Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Adam Brooks for two years (725K AAV)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
For an NHL player it's not old but for a guy STILL in thr minors yeah it is
He got his chance. he didnt start in the AHL till he was like 22 or something. not like we're talking about a player who has been in the AHL for 7 years. its been 2 year and I wouldn't say there was any room at all for him prior to this season. I think you have to give players a bit of a chance here. I dont understand how you can just write him off so quickly. Kid has plenty of time. and thank god you don't run any NHL Teams.

But hey you're entitled to you're own opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He got his chance. he didnt start in the AHL till he was like 22 or something. not like we're talking about a player who has been in the AHL for 7 years. its been 2 year and I wouldn't say there was any room at all for him prior to this season. I think you have to give players a bit of a chance here. I dont understand how you can just write him off so quickly. Kid has plenty of time. and thank god you don't run any NHL Teams.

But hey you're entitled to you're own opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

It's not wrong though you'll see

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Where can I buy a crystal ball? I'd love to know the future like you apparently do.
You don't know anything at all. Seems more like you're just a casual fan angry over a measly 2x 750k contract.
He's got a chance and you WILL see exactly how wrong you are. Brooks isn't that bad.

He's got nno chance to be anything more than an injury fill in

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What are the lottery numbers tonight? I'd love to win.
Again you do not know that. He is still young and can win a position out of camp. They signed him for a reason they obviously know more than you. I think he has a stronger chance to just being an injury call up. but I can see him giving Goat a challenge for the 4th line duties.
I bet there were plenty of people who were saying the exact same thing as you are about Engvall, He sure blossomed out of no where. not many people seen him becoming a Full NHLer so how can I really take you seriously? You have provided zero information to make anyone believe you know what you're talking about.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If he was going to be a full time NHL guy he would be by now it doesn't take years to know if a guy is an NHL player.

We knew right away with Nylander, Hyman, Dermott, Kapanen, Moore, Engvall, Rielly, Sandin etc.

It doesn't take years to know if a guy is an NHL player you are going to know very quickly

Brooks isn't a full time NHL guy and never will be
Very cynical attitude there ... what about Mik?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So here's what I like about Adam Brooks, who has got a lot of ink in this thread today.

Coming from Western Canada as I do, I enjoy the fact that he is also from Winnipeg and I'm impressed that he had a full five-year junior career with one team, the Regina Pats.

He had to learn to overcome setbacks in his career-- it hasn't been an easy path. After being drafted by the Pats as a 15 year old he didn't make the team in his first year of eligibility and was sent back to Winnipeg for another year of minor hockey. Then, after making the Pats he was passed over twice in the first two years of his NHL draft eligibility, only being selected as an overage junior in 2016 two rounds after his teammate Sam Steel, who is two years younger. Those are important lessons in humility for a young man to learn -- that things don't always come easily and you have to work and persevere for success.

He did succeed in Regina, where the Pats are second-most the important home team after the Roughriders, and as a league scoring champion, a two- time first- team all-star and the team captain he would have held as much celebrity in Regina as most accomplished pros would have in many NHL cities. Regina is a hockey (and football) town, and Adam Brooks would have learned to work in the public eye from an early age, playing five full seasons with the Pats from age 16 on.

Adam Brooks is a skilled player, and a young man with some substance and leadership potential. I think hes the type of person that fits well into the Leafs system. He's worked hard to be where he is and I don't imagine he will stop working to reach his goal any time soon.

I just hope he makes it.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

With his signing, which C in the pipeline, can we no longer sign? Who has this signing impacted?

Do you think that the Marlies don't need any Centers?

Do you not think, it's important to have depth players, in case every other C in the organization gets injured, and at least there is someone to call up?

Do you think our developing wingers, shouldn't have at least good quality AHL C's and other players, to play with, to help their development?

In case you missed it, Leafs can sign up to 50 players. Many of those players are signed, with no intent of them player for the Leafs, except in extreme conditions. Maybe he's a late bloomer surprise, maybe not, but in the meantime, he was probably the best natural C on the Marlies this year, and likely will be next year too... and they need to ice a decent team, to help prospects that might be higher percentage guys. Unless somehow you think SDA should immediately expected to be the top C on the Marlies this coming year, or that such a prospect should have that pressure thrust upon them.

What you seem to fail to understand, is that there is far more to this, than just the Leafs main roster. It's the Marlies, it's all of the players development, it's about surrounding prospects with quality teammates, it is having cheap replacements in case of extreme injuries, and it's about giving a kid like this, who has thrived eventually everywhere else they've played a chance.

Reactions: weems and 67Leafs67

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This signing screams AHL player who if needed can come up to fill in. Like Petan he will likely be nothing more than an AHL player. It’s too bad he fits our MO in that he is another undersized “skilled” player. He also represents another contract we can expose but I can’t see a team Seattle taking him.

This is a great big meh to me.

Reactions: Ciao

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Good luck to the guy, he's another good character, and throughout just about all of his career to date, he's improved year on year.

Hope it continues and he surprises a few.

Reactions: Ciao

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
All these people saying why sign him or no point, you do realize we need depth and why not use it on players who you have grown, and are familiar with the system. Brooks also a chance to be a nice bottom 6 player for us. He doesn't fit the small skilled player group either. That just seems like a narrative people us.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This signing screams AHL player who if needed can come up to fill in. Like Petan he will likely be nothing more than an AHL player. It’s too bad he fits our MO in that he is another undersized “skilled” player. He also represents another contract we can expose but I can’t see a team Seattle taking him.

This is a great big meh to me.
You're quite right on all of this, but obviously management sees something useful in this player who might never become an NHL regular but is at least a good AHL center and injury replacement.

Not every note is played with a crescendo, you know. There are many smaller ones that tie a piece together.

I'm still very happy for the player and wishing him and the Leafs every success.

I hope he surprises you, and in a good way.

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why motivates someone to pretend to know something like this?

I mean, you don't think that we actually believe in your psychic abilities, do you? Or that you can accurate predict hockey prospects with certainty?

Seriously WTF...

Well it's really not that hard, if he starts as a winger which a lot of centers do he's not getting a spot because the Leafs have wingers coming out the ass, they have an endless supply of wingers.

If he is seen as a center there is less depth there in terms of sheer numbers but still Matthews, Tavares, Kerfoot and Spezza, OR Matthews Tavares Spezza Gauthier

Either way good luck with that.

Fact is he's a forward and as such he's buried in the depth chart.

If he was a RD we wouldn't be having this conversation but as a forward he's buried, just like Bracco

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Also remember that he's not playing so he's not developing which means he's not getting better which puts him at an even further disadvantage when trying to steal a job from an established NHL guy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well it's really not that hard, if he starts as a winger which a lot of centers do he's not getting a spot because the Leafs have wingers coming out the ass, they have an endless supply of wingers.

If he is seen as a center there is less depth there in terms of sheer numbers but still Matthews, Tavares, Kerfoot and Spezza, OR Matthews Tavares Spezza Gauthier

Either way good luck with that.

Fact is he's a forward and as such he's buried in the depth chart.

If he was a RD we wouldn't be having this conversation but as a forward he's buried, just like Bracco

Who plays C for the Marlies???? Given his inability to answer any questions so far, either he doesn't want to answer, or he has me on ignore (yes, I'm very offensive..lol), and someone else better ask.

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Quick Shifts: Where does Jeremy Bracco go from here? - Sportsnet.ca

Aside from top defensive prospects Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren, who will both be gunning for full-time NHL gigs in 2020-21, I asked coach Greg Moore to name a few Marlies that especially impressed him with their development since his arrival in December.

Adam Brooks, C: “Really impressed me in terms of his skill, his brain, how good of a person he is on and off the ice with his teammates. I don’t think there was any guy in the room that could point a finger and say they don’t care for being around Brooksy. He’s just a really good person, fun to be around, loves the game. But he obviously got his first taste of the National Hockey League this year, and it was really impressive to see him thrive within those opportunities. He definitely took advantage of time on the ice, his time up there, and then when he came back, you could also see a level of confidence that he’s gained from that experience, and he’ll carry to continue into his development.

Reactions: stickty111 and Ciao

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
For an NHL player it's not old but for a guy STILL in thr minors yeah it is

Almost half the forwards on the Leafs this year were 23 or older when they made their NHL debut. That's not to say Brooks will definitely make it - I have no idea - but if the sample size of guys A) not debuting until 23, and/or B) not becoming full-time NHLers until 24+ is that big on one team for one season, then it certainly isn't enough of an outlier to refer to him as "old" without any other context.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad