Leafs extend Sheldon Keefe

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Treliving can still fire him at anytime this is just so Keeefe and Treliving don't have to answer any questions during the year. If there is any reason that Treliving wants to make a coaching change he will do so without any hesitation.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I like it, he was never the problem. I'm intruiged to see him and his abilities away from Dubas.

• Haha
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Treliving’s best skill is extending his stay as GM. Extending Keefe allows him one more coaching fire for his tenure. So this extension shouldn’t be surprising.

Keefe shouldn’t be extended though, not if the Leaf’s want to win anything in the playoffs. The Florida series was a showcase for just how inept Keefe is as a coach. Couldn’t get his guys to battle the bullying Panthers. Couldn’t adjust his gameplan. Couldn’t play to the Leaf’s strengths and played right into Floridas gameplan.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
What do mean running it back? Did you expect they’d get rid of Matthew’s, Nylander or Marner? Unless theyre unwilling to re-sign that was never the plan.

They got rid of most of their problems and added upgrades.

Bertuzzi>>Bunting
Domi>>Kerfoot
Reaves>>>Simmonds (for that role
Klingberg/Anyone really >>>>>>>>Holl

Rumours they’re not done with the D
Stockholm syndrome lol

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A strange decision imo. It seems like a big vote of confidence in a coach that gets out coached every year in the playoffs. The playoffs is where coaching really becomes important as both sides play the matchup game and need to adjust as the series progresses.
Maybe Treleving thinks that, like the core 4, Keefe will learn from his mistakes. Personally I would have gone for a shakeup of both the core 4 and the coach rather than once again playing around with the support players. This group has the talent but seems far too complacent.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
6 months ago, I'd have put the odds of Dubas out and Keefe extended heading into 2023-24 at about 5%. Uncommon to see a new GM retain the old GMs hire.

With that said, Keefe has been a quality coach for the Leafs by most accounts. He's had some talented rosters to work with but can't discount the .627 W% across 3 seasons.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Keefe is the new Todd McLellan. Lots of regular season success with poor playoff performances each year. Don't see how this helps the Leafs tbh.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Running it all back?
They've made plenty of changes.
I'm not a fan of this move; but, let's not get silly.

As I mentioned earlier, sure there have been some changes to the roster, which you would expect during the offseason.

But once again we're seeing Brendan Shanahan (going into his TENTH season as president, I believe?) trying his darnedest to figure out how to build a winner here in Toronto - and the changes he's made don't really have that "whole new team" feel, y'know?

I was surprised they kept Keefe after LAST year, let alone this year - especially after Dubas was axed. Thought for sure Keefe would go with him.

But once the puck drops for Game 1 I just get the sense it's going to be largely the same overall team.....running it back for another kick at the can.

If the Leafs don't make any more progress (read: get to the 3rd round) next season, is it finally time to consider maybe Shanny's the wrong guy for the job?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I mean, the only real consequence between extending him now and not extending him now is the fact there won't be rumors about possible his extension.

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
Keefe’s next goal is to win 2 games in the second round. Seems like a difficult task for the Leafs, lets see if he can do it. Because if he does, he’s going down as a legend for the Leafs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sure. But he likely gets at least this season.
Not likely. If the Leafs come out of the gate slow Keafe’s job will be on the line. He wouldn’t be the first coach fired closely after he got an extension.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Treliving mentioned that there are some things Sheldon will need to adjust, it could be playing more with hitting/checking more.

We will see if that is part of the solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad