Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Adam Brooks for two years (725K AAV)

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
What am I missing about the significance of a two way contract? I thought if you were sent down to the Marlies, the first $950,000 did not count against the cap. I really do not care what a player makes, only his caphit concerns me. Does this two way contract mean that it does not count against the 50 contract limit when playing in the AHL? Otherwise, I see no benefit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What am I missing about the significance of a two way contract? I thought if you were sent down to the Marlies, the first $950,000 did not count against the cap. I really do not care what a player makes, only his caphit concerns me. Does this two way contract mean that it does not count against the 50 contract limit when playing in the AHL? Otherwise, I see no benefit.
He gets paid an NHL salary when with the Leafs, an AHL salary when on the Marlies

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Thats the thing.

Not every prosepect has to turn into a top six player to have value. If he turns into a replacement level 4th liner for even 100 NHL games he will have made a positive impact.
And he would make some money. That's a successful career.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A one way contract is a disincentive for a budget driven team to acquire a marginal player.

A two way contract is more attractive in a trade.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If he can be our 5th centre and GOAT or 6th I would be fine with this. Centre depth is always good.

I always had Miro Aaltonen pencilled in as our 4th line centre, I wish that had worked out.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If he can be our 5th centre and GOAT or 6th I would be fine with this. Centre depth is always good.

I always had Miro Aaltonen pencilled in as our 4th line centre, I wish that had worked out.
I don't miss Miro. He was invisible.

Brooks reminds me of a more focused, less skilled Peter Holland.

If Brooks could squeeze into 250 NHL games, like Holland did, and then follow that up with a KHL contract or two, that would be a very nice pro career for an overage fourth-round pick. He would probably pick up at least two million dollars along the way, some positive life experience, and set himself up for life. However, he has a very long way to go before accomplishing any of that.

Prospects like him are a dime a dozen to the Leafs, but I really like this player and I'm rooting for him on a personal level. I hope he succeeds.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The organizational depth at center isn't good. He will probably play a role at some point next season. He has a chance to make the opening night roster with a good camp plus Keefe knows him well.
I think opening night is a real long shot for him.

He would do well to get into some games as an injury call-up, and I think that's a better possibility.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
It’s showing on cap friendly as a one way contract. It’s showing he makes the same salary in the nhl or AHL.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
It’s showing on cap friendly as a one way contract. It’s showing he makes the same salary in the nhl or AHL.

Does it really matter whatsoever how much he makes with the marlies? If he is needed for a call up hes cheap and probably passes thru waivers. Not to mention not a complete and utter liability either.

A deal in which both sides win. GJ Dubas

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You actually believe thats the path of all. Don’t pretend you know a player. He’s a properly developed prospect right now

If he was going to be a full time NHL guy he would be by now it doesn't take years to know if a guy is an NHL player.

We knew right away with Nylander, Hyman, Dermott, Kapanen, Moore, Engvall, Rielly, Sandin etc.

It doesn't take years to know if a guy is an NHL player you are going to know very quickly

Brooks isn't a full time NHL guy and never will be

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Should we hope guys like Brooks develop into solid-good players, bc if that’s the case, Leafs will be a great pipeline of talents.
Having said that, Brooks didn’t impress during his brief time with the Leafs. Hope he gets better

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Isn't being paid like one either.

Sure but I'd rather see an AHL spot go to guys with a chance to make it.

That's what the AHL is it's for developing NHL players and Brooks isn't a full time NHL guy and never will be.

and if you want an NHL player that money Could still have been used better, Jason Spezza is proof of that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad