Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall. Now 1-3 in Pre-Season :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Martin was a 800k Marlie call up, it would be a different story. People are rooting for guys like Marchment.

I just don't see the value in a 2.5 mil plug that doesn't even want to fight anymore. Wanting him off the team has nothing to do with his toughness, it's just the smart decision.

Polak is a capable 6D, just not with this team. He sticks out more than he would anywhere else because he can't make a quality first pass and the other teams take advantage of it. If he had 2 strong puck moving RHD ahead of him and a high end 3LD to move the puck for him, he wouldn't draw that much criticism.

Most of the other D in your list are either more skilled than Polak or got sat in the playoffs like McQuaid.

MCquaid was hurt. Not sat. The guys I listed are defintely not skilled over Polak. There's a reasomn polak played every game for us in the playoffs. Babcock celarly saw what he was doing.

I'm talking about the fanbase's perspective. McQuaid was adored in Boston

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Much better Buffalo squad tonight. Going to be a real test on that 4th line to play responsible hockey and see what the Harpur-Schmaltz pairing can do

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No doubt we matched the bruins hit for hit. But that didnt stop Krug from saying Leafs defense was as soft as butter.

We also got rid of a player who led us in those hits in the 1st 2 games in Kadri.

Honestly, its not all about hits/bodychecks. It's about winning a board battle, knocking someone over when they're trying to skate by you, clearing the front of the net with a purpose, not afraid get grimy in 1 on battles, etc..

Bruins have those type of players. Even their soft players can get gritty, AKA Tory Krug.

We need to teach that to our young players in Mathews/Nylander/Reilly..
What matters more: reality, or Krug's opinion?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ever since Darcy Tucker left, this fanbase has gotten so soft
I think the League has gotten softer, you can't blame anyone for seeing the crackdown on play that walks the edge of that razer like Tucker did. Players just can't play that way anymore. half your team would be suspended.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
What matters more: reality, or Krug's opinion?

Lol thats why we keep losing to Boston over and over again.

Bruins have a big rugged/skilled defense. Look at who just won the last 2 stanley cups. Please explain if Vegas and St. Louis was as soft as us.

You guys try to convince we can win with Skill and Skill alone every year and it gets proven wrong.

Just look at the Impact Sean Kuraly and Noel Acciari (2 robust 4th line player) did to us. They intimiated check after check...and made our soft defense turn the puck over.

Its not just skill. If you wanna win the Cup...you need the right amount of Skill and Grit to win. We clearly have the skill. Now we need the grit to go along with it.

If guys like Agostino/Harpur cant make that impact...than we need to look for players who can. Doesn't change the fact that we NEED it

Reactions: Kurtz

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Bruins have a big rugged/skilled defense. Look at who just won the last 2 stanley cups. Please explain if Vegas and St. Louis was as soft as us.

You guys try to convince we can win with Skill and Skill alone every year and it gets proven wrong.

Just look at the Impact Sean Kuraly and Noel Acciari (2 robust 4th line player) did to us. They intimiated check after check...and made our soft defense turn the puck over.

Its not just skill. If you wanna win the Cup...you need the right amount of Skill and Grit to win. We clearly have the skill. Now we need the grit to go along with it.

If guys like Agostino/Harpur cant make that impact...than we need to look for players who can. Doesn't change the fact that we NEED it
Leafs lost to Boston twice with this core, both times in 7 games. Arguably once if you think Tavares is a core player. And since the Leafs outhit Boston last year, it probably wasn't a lack of hitting that caused Toronto to lose. both teams had the same amount of giveaways, and Toronto had more takeaways also

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Marincin isnt Playing. Take it to the bank

The 3rd pairing is down to Harpur/Schmaltz/Sandin. 2 of the 3 will start opening night barring any injuries.

Sandin is clearly the best player out of the group...but for someone who's that young and with that much potential...do you really want him to start on the 3rd pairing on a playoff team. He's bound to get limited minutes.

Our top 4 will get most of the minutes

Travis Dermott averaged just over 17 minutes of ice time last season on the third pairing. The bottom pairing plays plenty of minutes, especially if Sandin does spot duty on the PK if needed.

It's not like a 4th forward line where they average 8-10 minutes.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

If you watched last years series vs Boston and came to the conclusion that we lost because of a lack of grit, then I dont know what to tell you.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs lost to Boston twice with this core, both times in 7 games. Arguably once if you think Tavares is a core player. And since the Leafs outhit Boston last year, it probably wasn't a lack of hitting that caused Toronto to lose

Again, its not about just hitting/body checks

It's about TIMELY and CONSISTENCY. I'm talking things like

-Knocking players over in a corner board battle. Not just trying to poke check the puck away like our D does
-Engaging in 1 on 1 battles throughout the ice (pushing, shoving, intimidating)
-Clearing the front of the Net with a Purpose. Cross-checking, bodychecking players away from the vision of the galie
-Knocking players down when they try to skate past you and not just trying to do a flyby stick check
-etc..

Stuff like this gets overlooked by the refs in the playoffs when it's all out war. Thats what the Bruins do and get away with it.

We complain about the refs letting them get away with it. Well reality is, its the playoffs. Yeah they're gonna let them get away with it. Maybe if we did it as well, they would let us get away with it as well.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If you watched last years series vs Boston and came to the conclusion that we lost because of a lack of grit, then I dont know what to tell you.

Grit was ONE of the reasons. Dont twist my words.

Are you really denying that the Big Bruins defense and their robust 4th line didnt make an impact? The same team that went all the way to the Finals and ended up losing to a team that was Bigger/Grittier than them?

Reactions: coupe93

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Again, its not about just hitting/body checks

It's about TIMELY and CONSISTENCY. I'm talking things like

-Knocking players over in a corner board battle. Not just trying to poke check the puck away like our D does
-Engaging in 1 on 1 battles throughout the ice (pushing, shoving, intimidating)
-Clearing the front of the Net with a Purpose. Cross-checking, bodychecking players away from the vision of the galie
-Knocking players down when they try to skate past you and not just trying to do a flyby stick check
-etc..

Stuff like this gets overlooked by the refs in the playoffs when it's all out war. Thats what the Bruins do and get away with it.

We complain about the refs letting them get away with it. Well reality is, its the playoffs. Yeah they're gonna let them get away with it. Maybe if we did it as well, they would let us get away with it as well.
"Leafs are soft as butter and Krug said nobody on Toronto throws hits!"
Actually, Toronto outhit Boston
"But Boston's hits pressured Toronto into giving the puck away!"
Actually, both teams had the same amount of giveaways
"well, it's my arbitrary standard of toughness that can't be quantified that really matters"
lol, sure. Whatever you say

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Grit was ONE of the reasons. Dont twist my words.

Are you really denying that the Big Bruins defense and their robust 4th line didnt make an impact? The same team that went all the way to the Finals and ended up losing to a team that was Bigger/Grittier than them?
Im not denying anything. But first and foremost, those guys are actually good defenders, unlike Harpur.

People are putting way too much of a priority on "grit" instead of actual ability to play hockey.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im not denying anything. But first and foremost, those guys are actually good defenders, unlike Harpur.

How about we acyually seem him play more than just 1 pres-season game to come to that conclusion. We kep saying the same about Polak, yet Babcock kept playing him.

But like I said, if Harpur fails...we need to look for someone who can fill the role.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
How about we acyually seem him play more than just 1 pres-season game to come to that conclusion. We kep saying the same about Polak, yet Babcock kept playing him.

But like I said, if Harpur fails...we need to look for someone who can fill the role.
Harpur has played NHL games before, we already have a decent sample size of Harpur being bad.

Just because Babcock kept playing Polak doesnt mean he was an effective dman. He was pretty bad. And we all know how Babcock likes to play favourites.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

People are putting way too much of a priority on "grit" instead of actual ability to play hockey.

See now you're just changing the topic. You're making it sound like I want to bring Colton Orr back out of retirement.

I'm talking about the players that we currently HAVE on the team. Ben Harpur is a Toronto Maple Leaf. Thasts a fact. I'm saying lets see what we have with him.

If he sucks, than we need to look for someone who has the grit he has but is an upgrade.

Again, it doesnt change the main point i'm trying to make which is that WE need the necessary amount of grit to match our skill

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Harpur has played NHL games before, we already have a decent sample size of Harpur being bad.

Just because Babcock kept playing Polak doesnt mean he was an effective dman. He was pretty bad. And we all know how Babcock likes to play favourites.

Polak played his part perfectly. Agree to disagree.

Players who were exposed and bad were Gardiner and Hainsey

Reactions: JayDog17

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I personally don't want Harpur on the team but I don't think it's the end of the world if he is the 6/7 d-man.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I have this sinking feeling that Marincin is going to make the team...
...cuz Babcock.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed. Social media is already up in arms though about Harpur.

People making such a big deal about a 6th D-man. As long as Harpur does his job, he's a perfect 6th dman

That’s the problem he’s ever been able to consistently “do his job” what are the odds he just happens to find consistency now?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
That’s the problem he’s ever been able to consistently “do his job” what are the odds he just happens to find consistency now?

How about we just wait see. We're literally talking about a 6th/7th dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad