Leafs fire Carlyle II - Carlyle Speaks (Link in post 227)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Carlyle is a great hockey man but he was in a world where he needed to adapt. He couldn't do that. As we all know change is one of the hardest things to do.

Nonis is next. Some of the contracts just look awful now. It's tough to defend him even though he has made some decent moves.

This organization needs a change. A big change. New personnel, new coaches, new management. I just hope we see a consistent improvement. Don't expect a stanley cup winning team in a month.

It's funny you say he couldn't adapt. The team can't adapt Carlyles system does work this team just can't execute for ****, like a yo yo up and down. It's not just one thing either it's a collection of many this team is going to keep going through coaches until they realize they can't let the players dictate how the team is run and played.

Anyone remember when Steve first came as an assistant, he asked Phil to try some breakouts or something like that and Phil flat out said no. And wouldn't talk to him or discuss anything and Spott went to Randy and was told who do you think they are going to get rid of their 30 goal scorer or the coach? Seems like Randy went down that road before with Phil and was put in his place by management.

People can blame Carlyle all they want, say his systems didn't work or he couldn't adjust but that's not the fact, the fact is he did try different thing but the team was just super inconstant and still is.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
This market always destroys our best assets and lionizes our worst.

This randy adoration is hilarious.

Please elaborate, I don't think anyone is sugarcoating what happened with Randy here. But face it if you blame the coach or should I say coaches for what's going on in Toronto and give the players a free pass then that's ********.

If you're referring to Phil Kessel the guy is a flashy inconstant sniper and that's about all he offers. TBH I would trade him in a heart beat if the right deal came along but I doubt Nonis would or potentially be allowed at this stage anyhow.

Tyler Biggs*

Why does anyone care what old man Wilson says?

Wilson=Jackass

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I don't think anyone is reading Buffery's article.

Nonis knew he was in Sudbury for his brotherinlaw's death, he knew RC was not going to drive 3AM in the night to get to Toronto to meet him at 8AM. It may be business, but some organizations fire people the right way. Edmonton fired their coach(not Eakins the other guy) by Skype, we know what kind of organization they are .Class organizations like Detroit would do it face to face.

I don't think it was handled in the most sensitive way. I can't believe people think that firing some one on the phone is the right way, maybe it is just me. But good organizations, even businesses. Hire and Fire the correct way. It sets a class organization apart from the also rands.

A jet ride to Sudbury for a coach that gave 3 years of his life to the organization is a drop in the bucket for an organization with money up to their eyeballs.

Why would anyone fly from Toronto to Sudbury? It'd be faster to drive.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Please elaborate, I don't think anyone is sugarcoating what happened with Randy here. But face it if you blame the coach or should I say coaches for what's going on in Toronto and give the players a free pass then that's ********.

If you're referring to Phil Kessel the guy is a flashy inconstant sniper and that's about all he offers. TBH I would trade him in a heart beat if the right deal came along but I doubt Nonis would or potentially be allowed at this stage anyhow.

He's right though. Phil Kessel IS the best player on the team. You can't deny that fact. I too want him traded, but I'm not letting the media or anyone for that mater blind me.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Why does anyone care what old man Wilson says?

Wilson=Jackass

What exactly makes him a jackass?

And a coach who have coached 1400 NHL games usually knows what he talks about. And he was our coach for 4 years and coached some of our current players so of course it is interesting to hear what he has to say.

So again, why is he as jackass?

Dobber

Jan 7, 2015
An interim is the wrong move - they can get into the playoffs here. They need to make it happen. Bylsma is another good option. forgot about him.

If they wait, then it's to wait for Babcock IMO.

Leafspoison*

An interim is the wrong move - they can get into the playoffs here. They need to make it happen. Bylsma is another good option. forgot about him.

If they wait, then it's to wait for Babcock IMO.

Bylsma is NOT a good option.

Dear god what are some of you thinking? Good enough for the tank if thats what you mean.

I will gladly hold out for Babcock.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's funny you say he couldn't adapt. The team can't adapt Carlyles system does work this team just can't execute for ****, like a yo yo up and down. It's not just one thing either it's a collection of many this team is going to keep going through coaches until they realize they can't let the players dictate how the team is run and played.

Anyone remember when Steve first came as an assistant, he asked Phil to try some breakouts or something like that and Phil flat out said no. And wouldn't talk to him or discuss anything and Spott went to Randy and was told who do you think they are going to get rid of their 30 goal scorer or the coach? Seems like Randy went down that road before with Phil and was put in his place by management.

People can blame Carlyle all they want, say his systems didn't work or he couldn't adjust but that's not the fact, the fact is he did try different thing but the team was just super inconstant and still is.

According to what I read, they absolutely did talk, and "reached a compromise". We'll never know exactly what happened, but saying Phil wouldn't talk to him is clearly wrong.

Dobber

Jan 7, 2015
Bylsma is NOT a good option.

Dear god what are some of you thinking? Good enough for the tank if thats what you mean.

I will gladly hold out for Babcock.

You don't know what you are talking about, Bylsma would be a great option in Toronto

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
You don't know what you are talking about, Bylsma would be a great option in Toronto

bylsma is useless. he is not a good coach. ask any pens fans and they'll tell you. he won the cup cause of crosby and malkin, not cause of his coaching abilities.

id rather have torts than bylsma.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Lol it's been 2 games, what did you think was going on during our 10 game winning run?

Take out the 1 Buffalo game and show me any two games under Carlyle, not even consecutive ones, with a cumulative shot total of 46. You won't find two even if you use both this and last season. Think about that and then let me know if you're still laughing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Take out the 1 Buffalo game and show me any two games under Carlyle, not even consecutive ones, with a cumulative shot total of 46. You won't find two even if you use both this and last season. Think about that and then let me know if you're still laughing.

This is very telling.

I honestly can't remember the last time the Leafs outshot an opponent and held the edge in possession two games in a row.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nearly instant transformation. Does anyone still think Carlyle wasn't a big problem?

I believe you're massively overreacting.

Horacek has coached 2 games. Can we stop giving these guys credit after one game where they showed up. They need to maintain a high level of play, win or loss, for about 15-20 games for me believe in this group.

I'm not an easy sell, true, but I've also seen this core choke far too many times.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This is very telling.

I honestly can't remember the last time the Leafs outshot an opponent and held the edge in possession two games in a row.

The Leafs had a game last year where they limited Columbus to 22 shots so I think it's still too early to say if the shots are going to come way down. Promising start though.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A jet ride to Sudbury for a coach that gave 3 years of his life to the organization is a drop in the bucket for an organization with money up to their eyeballs.

I would agree with you except that Carlyle said he demanded on the phone convo to be told right then. What was Nonis supposed to say, "no we're not firing you" and then the next morning show up in Sudbury and call Carlyle "hey, I just happened to be in the area, let's chat!" then "guess what, I changed my mind!"

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
I believe you're massively overreacting.

Horacek has coached 2 games. Can we stop giving these guys credit after one game where they showed up. They need to maintain a high level of play, win or loss, for about 15-20 games for me believe in this group.

I'm not an easy sell, true, but I've also seen this core choke far too many times.

I believe you're massively misapprehending what I said.

Number of games during Carlyle's entire tenure with 20 or fewer shots against: 4.

Number of games with 50 shots against: 5.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Obviously 2 games is wayyy to early to make any concrete evaluations of the team, but last night was arguably their best played game of the season, that didn't occur against Buffalo (the one where we held them to 10 shots).

You can say it's a coincidence all you want, but if you actually watched the game it was very apparent that system tweaks were made, and that they were working. It was also very apparent that Carlyle was a problem, and how he made it past the summer is a complete failure of management imo, and ultimately will be costing Nonis his job this summer imo again.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Bryan Hayes touched on this on Leafs Lunch. Tough way to be fired. Carlyle was in Sudbury because his brother inlaw passed away. Not impressed by how the Leafs handled this one.

Nonis and Shanahan could have flew up there and fired him face to face. This kinda speaks to the character that is running this organization these days. Will it affect attracting future coaching talent to the Leafs? I don't know. But if I am a Coach that is being interviewed for a job, it would cross my mind.

Whether you liked Randy as a coach or not, one thing I am impressed with. He didn't throw any stones. He exited with class. More class than how the Leafs fired him.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/07/randy-carlyle-opens-up-about-being-fired-by-leafs

You even quoted the article, yet you ignore the fact that it was originally supposed to be in person, yet Randy told him to call him. Think it would have been much more cruel to make him drive the 5 hours to be fired in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad