the 3rd round this year without a struggle IF we have decent goaltending.
You would wait for an injured/damaged Freddy and not add a backup?
Really?

Reactions: willmma and ACC1224

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The goalie situation is fully dependent on Freddy's health, which is something we know nothing about.

If they feel he'll come back 100% then obviously the third goalie isn't a top priority with other holes to fill.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
First, you phrased your question in a rhetorical unanswerable manner, everyone knows there is no such thing as a failsafe goalie. All goalies are voodoo.

Ullmark from Buffalo is at 2.6 million this year. Would fit pretty easily if Buffalo retains half.
And would a 3rd rate prospect do it? I don't know, but so what if it is a 2nd rate??
We have an excellent shot to get to the 3rd round this year without a struggle IF we have decent goaltending.
You would wait for an injured/damaged Freddy and not add a backup?
Really?

I just used your own description of what is possible by saying failsafe :huh:

But anyway. Your proposed deal puts us over the cap. This deal forces us to carry a 21 man roster, having 3 waiver-eligible goalies plus 18 skaters. We have $1m in space with a 20 man roster right now.

Any goalie we get has to either be waiver exempt or make less than $2m (before retention) to theoretically fit. And even then being forced to carry 3 goalies in our cap situation is also risky. There is a reason Leafs preferred to waive Dell than keep 3 goalies.

A roster player that makes more than $1m
needs to be cleared for Ullmark to be even a theoretical option I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML Dynasty

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

But anyway. Your proposed deal puts us over the cap. This deal forces us to carry a 21 man roster, having 3 waiver-eligible goalies plus 18 skaters. We have $1m in space with a 20 man roster right now.

Any goalie we get has to either be waiver exempt or make less than $2m (before retention) to theoretically fit. And even then being forced to carry 3 goalies in our cap situation is also risky. There is a reason Leafs preferred to waive Dell than keep 3 goalies.

I said a "good backup". Not failsafe. Not going to respond to any of your posts after this one if you
are just looking to win stupid arguments.

Freddie on LTIR as an example? I am not an expert on the cap calculations, but every time anyone posts their "expertise" on here, it is usually proven wrong.
Honestly, I think that the Leafs will have no problem making him fit if they want.
I think we will see some goalie addition before the trade deadline.

Reactions: ACC1224

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You literally said “failsafe”:

Who cares about the stupid word failsafe just move on but we cannot discuss if you don’t even know what you are saying.

I said a "good backup". Not failsafe. Not going to respond to any of your posts after this one if you
are just looking to win stupid arguments.

Freddie on LTIR as an example? I am not an expert on the cap calculations, but every time anyone posts their "expertise" on here, it is usually proven wrong.
Honestly, I think that the Leafs will have no problem making him fit if they want.
I think we will see some goalie addition before the trade deadline.

You just said we can get a good goalie today for a deal. You were wrong, now you know. Here to help man, like you said people say stuff on here all the time that is proven wrong, this is just one more example and now you can spread the knowledge that it’s not so easy to get a goalie right now. Ideally Andersen gets healthy and we can roll with him backing up Campbell.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
You literally said “failsafe”:

Who cares about the stupid word failsafe just move on but we cannot discuss if you don’t even know what you are saying.

You just said we can get a good goalie today for a deal. You were wrong, now you know. Here to help man, like you said people say stuff on here all the time that is proven wrong, this is just one more example and now you can spread the knowledge that it’s not so easy to get a goalie right now. Ideally Andersen gets healthy and we can roll with him backing up Campbell.

lol what a weird conversation. Handled nicely. For the record I hope they address the backup situation.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

He should be just under 900k and less the longer it goes, and we are gaining space during that time. We may have to lose a player for a bigger name, but not for Ullmark. What is the name of that site where we can actually check?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He should be just under 900k and less the longer it goes, and we are gaining space during that time. We may have to lose a player for a bigger name, but not for Ullmark. What is the name of that site where we can actually check?

Capfriendly, look for their “Armchair GM” tool. Have fun but I do think we need to lose someone to make it work for someone who makes more than a mill.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I trust Hutch. He was good enough to get us a point last time. Expecting the same. He's given up a few bad goals here and there (Sens game comes to mind) but he still has ways to go before he is Freddie bad. So I trust him.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I trust Hutch. He was good enough to get us a point last time. Expecting the same. He's given up a few bad goals here and there (Sens game comes to mind) but he still has ways to go before he is Freddie bad. So I trust him.

This is precisely why we need to acquire another goaltender.

Our standards are way too low. Campbell is basically our only reliable goaltender on a consistent basis, and his durability is a question mark.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Our standards are way too low. Campbell is basically our only reliable goaltender on a consistent basis, and his durability is a question mark.

I think Dubas will swing a trade to bring Hall and Ullmark to the Leafs. It really just depends on how bad Andersen’s injury is.

I don’t think he’s an .900 or worse goalie. He can still play well and back up Campbell if he’s healthy.

Reactions: willmma

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Is Campbell the backup tonight? I have a bad feeling that Hutch will start both games against Calgary.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
The novelty of playing Canada has definitely worn off. Don't really care for the manufactured animosity with Western Canadian fans, don't really like the time zone differences, don't find Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver or even Edmonton to be that interesting to constantly watch. Give me back the East Coast rivalries.

Meh agree to disagree I care more about Canadian rivalries than I ever will about Boston or Tampa...I’m looking forward to playing the rest of the league again but in terms of division I’d rather play Canada

Reactions: NinjaKick

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Standards are way too high. The 3rd string goalie has a .915 save percentage and people are acting like it's a crime every time he gets into a game

Reactions: Jojalu

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am hoping for the game on Monday:

OUT
Forwards: Jumbo
D: Holl or Bogo

IN
Forwards: Barabanov
D: Lily

Get some fresh legs in the line up for the game on Monday AND give a chance to rest some of the "regular" folk

P.S. I would feed Lily PP time either 1st or 2nd unit it doesnt matter

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
We're getting David Rittich'ed on our way to a 37 save, 3-1 loss tonight, aren't we?

Or is this just a nightmare I'm waiting to wake up from?

Last edited:

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Gonna have to score at least 5 probably, haven't done that in awhile so hopefully the offence gets going again.

Since that last win against Edmonton (6-1), we haven't even scored 4 goals in regulation for 13 games now. It's great to be getting the wins and points to stay 1st in the division but these guys better learn how to score again, even on the PP.
Otherwise we will see a first-round exit again cause in the playoffs, there is no 3 on 3 OT or SO. Forgetting how to score in the 3rd period and OT is what lost us those 4 first-rounds in the playoff.

We've only won 2 games in regulation out of the last 13 games (after the Edmonton series) and have scored only 30 regulation-time goals in those 13 games. If not for Soup, that 5-0-1 record would be 0-5-1 to make it 1-11-1 since Edmonton. How friggin long does it take these billionaires to learn how to score a friggin PP goal.

Reactions: supermann_98

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Standards are way too high. The 3rd string goalie has a .915 save percentage and people are acting like it's a crime every time he gets into a game

I get that Hutch has put up better than average numbers this season (well above his career .905 save percentage), but I still don't trust him.

We need to have better options, especially if you look at the goaltending depth in our division.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am hoping for the game on Monday:

OUT
Forwards: Jumbo
D: Holl or Bogo

IN
Forwards: Barabanov
D: Lily

Get some fresh legs in the line up for the game on Monday AND give a chance to rest some of the "regular" folk

P.S. I would feed Lily PP time either 1st or 2nd unit it doesnt matter

I wouldn't expect anything like this until after the deadline when they are no longer trying to accumulate as much capspace as possible.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
A lot of people talking about Toronto's lack of offensive output lately. Look no further than the powerplay. No team is going to regularly score 4-5 goals per night at even strength. You need the powerplay to come through for you at a reasonable clip, especially on those nights when it's fairly even at 5 on 5 and you're getting goalied.

Reactions: dethszn

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I get that Hutch has put up better than average numbers this season (well above his career .905 save percentage), but I still don't trust him.

We need to have better options, especially if you look at the goaltending depth in our division.
Domingue, Stalock, Lindgren, Daccord, DiPietro, and Comrie are the #3 goalies for every other team in the North. None of them are really any better than Hutchinson, and many are worse. Fans should really try to realize what depth players actually look like, and stop having ridiculous expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad