Leafs extend Sheldon Keefe

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Keefe has actually done well for Toronto, but this is probably an extension that you wouldnt see from a team with less financial cache. Unless he wins a Cup, there's almost no chance he completes this next contract... and unless the team makes some real noise in the playoffs this year, he may not get to start it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Expected, doesn’t mena he’s safe though. Just how things are done with coaches.

Reactions: uncleben

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Might as well have just kept Dubas around at this point, y'know?

Seeing as how they're running it all back, AGAIN. :biglaugh:

What do mean running it back? Did you expect they’d get rid of Matthew’s, Nylander or Marner? Unless theyre unwilling to re-sign that was never the plan.

They got rid of most of their problems and added upgrades.

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot
Reaves>>>Simmonds (for that role
Klingberg/Anyone really >>>>>>>>Holl

Rumours they’re not done with the D

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What do mean running it back? Did you expect they’d get rid of Matthew’s, Nylander or Marner? Unless theyre unwilling to re-sign that was never the plan.

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot

Every year every fanbase thinks the new guys are better. I’d say Bertuzzi is an upgrade on Bunting and the others are at best a wash or downgrade. Domi is on his 5th or 6th team in the same number of years.
Any real improvement will need to come from the core.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yeah, people need to stop blaming coaches for poorly constructed teams. The Leafs's faults lie on the President and GM who built an absurdly top heavy team with no depth that only managed to discover their own end of the ice last year.

This narrative is laughable. They’ve been good defensively for years. Lack of depth scoring is accurate, but the own end stuff is a dumb, untrue narrative from people who haven’t watched the team closely enough.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot

These are all extremely marginal upgrades at best that don't solve the Leafs fundamental issues: 1) Morgan Rielly is not a #1 defenseman you can win a Cup with 2) Their bottom six and overall organizational depth is not up to the standard of a serious contender.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
They absolutely should have done that, and should have done it years ago. Trade one of the core 4 for D and depth. The fact that that was never the plan is precisely why they can't win in the playoffs.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
:laugh: imagine winning 1 series out of 8 and being given more millions of dollars.
Good thing we're not a poverty franchise relying on revenue sharing and can replace him tomorrow if we wanted.

I'm fine with this, it would have been a distraction for the regular season for everyone, especially with the horrible media members in TO. Keeps things quiet/calm in the locker room and with the media. If he doesn't perform, fire him, MLSE has the money, and you bring in the guy you think can right the ship. If it works out, then great.

As for his playoff decisions, they haven't been the greatest. Some questionable decision in the Montreal series, playing Thornton who was slow as a snail and playing Johnsson after he missed almost the entire season to injury, were costly mistakes.

Horrible decision in game 5 vs Columbus, started Nylander as the 2C and stacked the top line. That cost us the game.

I see why Tre extended him, I'm not a fan of it, but not overly upset either. Like I said, easily replaced for MLSE, just gets rid of a distraction for the team.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot

If they were a serious organization about winning, they would reshape the whole team. Not just the periphery, again! Shanny just don't care. His mindset is just get in, and hope that maybe one year it will click. That's not a good strategy, imo

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot

The "core four" remains, Keefe remains, Shanny remains, and outside of the transactions you listed it's largely the same team just with a different backup.

So yeah, obviously it isn't the exact same - it never is - but it still feels like it to me and to many others I'm sure. Guess we'll see if next season's any different.

But I'll give Keefe credit for finally getting out of that pesky first round, talk about a confidence boost, eh? Shanny clearly has his back, which I still find surprising since Keefe was a Dubas pick was he not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad