Leafs extend Sheldon Keefe

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
These are all extremely marginal upgrades at best that don't solve the Leafs fundamental issues: 1) Morgan Rielly is not a #1 defenseman you can win a Cup with 2) Their bottom six and overall organizational depth is not up to the standard of a serious contender.

Neither is Brian Dumolin, yet Pittsburgh won the cup in 2017.

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Neither is Brian Dumolin, yet Pittsburgh won the cup in 2017.
Matthews and Tavares aren't Crosby and Malkin. That Penguins team was also so deep up front they were running Kessel and Bonino (when he was still good) on their third line. Leafs bottom six is trash.

I do think there was a brief window for the Leafs to build a team similar to those Pens teams though. It would have required keeping Kadri and having him, Matthews and Tavares each center their own line. Instead Dubas made that horrible trade for Barrie and Kerfoot.

Reactions: Voight

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Treliving mentioned that there are some things Sheldon will need to adjust, it could be playing more with hitting/checking more.

We will see if that is part of the solution.
This reminds me of when Boudreau had his own offensive style and George McPhee wanted him to do a 180 and start using a trap style instead.

Don't think Boudreau lasted too long after that.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They absolutely should have done that, and should have done it years ago. Trade one of the core 4 for D and depth. The fact that that was never the plan is precisely why they can't win in the playoffs.
They’ve struggled scoring in the playoffs not keeping the puck out. You guys really need to actually watch the leafs before commenting.

This guy got outcoached by Ducharme.

Attachments

• 1B519A67-DAD8-4BD0-AF9B-E8FDBC2716D0.jpeg
    1B519A67-DAD8-4BD0-AF9B-E8FDBC2716D0.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Treliving can still fire him at anytime this is just so Keeefe and Treliving don't have to answer any questions during the year. If there is any reason that Treliving wants to make a coaching change he will do so without any hesitation.
This.

There are plenty of coaches who have been fired after signing an extension.

This is to avoid questions about his status during the year. But if they go on a ten game losing streak or something, he is gone.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Treliving doesn’t want to rock the boat by making big changes. Ta loco doesn’t want to rock the boat! Leafs should have rocked the boat after that Montreal abomination of a series.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Yeah, people need to stop blaming coaches for poorly constructed teams.

Coaches do have a say in how a team in constructed.
Which for Keefe means that he's had a say in the past 4 years on the construction of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad