News Article: Leafs expansion draft scenario (from the hockey news)!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
you know i've been going through this over and over in my head and I think i finally hit on a potential outcome I really like....

This may be the perfect time to target a team with 2 good goalies in need of protection, and trade a kappy/johnsson/kerfoot for a hopefully good young goalie, since Freddy is going to be UFA and we probably won't want to be giving him a longterm raise at age 31.

Can anyone see a good goalie target for us? a team that looks like they'll have 2 good goalies in need of protection? and that hopefully has a need for forwards, too?
Jusse Saros, perhaps?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
-Why protect, or even extend a 32 yr old goaltender, who doesn't win game 7's?
-I would protect Rielly, Dermott and JLindgren, if anything better becomes eligible, then you can expose Lindgren.
-Hyman will be 29, and no UFAs should be protected

The point is that UFAs don't need to be protected.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
you know i've been going through this over and over in my head and I think i finally hit on a potential outcome I really like....

This may be the perfect time to target a team with 2 good goalies in need of protection, and trade a kappy/johnsson/kerfoot for a hopefully good young goalie, since Freddy is going to be UFA and we probably won't want to be giving him a longterm raise at age 31.

Can anyone see a good goalie target for us? a team that looks like they'll have 2 good goalies in need of protection? and that hopefully has a need for forwards, too?
Isn't that how they ended up with Bernier and Toskala?
Not that history would repeat itself but that would have to make you wary.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

And Andrew Raycroft.

But also Freddy Andersen.

It all depends on the quality of the hockey people making the evaluations and the trades.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd be pretty confident in saying that one of kerfoot/johnsson/kapanen will be traded within the next 2 years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

well, I'm assuming we would target an actual good goalie, of course.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'd be pretty confident in saying that one of kerfoot/johnsson/kapanen will be traded within the next 2 years.

on the right side we have marner (assuming her signs) and nylander. in the best case scenario kapanen is a 3rd line winger. I suspect he is the piece moved out. We need a 3rd line center and dont have much in the pipeline and we are pretty thin on left wing as well. Kapanen could probably be made expendable by bracco in a year or two.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I would hope that we're not looking for someone to be "the guy" and make flashy acrobatic saves like those two. Just a big guy with strong fundamentals who won't lose us games.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
why wait when you can panic right now?

:scared::scared::scared:

I remember Leafs fans going nuts thinking when they going lose either Leivo or Leiposic to Vegas. Imagine the trauma in LeafLand when an actual NHLer is lost to Seattle. But isn't it a good thing to lose a good player? It means you have even better ones protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad