Post-Game Talk: Leafs fall. Now 1-3 in Pre-Season :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
not very confident in our backups but preseason record means very little.
what was it the Stalberg preseason when we went 9-1 then went 0-9 to start the season. so this record means nothing

Reactions: Ciao

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Welp, seems like Petan is on the outside looking in. Needs a big game to stay in contention.

Also looking like Babs found his 4th line.

Really hoping this means Harpur is on the outside, but I'm afraid its the opposite.

Seems like only the 3RW spot and bottom pair is open unless something drastic happens.
I was reading onthe hot stove that we have petan and aberg skill-sets, we need more of the Agostino types. I.agree

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Maybe, but I think they’ll be a lot like last year.

Except that they'll have switched out at likely 4-5 forwards, 3-4 defensemen a back up goalie, have a completely difference composition of PP and PK (with new coaches as well), but sure, will just the same.

Reactions: Ciao

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Doesn't mean much if your heavier and taller players (AM, Goat, Marincin) do not play a heavy game and the Bruins shorties (Krug, Marchand, and MacAvoy) play one foot taller and are allowed to take liberties at your stars.
So who in our lineup do you recommend replacing with the mold of player you desire? Kapanen and Johnsson? Nylander and Marner? Rielly and Barie?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I was reading onthe hot stove that we have petan and aberg skill-sets, we need more of the Agostino types. I.agree

Did you notice the 1st game against Buffalo where we were getting out muscled and out hit on 80% of the plays? We looked scared to go into corners with those guys. Ya, I know..we won the game but the playoffs are going to be getting hit and playing a team that can score.

We need some guys that are willing to make the other teams D think twice about going back for pucks. We don't need to put them through the boards or anything...but this stick checking stuff is not going to cut it.

Babs is weird in the way he always talks about "getting in the other teams way" but never talks about hitting. It seems that Dubas figured that if the coach is going to want to play non-physical hockey...might as well have a skill guy doing that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except that they'll have switched out at likely 4-5 forwards, 3-4 defensemen a back up goalie, have a completely difference composition of PP and PK (with new coaches as well), but sure, will just the same.

Comprehension

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did you notice the 1st game against Buffalo where we were getting out muscled and out hit on 80% of the plays? We looked scared to go into corners with those guys. Ya, I know..we won the game but the playoffs are going to be getting hit and playing a team that can score.

We need some guys that are willing to make the other teams D think twice about going back for pucks. We don't need to put them through the boards or anything...but this stick checking stuff is not going to cut it.

Babs is weird in the way he always talks about "getting in the other teams way" but never talks about hitting. It seems that Dubas figured that if the coach is going to want to play non-physical hockey...might as well have a skill guy doing that.

Why can’t Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and Marner lay the body and make the other other teams D think twice?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting how Auston Matthews has stepped into his role as an $11+ million player with relative ease the first two games, while not so much for Mitch Marner. Actual abilities aside, I wonder if the off season negotiations had an impact on Marner's mental preparation?
I don’t find that interesting in the least.

Reactions: egd27

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So who in our lineup do you recommend replacing with the mold of player you desire? Kapanen and Johnsson? Nylander and Marner? Rielly and Barie?

Tkachuk in over any of our LWers. A right handed Muzzin for our #3 RHD but you gotta give to get and the money has to work. Not happenning soon.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Tkachuk in over any of our LWers. A right handed Muzzin for our #3 RHD but you gotta give to get and the money has to work. Not happenning soon.
That's the thing about those Tkachuk/Wilson/Foligno type players: you gotta pay up for them.

You can fill the bottom end of your lineup with the beloved grit players, but it doesn't do much at all. We're not very many years removed from the Orr/McLaren/Bolland/Clarkson/Fraser filling out the bottom of the lineup and ironically I read the same complaints about our lineup back then as I do now.

Reactions: ToneDog

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Agreed. We're locked in on the right side with Marner, Willy, Kapanen for the next 3 years at the minimum. It's not that I'm throwing him out because of a couple preseason games, but the fit isn't there. Definitely a guy we should be looking into moving at some point
What's the time frame on some point like some point today? Or in 4 years start of preseason.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Harpur does not even touch the puck in the video I posted.

Right, because the video your posted didn't show the play Harpur made that lead up to the goal... If Harpur did't make that good play, the goal never would have happened.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Right, because the video your posted didn't show the play Harpur made that lead up to the goal... If Harpur did't make that good play, the goal never would have happened.
i could be wrong here but if i remember the goal correctly toronto turned the puck over in the offensive zone..buffalo came back up the ice with possession, then sandin poked check the buffalo forward to send in the leafs forward for the goal. pretty sure harpur had no part in that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad