Leafs Fans your thoughts about the Leafs 2018-2019

I think that Leafs....

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Who's fault is that? He did nothing cause the lazy **** was eating bon bons in Sweden while his team was grinding out wins. Very telling about his work ethic. After the **** he pulled you'd think you'd want to come back guns blazing. but no.

You realize you can’t play without a contract, right?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You do realize how similar this roster is compared to last seasons right?

Unless you consider the two main additions of Tavares and Muzzin to be “fairy boys” (a stupid term)?

Minus every shred of toughness, grit, and pushback that the former roster once had.

And all the possibilities that were passed over in favor of swelling the roster with more fairy boys.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Minus every shred of toughness, grit, and pushback that the former roster once had.

And all the possibilities that were passed over in favor of swelling the roster with more fairy boys.
ohhhh. I thought Mez made it up which was funnier.

Getting rid of Leivo was stupid and not targeting Simmonds who went for peanuts was also stupid.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If you think Komarov and Martin are different makers well.... lol

I’m also just having a hard time picturing adult who useses the term “fairy boys” seriously, though I suppose there’s no age restriction on this site.
Kadri had to play that role when they sat Martin. How'd that work out? I argue we win that series with Martin slotting in. It means Kadri doesn't miss games

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
A wealth of talent but compete & coaching is sub-par. The coaching should be an easy fix, only need a few tweaks here and there, proper manning being a big one, but that seems to be too much to expect because changing things means admitting that you were wrong at one point. The compete is a more difficult one. I don't believe we have the horses to grind out any playoff series victories. The skilled guys disappear too often & there isn't anyone to send out to change the momentum with a hard, physical forecheck or god forbid, drop the gloves when someone hits one of your top players from behind into the boards. I think we're in need of two hard -nosed forwards to play on the third line and a defenceman that can play in the bottom 4 that has an edge to his game.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Kadri had to play that role when they sat Martin. How'd that work out? I argue we win that series with Martin slotting in. It means Kadri doesn't miss games

Watch...Menzinger will blame Babcock and/or Lou for Kadri's head-hit and then advocate for a league-wide ban on hitting.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Toronto has four lines that can score. They'll beat any team that doesn't have four lines that can defend.
Right now, they're a more talented version of the 80's Leafs. They need to fire Babcock and get someone
who can come in like Pat Burns and straighten them out and hold the players accountable. Make them play
their position, take their man, and not make stupid mistakes. Get someone who doesn't coddle to their 'feelings'.
They're soft because no one is toughening them up enough.

Reactions: Tlo1 and yubbers

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Toronto has four lines that can score. They'll beat any team that doesn't have four lines that can defend.
Right now, they're a more talented version of the 80's Leafs. They need to fire Babcock and get someone
who can come in like Pat Burns and straighten them out and hold the players accountable. Make them play
their position, take their man, and not make stupid mistakes. Get someone who doesn't coddle to their 'feelings'.
They're soft because no one is toughening them up enough.

Babcock does not "coddle" players. :laugh:

Look up Sean Avery's Spittin Chiclets interview and hear for yourself what Babcock is actually like.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
ohhhh. I thought Mez made it up which was funnier.

Getting rid of Leivo was stupid and not targeting Simmonds who went for peanuts was also stupid.

Something tells me with this production you'd be shitting on Dubas for giving up what was given up for Simmonds. Not going after Simmonds and McQuaid seems to be a good move by Dubas.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Something tells me with this production you'd be ****ting on Dubas for giving up what was given up for Simmonds. Not going after Simmonds and McQuaid seems to be a good move by Dubas.

still a better ppg pace than Willy. lirl

Nope. Local boy that should be wearing the blue and white. exactly what we needed. If he asked fro 7 next year...buh bye. But we're in compete mode. He would've come in handy slotting into Browns position.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
still a better ppg pace than Willy. lirl

Nope. Local boy that should be wearing the blue and white. exactly what we needed. If he asked fro 7 next year...buh bye. But we're in compete mode. He would've come in handy slotting into Browns position.

What assets would you have given up for him?

Imo he's a shell of his former self surviving on past reputation rather than current abilities.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

Kadri reacted in the heat of the moment, do you think Martin would intimidate Chara?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I was the first person to dislike Babcock, wow, now its like the majority of Leaf Nation. Wish there was a stock for being first to know, to buy.

Listen to him speak. Constantly saying gud instead of well? Guy imo, has totally lost the dressing room. Totally.

I really think he should be fired right away, and Keefe brought in. I don't want Quenneville, he might be too long in the tooth for this group.

But someone new, has to be brought in, this team is going nowhere, and that is a travesty. So much talent.

Can you imagine if the Islanders still had Tavares? And we didn't? Try imagining this team under Babcock without Tavares.

Its a team without a playoff ticket.

Reactions: dsred

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Finished dead last in April of 16.
We're miles ahead of where we were expected to be.

Remember, pain is coming? That didn't just mean losing in 15/16.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If the Leafs can sort out their compete level and start-on-time demons, there's no team that we can't beat. Team is a legit contender who's only real weakness is on the mental side of things. Coaching is fine, except for the PP which is inexcusable.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I haven't had coffee yet but just gonna go through a few points.

• Lack of starting on time is concerning
  • Injuries hit at the worst time
  • Our system is bad - relying on the break out pass, it doesn't work that much. Often we fly the zone early and leave our defense out to dry, and Andersen but he's covered up a lot for us.
  • We are terrible at puck battles. We fish with our sticks but instead we need to be hard on our sticks and win more battles. Tavares is one guy that is incredibly hard to take the puck off of, he is heavy on his stick.
  • We have ZERO physicality. Hits do matter. Some will say "oh if you have hits you don't have the puck" - Its BS. You can check teams and still be skilled. I will always say this, if any of you have watched a UFC fight, checks are like leg kicks. They pay off later. We can't be the only ones being checked in a playoff series, if we check the other team, it'll help wear other teams out and our skill guys can actually take advantage of that.
  • Sparks was given the back up job and didn't earn it in training camp.
  • Petan acquisition really hasn't done anything.
  • My expectation as to a realistic goal for the season would be going to the 2nd round pushing TBL to 6-7 games.
  • Team needs to change it's top 9 - Add some grit. Also add another player or two that can play a physical game, adding 1 won't make us a physical team all of a sudden but 2-4 will.
  • Team tries to get by on talent alone a lot of the time, work ethic is poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred and SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is not an elite team. In Oct and Nov this team was rolling, however, since December they are 14th in the league and 9 th in the east which would be out a playoff spot.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The guys on the Steve Dangle Podcast nailed my thoughts on this season the other day: This is an incredibly unjoyful season, despite it being on pace for a potential new points record.

From Nylander, to Matthews injury, to the non stop offersheet talk, to the Rielly thing, theres been a constant crisis not allowing any enjoyment of this team.

The kids are still breaking franchise records left and right. Tavares is having one of the best UFA "year 1" in league history. Rielly and Freddy are both in the talk for major awards. Theres plenty to be extremely happy about, but its been totally overshadowed by the constant negativity of this season.

And on top of it all, its feeling more and more like the last 25 games of the season are just a death march that ends in TD Garden. Yay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad